Blade Runner Deckard Sedan

Following on from my build of Police Car 27....

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234924843

Here is the Fujimi Deckard Sedan upgraded with the ParaGrafix etched set...

First the upgrade set....

P1030096.jpg

Despite having different labels, both sets are identical and provide parts for both the standard cars as seen driving around and the hero interior depicted when Deckard is behind the wheel. The attention to detail is what you'd expect from Paul and I can't wait to light one up.
First plan is to upgrade my existing Sedan interior to model Deckard sitting in the car making the call to Pris.
I'm going to use the second set to build a Police version with an open door.....
I also have some plans for a Police Bike to match....

Obviously the arrival of the etch and the accompanying photo reference means that the build will be slightly more involved than the Police version I built last year.

One issue I did come across was that I'd already assembled the dashboard on the Sedan before I obtained the etch. This would entail a much harder job cutting away two layers of styrene to make way for the lights. Luckily I have a spare Sedan kit which I'm intending building as the green version seen in the street scenes so I simply swapped out the parts so I could start afresh....

Here's the basic dashboard components....

P1030112.jpg

First job was to remove the prominent lip moulded onto the top edge....

P1030114.jpg

This joint should be seamless when the screens are in place so a little filler and sanding will be needed here.
Next I cut the two etched screen parts from the fret and test fitted them to determine where to remove the plastic....note the area of the main dash piece that also needs surgery....These parts were then

chaindrilled and the excess plastic removed...

P1030117.jpg

On chopping out the dashboard I discovered that the assembly socket that mates with the interior tub was visible and might interfere with the lighting so I removed it using side cutters and a sharp blade...

P1030119.jpg

P1030120.jpg

P1030124.jpg

I then very carefully removed the excess plastic from the screens...you need to be super-careful here as the process doesn't leave a lot of material along the bottom edge of the main screen...I used a blade that was sharp but not too sharp to avoid removing too much material. Once the screens are fixed to the dash however there is scope to reinforce this area with sheet styrene....

P1030122.jpg

Next it was onto the main interior tub which had already recieved a coat of paint at the rear end....the dark matt brown in the seating area is just a base coat for the eventual beige colour.

First I test fitted the brass for the centre console to determine where the lights will be going....It's worth mentioning here that I'm building the 'hero' version which is the one Deckard sits in outside the Bradbury. I should have enough spare etch and screens left to use on my Green 'street car'....

P1030125.jpg

More chaindrilling and cutting resulted in two neat openings.....

P1030126.jpg

P1030128.jpg

Another job is to level the door panels prior to testfitting the door controls....the white area is where the plastic has been scraped flat, level with its surroundings

P1030129.jpg

When assembled to the dash, the monitors have a large gap underneath...not an issue in the basic kit but obviously a problem if you intend to light it...so a piece of scrap styrene was cut and fixed in place...note the notch to allow for the steering mount...

P1030133.jpg

P1030135.jpg

Also some holes need cutting into the door linings to allow light through to the etch....

P1030152.jpg

P1030153.jpg

As with any lighting job it's important to plan ahead as to where the lights are fitted and to ensure that the kit will still fit together after modification. I lined the centre console with aluminium tape to prevent light leaks and also to bounce the light around inside so that it projects through the etch. A simple bulkhead was installed at the rear of the console and a hole drilled to take a 3mm white LED....

P1030142.jpg

A similar hole was drilled in the front end and a piece of styrene fabricated to seal the bottom of the transmission tunnel....

P1030144.jpg

P1030145.jpg

The LED's were then glued in place....by having them light the box horizontally from either end this provides a more even light avoiding 'hot spots' through any particular area of etch....

P1030146.jpg

P1030148.jpg

P1030149.jpg

Back onto the etch and the instructions say to remove the end panel of the raised portion of the centre console and replace with styrene to allow you to insert a light within....the hatched portion was simply bent back and forth till it snapped off....

P1030136.jpg

The part is then folded and attached to the main panel....before being clad in some truly tiny pieces...

P1030138.jpg

P1030139.jpg

It's a similar story with the parts for the door panels....

