Ignis in black

Ignis5.jpg

I finished this 1/7 scale 25 cm high resin kit of Ignis yesterday. There were many parts to clean up and a bit of work to get some of them to fit as intended, but I'm very happy with the end result. She is usually seen wearing this outfit in white, but I wanted to try and give her a bit more serious look. She is the first figure I build in this size that I had to paint the eyes on, something I have feared a bit, but I think I came through and made her justice. Hope you like her.

Ignis1.jpg

Ignis2.jpg

Ignis3.jpg

Ignis4.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for all the praise. I was so happy how she turned out when finished, I didn't really dared to hope for that result.

Not really my bag but undeniable skill there and a great rendition. Is it wrong of me to find her...alluring?

Oh no, on the contrary, actually... I would find it more strange if you were not... :wicked:

Edited by Jörgen Stendahl

• 2 weeks later...

This kit is from E2046 who do a lot of recasts of older (oop) Japanese masters (all I have received have been very high quality castings) and they also have an increasing line of their own mastered figures, in a wide variety of styles.

The large lower part of the skirt is cast in several clear (or rather quite milky than fully clear) resin parts. The painting was "just" done by airbrushing Tamiya smoke in varying coverage by free hand. More coverage the higher up I got, and even more into all the wrinkles. The finish is a coat of satin clear on the outside and glossy
clear on the inside, thinking of what really is outside and inside of the skirt, to add contrast.

Very nicely done indeed! I have a couple of similar-sized figure kits to do, and I'm terrified about trying to paint the eyes. Any tips you can share on that?

Well, to this date I have only painted eyes like this on two figures (finished another just the other day) albeit with a descent result, so I'm a bit unsure if I'm really in a position to advise on eye painting :unsure:, but here goes...

I prime the head in a white primer, then I mask the eye balls with Tamiya tape and spray the skin tones. After removing the mask I cut two circular pieces of masking tape in the size I want the iris to be. I play around with them a little to try out a placement of the iris I'm happy with. Try to think how much of the iris would really be seen for real in the pose and look the figure has. I also had a bit of practise by drawing a larger eye in similar shape on paper and painted that first, to get an idea of colours and work method.

Then I take a sharp pen and draw a faint line on the eye ball along the iris tape and then remove the tape. Now I can sketch an inner line for the pupil size. Then I use an enamel (I want a bit longer drying time) in the base colour I want the iris (greenish for Ignis here) and carefully paint it. Directly after that I take another colour (yellow in this case) and paint some thin strikes round the iris, like from the centre and out, that will allow smear and blend a bit with the green. You may then want a very thin blackish line around the periphery of the iris.

Then it's black for the pupil and a white dot for some light reflection, usually placed between 10 and 2 o'clock, but consider how you want light and reflection to hit the eye. I have also done a few faint white strikes in the iris at the same angle as the white dot.

I have given my girls a black liner around the eye, how prominent that should be depends of course. The last thing I do is to give the whole eye ball a good coat of gloss varnish to give the eye a wet look.

A lot of text for that, but it was not as difficult as I had feared. Go on and try. The worst that can happen is to strip some paint and start again. :)