Me163 Komet

This was a desperate attempt to climb up to bomber formations in a hurry - sit in a tiny plane with wooden wings, strapped in between fuel tanks full of stuff which would dissolve you, and trundle off down the grass runway on a tiny dolly which dropped off when you were airborne:

kometold1.jpg

Then you climb like a homesick angel, flash past the bombers at a hell of a lick, fire a few rounds from the unreliable cannon, and then glide back to earth to land on a single skid and a tailwheel, trying to keep the wingtips off the ground until the very last moment. You can't even taxy in, you have to climb out and abandon the plane on the runway. It all seems very undignified:

kometolda.jpg

This is my take on the Revell 1/48 Me163. The markings are spurious as I wanted to try a very light mottling scheme that I'd seen on a real example, and it didn't fit the markings in the kit. The paints are Tamiya acrylics, airbrushed freehand except for the masking on the straight edges of the wing roots. I bought it second hand, and there was a resin cockpit set in there too, which although VERY detailed and beautifully done, is pretty much invisible once installed. As usual.

Here it is, hope you like it:

komet13.jpg

komet14.jpg

komet17.jpg

komet19.jpg

komet18.jpg

komet20.jpg

And here it is in its natural environment, ready to go:

komet6.jpg

komet8.jpg

komet1.jpg

komet4.jpg

komet3.jpg

komet7.jpg

komet2.jpg

komet9.jpg

And on its skid after landing:

komet11.jpg

komet10.jpg

With my usual sense of timing, I finished this model the night before the Battle for the Reich GB was due to start...oh well, never mind.

Cheers,

Dean

• Like 2

Well done!

Thanks for the comments, folks...been working away since i posted it, so haven't been able to respond before now.

That prop really would have to work hard, wouldn't it, Chris? :wicked:

Cheers,

Dean

Nice job, Dean. I love the backdrop of the countryside. Where were those shots taken? I have the 1:72 Academy kit in my stash and it's on the schedule for 2013. Boy, is it tiny though!

Cheers,

Bill

Nice Komet.

The late war German developments were definitely bonkers flying death-traps! Worryingly of them all the Me163 was perhaps the least bonkers death trap!

The He 162 was totally mad - ejector seat with a jet intake just behind the pilots seat.... what happens next? Yeap puree of luftwaffe "pilot" (they were designed to be flown by people with almost no flight training - just to spice things up a bit!)

Bachem Natter was also wacko!

Edited by Flying Badger

Nice Komet.

The late war German developments were definitely bonkers flying death-traps! Worryingly of them all the Me163 was perhaps the least bonkers death trap!

The He 162 was totally mad - ejector seat with a jet intake just behind the pilots seat.... what happens next? Yeap puree of luftwaffe "pilot" (they were designed to be flown by people with almost no flight training - just to spice things up a bit!)

Bachem Natter was also wacko!

Did they also pioneer the helicopter ejector seat???? :banghead::chair:

Thanks for the extra comments, folks!

Bill, the backdrop photo was taken near a village called Badby near Daventry in Northamptonshire in the UK. Nice part of the world, and the model photos were taken on my kitchen table!

Sernak, I think I've read somewhere that the Revell kit is a repop of the Dragon one. Nice little kit actually...

Cheers,

Dean