P1030151.jpg

First thing here was a styrene replacement for the brass piece I removed from the centre console to accomodate an LED inside. The styrene piece was made overheight so it meets the underside of the dash. The LED within was carefully sanded to allow it to slide into the narrow aperture...as long as you take care not to expose the 'element' then it will still work fine....

P1030155.jpg

P1030156.jpg

I also took the opportunity to add some styrene rod to the etch to give it some extra dimension....

P1030158.jpg

Based on the reference pic kindly supplied earlier, I scratched some additional instruments for the passenger side using Evergreen strip and a length of guitar string....I'm intending to add a few more bits here and have some random fibre optic lights....

P1030159.jpg

P1030160.jpg

Here's a quick test fit with the dashboard in place.....

P1030161.jpg

The upgrade set provides cutting guides to open up the two missing windows in the rear bulkhead...

P1030163.jpg

It's a fiddly job and you need to take care not to put too much pressure on the rather delicate framework but it's well worth the effort....

P1030165.jpg

In every Sedan/Police Car 27 kit Fujimi kindly supply the etched fret that comes with the Spinner kit bearing the Spinner logos...presumably because Deckard's car is supposed to be a grounded earlier version of the Police fliers.

P1030167.jpg

There's no evidence of this logo being used on the actual Sedan in the movie but I thought it might be fun to use it somewhere that might still remain in the grounded version. So I cut some ribbed Evergreen sheet to fit the footwells....(sorry about the dark pic)....

P1030168.jpg

I then applied the logos....

P1030169.jpg

After some painting and scraping back the face of the logos I had some neat looking mats...just the thing to keep that acid rain from ruining your carpets....note the wear on the drivers side...

P1030177.jpg

Meanwhile the interior etched pieces were first primed then painted matt black before being drybrushed with various shades of grey...

P1030170.jpg

The dashboard is a mixture of black and desert yellow....

P1030173.jpg

It's just about ready for the detail painting...note the LED's for the monitors...I'll use some diffuser material to even out the light from these behind the screens....

P1030171.jpg

Here's the centre console prior to detail painting....note I've filled the open holes that let the light through using Microscale Kristal Klear (PVA or white glue works too) which dries transparent...these will then be tinted using Tamiya clear colours...

P1030179.jpg

Here's a first look at the lights...still got some leaks on the edges of the panels but easily fixed....

P1030180.jpg

Note that none of the individual holes have been colour tinted yet...

P1030183.jpg

Console rear....

P1030182.jpg

Here's the dashboard unlit....for the main screen I've gone with the Spinner lifting off after Deckard has explained who he is to the cops, the smaller screen has Pris answering Sebastian's phone....

P1030185.jpg

And lit...this pic doesn't really do it justice....to the naked eye it looks fabulous, once more big thanks to Paul for such a fantastic product....

P1030187.jpg

I added some fibre optics to the passenger side dash....

P1030190.jpg

I got the fibres from a cheap Halloween toy and simply drilled out the dash using a 0.5mm drill and fed them through...what I didn't realise was that the CA glue I used to secure them reacted with them and actually melted the fibres!...nothing for it but to remove the damage, redrill them and then secure this time using 5-minute epoxy....

P1030191.jpg

I fed them using a 3mm blue LED and the result was worth the hassle....

P1030194.jpg

Now for the really hard part...scratchbuilding a realistic Deckard figure....I have one of the ODG figure sets for the Spinner which look ok in that context however the Deckard doesn't fit the Sedan and he's in the wrong pose...I'll see what I can come up with.... :(

So, after a trawl through my spares boxes I came across the remains of what I think was the navigator from a Tamiya rally car...I was also lucky to find a 1/24 head, just about the only one I have that isn't wearing a crash helmet.

P1030197.jpg

I've done some surgery on the legs as the Sedan seats are really low to the floor. I also carved away the racing harness on the torso. The challenge now is to create the shirt, tie, jacket and trenchcoat....hmmmmm

P1030198.jpg

P1030199.jpg

P1030200.jpg

I started out by adding a shirt collar and tie from thin styrene sheet applied with copious amounts of Plastic Weld cement to soften it and make it conform....

