1/32nd McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom II

With the retirement of Luftwaffe Phantoms from active service this year, I thought I would have a go at tackling my first 1/32 kit (this being Revell's example of the Phantom) and it's going to be huge in comparison to anything I have built before, the cockpit tub alone is almost as long as my 1/72  Sukhoi Su-25. 

This kit is going to be finished as a Norm 72 camo air-frame  from the days of Dissimilar Air Combat Training, so the rudder will be red, as well as the ends of the tail planes. Apart from some decals for a Norm 72 scheme, this will be a straight OOB build, apart from a few scratch-built details and a few Tamiya tape belts of the ejector seats. So far I have completed the ejector seats, with Tamiya belts and also the cockpit tub, all sprayed up and detailed. Also gave the seats a splash of Flory Model's Weathering wash, just to wear them down a bit.

Cockpit tub

8384994498_e6f45f07fb_c.jpg

Ejector Seats

8384993952_56a6450f7d_c.jpg

Being my first WIP in progress on Britmodeller will be interesting to here your suggestions along the way  :)

Edited by NickThompson
  • Like 1

Nice start on the cockpit, Nick... these big Revell 1/32 jets don't need anything extra to make them impressive, as I found when I did the F-14 completely OOB a couple of years ago.

I've got a couple of these in the stash, and was intending to do one of them as an F-4E in SEA camouflage, but I've got to get my hands on a set of slotted tailplanes before I can do that. The other I was going to do as a Luftwaffe kite with Norm 72 camo just like yours when I can get hold of some suitable decals- looks like you're going to beat me to it!

I'll be following this one - good luck.

Dean

I think the Luftwaffe are painting 4 F4s in various retro colour schemes to mark the retirement,  Its mentioned in Combat Aircraft monthly, and I think the first one is in Norm 72 (but doesnt have a red tail) and i think the others are going to be Norm 81,83 and 90.  This is from memory as I dont have the mag to hand.

I thought it would be quite cool to do one in these commemorative retro schemes.

• 2 weeks later...
With exams out of the way have been able to press forward with the Phantom, I have fitted the cockpit tub within the front fuselage halves and fitted the under side which also holds the front wheel well. Using a mixture of super glue and filler have filled in the gap between the two sections. Finally, I have painted the the HUD area gloss black.

Hopefully will get the internal parts of the engines made and painted up in metallic paints.

MPaul, as my Dad saw a Luftawffe DACT Phantom, he is pushing me in that direction and so I will stick with the Norm 72 with red tail rudder :)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Finally pushed on with this one, getting the model pretty much up to a stage ready for painting, I only have the outer wing sections to add and a few larger external detail parts. So since last update I have, made up the turbines for the inside of the model, sprayed metallic and just dirtied up a bit, to be honest they wont really be seen. With the turbines completed, I have joined the two fuselage halves then added the tail planes and the front section, which has also gained the nose cone.

The paint scheme is being changed from a Norm 72 airframe to a Norm 81 aircraft, after my Dad checked his shots from the 80's. The airframe will still be a Dissimalar Air Combat Training aircraft with high visibility rudder, tail planes, wing tips and front nose gear, much like this shot.

Only problem now is sourcing 1/32nd decals for Norm 81 camo.

Anyway on with the pictures;

Turbines

8459125778_99d0eb48cd_c.jpg

Front fuselage and nose

8458022833_c0d6a91339_c.jpg

Front fuselage seam with main fuselage (at far right of photo), and cockpit

8458020561_9fcf6d7dbc_c.jpg

And two pictures showing the progress so far

8459124868_0e2bde6f8d_c.jpg

The two rear wheel bays have been sprayed white and detailed, but are covered ready for the main painting of the model

8459124514_43ba9a52be_c.jpg

For now have got the sub assemblies to start such as the armaments, air intakes and landing gears

Looks good so far mate, I've just finished this one before Christmas and I was intending to do the 72 camo but the decals that I got off ebay got lost in the post, so ended up doing the ICE grey jet. Today at the yeovilton show I picked up the AIRDOC Luftwaffen phantoms for £2.50 and there's a fair old few photo's in there. I'll take a photo of the model to keep you going. The only thing I'd watch is the nose/fuselage join, if you line up the upper surfaces you will end up with a step underneath so try to thing how you can encourage them too meet without having to do lots of sanding afterwards.

Steve.