Alternatively, cut about a mm or two OUTSIDE where you need the line and sand back to it, checking the fit every few minutes. Sometimes Paragon's 'cut here' lines were a bit out.

That's a lovely kit to work with. Built quite a few over the years and there's a lot of them in the stash for when I go back to doing Mosquitos.

• Like 1

Alternatively, cut about a mm or two OUTSIDE where you need the line and sand back to it, checking the fit every few minutes. Sometimes Paragon's 'cut here' lines were a bit out.

That's a lovely kit to work with. Built quite a few over the years and there's a lot of them in the stash for when I go back to doing Mosquitos.

Definitely the way forward for me, that. My cutting isn't the greatest as it is! The new nacelles have got the end of the u/c bay moulded in to them, which is helpful.

The first cut is the deepest, according to Cat Stevens. I'm assuming he bought some Paragon parts as well.

This is the first time I've ever intentionally made a model to look different to the way it appears in the instructions. Be gentle with me. I did the wings first tonight, as doing the nacelles will be a much more involved job.

First I removed the rear part of the nacelles from the top surface of the wings, then sanded down and re-scribed the flaps into single-piece versions. I know you can still see an outline, but there's no indentation left. After spray filling and primer I think I've done enough. Here's the original:

CIMG9622_zps5337a7af.jpg

My handiwork!

CIMG9626_zps2b3e89f3.jpg

And then I removed the strengthener from the starboard fuselage. Before:

CIMG9620_zps4582bc2b.jpg

After:

CIMG9621_zpsf886bcbd.jpg

Tomorrow I'll assemble the nacelles, cut the back off and then sand them down and the new, shorter rear 'wedges' to fit as measured on the wing.

Once that's done I guess it will be time to do the interior. Here's the 1:1 aircraft during stripdown for restoration...

056DH98MosquitoW4050cockpit_zps4d79aa91.

055DH98MosquitoW4050cockpit_zpsa4d7fca6.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mish, I'd rather lost the will to live after stuffing up a kit as basic as the Airfix Mossie, so having to graft a bit to get a result out of these tiddlers was a tonic. From the rear they have a very suitable look for this GB!

Now it's time to butcher some nacelles...

Chop, chop, rub, rub... panic a bit... it's all go now!

Once the primer's on the wings the single-piece flaps should come up a treat:

CIMG9822_zpscbb96196.jpg

Meanwhile the Paragon shortened nacelles take a bit of fettling to seat properly in the wing. On the left is a raw piece, on the right is one shaved and sanded to fit the curve of the upper surface:

CIMG9821_zps76fb588b.jpg

When put in place it's nice and flush. A bit of filler needed to get rid of the gap is all that's needed:

CIMG9824_zps44bc8875.jpg

Meanwhile the kit nacelles have been cut and sanded to sit as tight as I can make them. Again, a smear of filler and a lick of primer should conceal all this knifemanship to make a nice, smooth transition.

CIMG9823_zps2e5a8097.jpg

Very nervous about mucking these bits up but I think that's helped focus my attention pretty well so far. Touch wood!

Paragon parts all now fitted! My first ever resin conversion and I can't speak highly enough of the quality of the parts... but that's probably not news to most on here...

Fuselage halves and wings ready for the peg-a-thon...

CIMG9825_zps5e2090f6.jpg

Peggy the Mosquito...

CIMG9826_zps4e2321b4.jpg

Exhausts filled in, stumpy wingtips and new tail surfaces fitted...

CIMG9827_zps2f5acfdb.jpg

Almost ready for paint... just the doors and greenhouse. I'll give it another wash and then the primer should even out the worst scratches...

CIMG9829_zps6cd13b23.jpg

Thanks Peter. As far as I can tell, the shorter wingtips, short nacelles and smaller tail surfaces were all only fitted on EO234/W4050 the first prototype - together with the leading edge flaps. They're next on my 'to do' list!

The flaps and the short nacelles are still on the airframe, they were discovered during the restoration.

Yes, that's where my evidence points: 'squared off' wings and leading edge slats were prototype only, the smaller tailplanes and short nacelles lasted a bit longer. Production was under way while they were still working on a buffeting problem, so the form of the nacelles and tailplanes took time to emerge as a result of this work.

It's all getting a bit serious now... first coats of primer and Broom Yellow applied when things warmed up and dried out a bit yesterday...

CIMG0055_zps3a458cf0.jpg

• Like 1