P1030202.jpg

It's surprising how much better the figure looks just by those simple additions...

P1030203.jpg

I then added some lapels and another collar to represent his suit jacket...I also added cuffs to the bottom of the trousers to disguise the rally driver origins...

P1030204.jpg

The buttons were made from some of the etched ignition keys that come with the upgrade set....

P1030208.jpg

A little progress on Deckard....my figure sculpting skills are not the best but I've roughed out the trenchcoat...just need to leave it to set before fine tuning the edges and adding some more detail. Given that the eye will be drawn more to the lights than to the figure, I'll be happy if he just bears a resemblence...

P1030211.jpg

P1030212.jpg

P1030210.jpg

Awesome! This is the one Bladerunner kit I bought, now I can see how it's supposed to be done. The dash looks phenomenal.

I was musing as to whether it was possible to do a "wet look" for rain falling on the glass, or whether it'd be just cheesy?

Probably warrants a test - I've used gloss medium and gloss gel for water ripples, but they'd need to be really subtle here. Would look awesome with lights, a bit of smoke to thicken the air, and some rain added in post :D

Will

Well I've finished my Deckard figure off, I'm reasonably pleased with him considering figure sculpting is not my forte. The camera flash makes him appear shiny when in fact he is dead matt, here he is test fitted in the driving seat....

P1030216.jpg

I gave him a sort of laptop made from a piece of styrene topped with an offcut of one of the spare slides from the upgrade set....

P1030217-1.jpg

Close up he doesn't bear much resemblance to Harrison Ford, in fact in a strange way he looks more like Mark Hamill....anyway, once the body is on and the interior lit I think he'll look ok....

P1030218.jpg

A little more progress....

As well as giving you templates to cut out the missing windows in the rear bulkhead, the etched set also provides templates for cutting the 'glass' out of transparent sheet....

P1030224.jpg

These were duly installed in the bulkhead along with the kit transparency and the whole assembly cemented in place....

P1030226.jpg

I also painted in the lights using Tamiya Clear colours...some of these require a second coat whilst others have been blacked out using dark grey paint...

P1030228.jpg

P1030229.jpg

Overall the effect is starting to look more convincing...now to tackle the rest of the kit...

• Like 1

More progress....

I finally attached the dashboard to the interior tub and did the final wiring to leave just a single set of feeds. These are way overlength and feed out through the bottom of the chassis behind the rear wheel...they'll then feed through the base and on to the power supply. The whole interior assembly was then glued to the chassis.

I then added the various engine parts which had been pre-painted. These were then connected up using a mixture of the kit-supplied vinyl tubing, some slightly thicker black wire and some wire-wound guitar string to simulate the cables seen in the pics of the real vehicle.

P1030241_zps40e9f423.jpg

P1030242_zps6113d692.jpg

P1030243_zpsc22599fe.jpg

I'm going to add more weathering to the engine area using some washes and powdered pigments.

Here's a couple of views of the lights on the completed interior....I chose to mount the steering wheel with the spokes horizontal which is at odds with the instructions and also the real car but it means the screen displaying the spinner taking off is not obscured....

P1030244_zpsb1fd687d.jpg

P1030246_zps22e3f270.jpg

Finally, a slightly blurry shot of the interior in darkness showing just how bright those lights are.....

P1030249_zpsda0b7c1c.jpg

More soon....

Getting close to finishing...still can't decide on lighting the rear lights...very little room even for SMD's and not much opportunity to hide the feeds....

Anyway, here's the rear license plate installed...

P1030261_zpsf51c4a05.jpg

The only other decal to apply was the red/white circle on the roof....the decals are by Cartograf and respond well to Microsol. Still some touching in to do on the window rubbers....

P1030263_zps01146863.jpg

Rear view....note the two pipes going into the 'intake' on the roof, these are closer to the real car and not how they are shown in the kit instructions. A light spirit wash was applied made up of used thinners and MIG 'Starship Filth' oil colour. The overall colour of the Sedan appears much redder in these pics than to the eye....I'll get some done in daylight once it's finished (and it's stopped raining!)

P1030264_zps2ff46f0c.jpg

Nearly there.....