rf-101c in painted silver/ gray?

Killingholme

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@Tailspin Turtle would be a good one to ask. That photo of the Air-show is on his Blog. While searching for that one a year or two ago. I found this one as well.

Z7WzT6t.jpg

A 33rd tactical Group RF-101A S/N.# - 54-1512. at Udorn Thailand. 

Huh? That reference doesn’t ring a bell. What was the post?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello @Tailspin Turtle i thought this photo came from your blog. 

NocOop0.png

its full screen version is this ? 

hUauCzX.png

The other photo in your response i think was from a seperate source i sadly no longer remember ? I use screen capture to keep images for personal research thus the full screen shot. I only use them for personal research normally. However in cases where i repost i always try to credit the original owner. If it isnt yours i apologize for listing you.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I think the the RF-101As that appeared in SEA might have been associated with the ROCAF program. I have a Taiwanese book on the ROCF recon program and I think that one of their tail numbers showed up again in camo in Viet Nam. The 15th TRS started with all RF-101Cs and I believe that the 45th was the same. 

Grant

Document TAC-TR-63-8 describes the evaluation of two RF-101As in 1963/4, one of which fits 54-1514 perfectly. It was a mix of greens, black and red brown. The second machine was described as overall greenish black and so fits the image of the "black" machine shown in Alaska. '514 was written off in a crash near Franklin, North Carolina on 16th March 1966 so its life in this scheme was short.

There is also an image in circulation of an A-model RF in camo with toned down (outline only) small national insignia. These schemes were NOT those shown of the various RF-101As shown at Udorn RTAFB, such as 54-1512 shown above. The contention that these Udorn machines were connected to ROCAF ops may hold water as I've (can't remember where) that the RF-101A never operated in the Vietnam War theatre and in that case they clearly had another role.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

On 17 February 2013 at 9:52 PM, Panoz said:

Ditto on the accuracy of info supplied in DS books (F4U-7 fuselage length anyone???) 

Agreed. Also some of Robert Dorr's books show some erroneous data. In the end its about using these references together and drawing considered opinion. We have no time machine to cross check some of this stuff so have to make best guesses through comparison and experience.

Martin

On 2/22/2019 at 7:43 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Tailspin Turtle i thought this photo came from your blog. 

its full screen version is this ? 

The other photo in your response i think was from a seperate source i sadly no longer remember ? I use screen capture to keep images for personal research thus the full screen shot. I only use them for personal research normally. However in cases where i repost i always try to credit the original owner. If it isnt yours i apologize for listing you.

Dennis

I’m pretty sure I would have remembered posting that one. No foul though.

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
  • Like 1