Revell 1:144 27 Sqn Tornado GR1

Well for those guys who have followed my first ever WIP thread,

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234932336&page=3

and for those that havent, here is my first model Ready For Inspection, and also marks my 100th post on the forum!

It has been a learning curve, as this marks a return to modelling, and a first serious (ish) step into the hobby, since the days when I made and painted in a day at the age of 8 or 9.

There have been pitfalls such as decal silvering - something that I could just not resolve, so the decal was removed as best as I could, and the area repainted (this will be evident in one of the photos below, possibly more of them to those with good eyes!), and also with mixing the greys, as I was using the gift set, and its come out bluer rather than grey!

Its also pretty much a tail sitter - something I had been worried about once I had already assembled the fuselage lol.  Some white tac, filled into the nose u/c bay, has helped, though i would only require the Fin F light to illuminate for it to sit on its bottom!

So, comments are of course welcome, and without further ado, here are my finished pictures:

20130117_101819.jpg

20130117_101842.jpg

20130117_101804.jpg

20130117_101541.jpg

20130117_101452.jpg

20130117_101510.jpg

20130117_101744.jpg

20130117_101724.jpg

Edited by MPaul
  • Like 2

A very nice piece of work. I'm currently making two Dragon 1/144 scale F-3's, taking a while as the cockpits have to be rebuilt as the standard ones aren't up to much.

Very nicely done there mate :)  I see you done all of the stencils as well, you must be a glutton for punishment :P  I dont see any of the red "X"'s that is in the kit, did you do them or give up?  (Could be the camera tbh).

Nicely done tho, and very good for your first WiP :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Very nicely done there mate :)  I see you done all of the stencils as well, you must be a glutton for punishment :P  I dont see any of the red "X"'s that is in the kit, did you do them or give up?  (Could be the camera tbh).

Nicely done tho, and very good for your first WiP :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Hey mate

Thanks.  Yeah there are a lot of No step decals - 30 I think.

Do you mean the red 'X's on those?  If so, they are on there, but its a mobile phone camera so it probably doesnt show them well.

There were no other 'X's in the kit.

I just looked at my decal sheet and there's about 30 or so red X's on it... Strangely enough numbered 30 on the sheet... Spooky. I think we are talking about the same ones tho. You are a brave man for doing them all!!

Still she's a beauty, looking forward to building mine 3 now after watching your build :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

I just looked at my decal sheet and there's about 30 or so red X's on it... Strangely enough numbered 30 on the sheet... Spooky. I think we are talking about the same ones tho. You are a brave man for doing them all!!

Still she's a beauty, looking forward to building mine 3 now after watching your build :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Hi Dazz

Yeah its the same ones.  If you look closer, they have the white boot print under each red X.

Hi Dazz

Yeah its the same ones. If you look closer, they have the white boot print under each red X.

Well my eyes must be more screwed up than I first thought!! Must be all the 1/144 models I do :P never noticed them at all. Hhmm need to look up if the Operation Granby (Spelling??) Tornados had them on or not.

Kind Regards

Dazz

I guess that's to do with the fact that you'd see them everyday and take no notice of them! I'm like that where I work, only with customers... and staff... and managers... and family... Basically people :P

However if those x's get over painted, worn off etc etc, then that leaves some options for weathering... Hhmm...

Kind Regards

Dazz