Mig-21 PF Fishbed 1/48

nirvanagr

photos of black/ gray PF cockpit and drawings explaining differences between types  All are copyrighted and are for the OP's information only and not for reproduction. They will be deleted as soon as OP has seen them.

Also notice the pitot tube on the pf has no vanes.

8390047539_e167f7d131_o.jpg
Untitled by omgpainful, on Flickr
Edited by noeyedears

I have the pavla set too, bought it before I got the FM set. It's ok but the detail on the seat was very soft, belts were hardly visible. I thought about getting a Neomega seat to replace it but their website didnt list one. They've just released a pit for the F-13 so maybe the seat will come out on its own too...

Oh, that's a bugger!  We do have one, but I forgot to put it on the new site - what a cretin!! :banghead:

Gordon

This is an extract from Mirage III vs MiG-21: Six Day War 1967 from Osprey Publishing p. 28 :

And there : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-21_variants

And a real one :

mig21fl2.jpg

Nicolas

photos of black/ gray PF cockpit and drawings explaining differences between types  All are copyrighted and are for the OP's information only and not for reproduction. They will be deleted as soon as OP has seen them.

Also notice the pitot tube on the pf has no vanes.

8390047539_e167f7d131_o.jpg
Untitled by omgpainful, on Flickr

According to this:

Egypt received the first of its 45 to 50 MIG-21FL in 1965 [...]. The designation FL was used both by an export version of the MIG-21PFM and a variant manufactured in India.

What i understand is that the PF is the same designation as the FL and PFM, for the Egyptian Air Force. So, should i buy a PF kit, build it as it is and at the end i'll call it MIG-21FL (EAF). The problem here is the parachute fairing at the tail fin. I need to build an EAF plane with no parachute housing because it is not included in the Academy kit. Also, the canopy on the PFM was hinged to open in the right, instead of the PF version that it's canopy is a main part. 

Is that true or do i have messed it up once again in my mind?  :badmood:  :jealous:

I've noticed that the PFM has wider tail fin than the PF.

Thank you very much for your precious help, guys!

Edited by nirvanagr

I dont know what boxing of the kit you have but i have the academy mig 21 pf fishbed D kit open in front of me as i type, the one with the wrongly comouflaged plane with rocketpods and centreline tank flying past the Kremlin on the front box code FA148 2166  . it HAS two fins; one pf early type fin and one pfm /fl fin with the chute fairing........it even has the paint/decal scheme for an Egyptian air force plane (it says its a PF but as stated before the codes used on foreign built / export versions varied as did the level of equipment included)..........just buy a decent bang seat, SK type neomega do a good one, (and any other resin / etch you fancy that is appropriate) and you are golden :-)  Or wait for Eduard to release a pf version.

Edited by noeyedears

I don't have any yet but i'm planning to purchase this:

http://pla.gr/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=593

The same kit with yours.

If this kit has the tail fin with the parachute housing, then it's ok. What about the seat's quality? Do i need to buy an aftermarket product?

Thank you for your help!

like i said..............

.......just buy a decent bang seat, SK type neomega do a good one, pavla do a not so nice one but its ok, (and any other resin / etch you fancy that is appropriate) and you are golden :-)  Or wait for Eduard to release a pf version.

i am lucky enough to have an old   photoetch set especially for a mig pf. it is eduard 48237 and consists of 2 frets covering the cockpit and lots of externals. it is out of production i think. it is still on the eduard web site but shows out of stock..... i cant find one anywhere but if you can its worth it. 

Hi all, great thread - don't wish to hijack it but I picked up a 1/48 Italeri MIG-21MF in the MZ sale, I know nothing about MIGS but it looks a decent enough kit to me.

My query is on colour schemes, the kit instructions say all-over lt grey for the Soviet version (circa 1971), I always assumed they were nat metal, can I do this in nat metal scheme or is that just not correct?

cheers

Simon

Hmmm, i have never seen an all gray russian 21, that doesnt mean there werent any though. russisns seemed to like the nmf aluminium planes (withh titanium around the exhaust.) being so late the cockpit would "probably"have been the green one.

Hmmm, i have never seen an all gray russian 21, that doesnt mean there werent any though. russisns seemed to like the nmf aluminium planes (withh titanium around the exhaust.) being so late the cockpit would "probably"have been the green one.

Great NMF it is then! Thanks for that, my initial guess was Italeri have messed up on the kits colour plans but not knowing too much about Soviet aircraft I want sure, i'll have another look at the kit later, it was quite late last night when I was looking at it an may have been distracted by MOTD!

cheers

Simon

• 4 years later...
On 15-10-2017 at 6:22 PM, nirvanagr said:

I have the 1/48 pavla cockpit but it lacks the instructions. Does anyone have them?

Always glad to help out a fellow Fishbed lover. Here you go:

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/MiG-21PF-ACA-1735069.html

(For reference only - I don't have good experiences actually ordering from that outfit...). 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 1