Dragon 1/144 F-15A ASAT

This is a little post for mark73 really, I will do this one as a little side project to the two ACTIVEs or S/MTD's havent decided yet.  Well the first shots are of the box and the bits.

img0894c.jpg

img0895fv.jpg

img0896zq.jpg

img0897lx.jpg

Look at the flash on those buggers and the left intake is missing half of its roof!!! Might just scrap the F-15 and keep the missile... hhmm...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Dazz,

Really nice find, where did you find it? is there any way to fix the intake? Would a piece of plastic card replace the missing piece? Nice to see a single seat one, don't know why revell never did a decent single seater after the great job they made of the mudhen.

I was quite surprised to find it tbh. I found it on kingkit. I usually search on there every few days and if I see something I like I buy there and then. I bought some Dragon 1/144 Seahawks on there last week and it turned up with 4 models in the box. Bit of a result really!! I reckon I could rescue the intake with card or something. I'm gonna compare this mould to the LS one I have and go from there.

Shouldn't take me too long to build this one tho.

As for the single seater, the same can be said for their excellent Rafael, Typhoon and F-18 E. if you haven't seen them, do! They are all excellent models and I personally think they would give their 1/48 examples a run for their money. I guess it's a future thing??....

Kind Regards

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio
  • Like 1

This particular kit was okay for Dragon, but it had a few fit issues when it came out, partly due to them trying to use a common mold for both the single and twin seater F-15 kits. It might be easier to just stick the missile on the LS kit as I think that one builds a little easier for a single seater. Still, I can't wait to see what you manage to accomplish with it.

This particular kit was okay for Dragon, but it had a few fit issues when it came out, partly due to them trying to use a common mold for both the single and twin seater F-15 kits. It might be easier to just stick the missile on the LS kit as I think that one builds a little easier for a single seater. Still, I can't wait to see what you manage to accomplish with it.

I've gotta be honest, I am thinking along the same lines as yourself regarding this F-15, there is something about that nose that I just do not like. Still I have the missile and the decals for use later on. I have a plan for this one, dreading trying to attempt said plan but I'm willing to give it a go.

I don't know how you guys manage 1/144! :lol:

Dave

What can I say? We are gluttons for punishment!! :P I'm limited to 1/144 due to the lack of room at home (when I move out, then different story! :evil_laugh: ). Altho you can get away with a lot more with 1/144 than you could with say 1/48 :D

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I've gotta be honest, I am thinking along the same lines as yourself regarding this F-15, there is something about that nose that I just do not like. Still I have the missile and the decals for use later on. I have a plan for this one, dreading trying to attempt said plan but I'm willing to give it a go.

What can I say? We are gluttons for punishment!! :P I'm limited to 1/144 due to the lack of room at home (when I move out, then different story! :evil_laugh: ). Altho you can get away with a lot more with 1/144 than you could with say 1/48 :D

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Try storing 1/32 nd scale models. I think I need a new house just to accomodate them and the train set which occupies a 10x10 foot L shape signature.

Monty

• Like 1

Try storing 1/32 nd scale models. I think I need a new house just to accomodate them and the train set which occupies a 10x10 foot L shape signature.

Monty

Thats nothing! Try storing enough Scalextric track to fill a garage thats big enough to hold two Land Rover Discovery's and is 3-4 layers high. Could never get enough juice all the way around it tho. :(

Seriously tho, I'm running out of room with my stash and all I have is 1/144's a few 1/72's and my first ever 1/48! Dunno how you guys do it.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Thats nothing! Try storing enough Scalextric track to fill a garage thats big enough to hold two Land Rover Discovery's and is 3-4 layers high. Could never get enough juice all the way around it tho. :(

Seriously tho, I'm running out of room with my stash and all I have is 1/144's a few 1/72's and my first ever 1/48! Dunno how you guys do it.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Know the feeling Dazz.

My friend and I joined our Scalextrix track together and that took up a massive amount of space so I know how you feel about the power to it. We used 2 transformers for the layout and it worked although it does not sound anywhere near the size of yours.

Dazz,

I think you are very brave in building something as small as this....anyone can build a 1:32 :wicked:

....this takes a lot more patience and a steady hand. { I know as I have built this scale but not an Eagle aircraft too!! }

Looking very good . I am sure you can make this into a super little build.. :thumbsup:

Good luck :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Houston, once again thank you for the kind words of encouragement. :)

Same as with the ACTIVE I have not had much chance to do anything the last two weeks which is starting to annoy me. Don't think I will get all of my planned models finished before the deadline, I will bloody try damnit tho >.<

img0911t.jpg

I tried to paint the little melted robot as best as I could, but that thing is shocking. There is no detail on it what-so-ever so I just went with what I felt seemed okay. I needed to have a pilot in the seat as I want to display this model as its in flight. Well thats the plan, it might just take a flight to the bin. didn't realise how far forward Jonny5 was... hhmm....

img0913s.jpg

The rear bulkhead had a massive gap in it, so I put this there and going to sort it's shape out at a later date and see what I can do with it.

img0912u.jpg

The main body, well where can I start with this one? If you look at the main fuselage you'll see two holes between the engines and the wings. They are actually the locating holes for the bottom half of the fuselage... not impressed with that.

img0914ic.jpg

Just thought I would display the two Eagles next to each other, guess which one I prefer??

img0908na.jpg

This is my failed attempt at the ASAT missile, I might just try to make another one out of something. Dunno yet.

Thank you for reading,

Kind Regards,

Dazz

This is my failed attempt at the ASAT missile, I might just try to make another one out of something. Dunno yet.

Thank you for reading,

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Keep the faith Dazz, I had some surgery to do on some weapons myself, throw it into a drill and use a razor saw to save the rear fin section, some thick sprue should work for the main body, you could probably shape that in a drill also.

I will try Mark, I was thinking of just scrapping the missile in its entirety. The fins I can make from plasticard and they'll look a hell of a lot better. The sprue idea has crossed my mind as well as various other tubes. So much for an out of box build :P

Kind Regards

Dazz

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Dave, I am trying with this model as it is trying my patience... I might just scrap this model entirely and use the Academy kits I have. Pictures will show why...

img0916en.jpg

Fixed the Air intake too ;)

img0915nq.jpg

Now I am sure that everyone can see that the rear bulkhead is wrong, I followed what the instructions showed me and got this... thing. Doesn't look like an F-15 to me at all, that nose is hideous! I have tried to "bodge" it on, to no avail. The back part where the canopy sits on will just not go flush with the rest of the cockpit. I would love to know what Dragon was thinking when they designed this one... So I am thinking of just scrapping this and using the Academy one and taking the "pilot" out of this one and use the decals.

Kind Regards,

Dazz