617 Sqn Build begins

MarkVX

Right I've now managed to get the kits together i need to complete my 617 Sqn build. In the post are 5 Sets of 617 Sqn decals from Hannants aswell.

Just waiting on a 1/72 Mosquito to arrive and thats the lot.

For those that havent seen it here is the inspiration and story behind the build http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234931403&hl=

And here are the kits that are with me now

IMG_7965_zpsc2b79c0f.jpg

going to make a start on the Mustang later today so will probably update either tonight or tomorrow. Hoping to get these completed for Telford if i can but who knows

• Like 2

I'm settling down and really looking forward to this Mark. 

I see you have a Mustang flown by Leonard Cheshire, but what about his Mossie? (As if you hadn't got enough to do)!

Cheers

I'm settling down and really looking forward to this Mark.

I see you have a Mustang flown by Leonard Cheshire, but what about his Mossie? (As if you hadn't got enough to do)!

Cheers

Mossie is in the post and just waiting for it to turn up. One more model won't hurt

Have you sourced your 617 decals from Hannants yet?

If not then I'd suggest you get your foot on the gas because I believe the MOD have just

trademarked anything to do with "The Dambusters" or "617 Squadron".

yes ordered them yesterday and they have been dispatched

Not much of a update but i've got the Mustang cockpit together.

Havent added any extra detail as alot of it will be hidden once its closed up

55B46802-2104-478B-967D-BAC95B80860E-189

4BC981B0-DB23-471C-8355-7A6BDC8327E2-189

going to try and make a start on the fuselage in abit and update tomorrow

Hi, MarkXV!

I've never tried the Revell 1/72 Mustang III but I'm building an ICM 1/48 version, and will put 617's markings on it.  Apparently 617 received two Mk III's (from RAF stocks, not directly from a friendly USAFE squadron as indicated in some accounts, with RAF serials HB825 and HB837).  I believe one had an individual letter 'N' which I think is Cheshire's.  I have a photo taken of Cheshire's Mustang returning from a raid, which I believe was Cheshire's last.  It has D-day markings but no 'N' and I can't see the serial no.

I'm going to modify two 1000 lb bombs from the ICM Spitfire kits to represent the markers carried by these aircraft.  I have a photo of a cutaway marker in the RAF museum.

I'm watching your build with interest - good luck!  

Edited by Jonny

I was wondering what the mustang had to do with a bomber squadron, then I read about Willie Tait's exploits marking targets with a mustang in 'Target Tirpitz'..

I think Cheshire pioneered the technique after first using a Lancaster as a marker aircraft, the the Mosquito, then the Mustang.     I read somewhere that when the Lancaster bomb aimers couldn't identify a target he flew over it repeatedly hoping the sun flashing on his Mustang's wings would help them!  An incredible man who well deserved the VC.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...