Alternative to Humbrol 250 (Desert pink)

treker_ed

Well as the title suggests - I need an alternative to the above!

My local Hobby shops (Model Zone & Hobbycraft) do not carry Humbrol acrylic paints. Model Zone have the spray cans, and Hobbycraft only stock enamels - neither of which are much good as I have to do my modelling on the dining table, in the living room. I can just about get away with using an airbrush with acrylics.

Can anyone suggest an alternate colour for a 1/72 Airfix Buccaneer, that will be panted in Operation Granby desert pink! I only have access to Revell Aqua range or Tamiya paints from the above two stores. I really do not want to resort to ordering any more paints as I practically have most of the Revell paints and want to use the paints that I have.

Many thanks

Edited by treker_ed

Anything like a sand or deserty colour with a touch of red added I reckon would pass.

It's not a colour that stayed pristene for very long, and in the field (desert) patches were painted with ordinary sand or beige colours, so just go by eye.

Hovis, Thanks for the suggestion, I will probably give this a try at some point - I'm currently working on the Airfix 1/24 Mosquito, so this will take up most of my modelling for the next couple of months. Due to a new job, and the times I will be getting home in the evening, my modelling will only be done at the weekends and so will have to take a bit of a back seat during the week!

Scratcher,

I don't tend to do any weathering on any of my builds - I have them appear "factory fresh"! But thanks for the links any way.

I was stationed at Lossie for a couple of years back in the early 90's so saw quite a few of the Buccs whilst there.

• 6 years later...
On 16/01/2013 at 23:28, hovis said:

Anything like a sand or deserty colour with a touch of red added I reckon would pass.

It's not a colour that stayed pristene for very long, and in the field (desert) patches were painted with ordinary sand or beige colours, so just go by eye.

Well said! I totally agree, as I did for my Jaguar desert storm. Useless faffing around with specific nuances of pink. 

On 1/16/2013 at 4:14 PM, treker_ed said:

I only have access to Revell Aqua range or Tamiya paints from the above two stores.

And what You problem? No understand!!!

Searching on site www.revel.de

any aircraft from 

Operation Granby painted in desert pink....as example Tornado GR Mk.1 RAF "Gulf War" Scale: 1:32
 Article number: 03892

https://www.revell.de/produkte/modellbau/flugzeuge/militaer-modern/tornado-gr-mk-1-raf-gulf-war.html

go to on link to "Revell download center" for download assembly manual for this model in pdf format: 

https://stage.revell.de/fileadmin/import/images/bau/03892_%23BAU_TORNADO_GR.1_GULF_WAR_V0102.LOW.PDF

Download, reading....Revell recommended for 

Tornado GR Mk.1 RAF "Gulf War" next Revell paint mix:

65% Revell 05 Matt White + 20% Revell 85 Matt Brown + 15% Revell 84 Matt Leather Brown.

Mixing....if don't like searching other assembling manual for other Revell Gulf war model...repeat cycle!

All simply?!

😉😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

A six year old thread!!! I would imagine the original poster has found his desert pink by now and probably finished his Buccaneer and several other models as well 😉

Maybe we should ask @treker_ed how he got on, he is still with us & still posting. 

Steve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aardvark said:

And what You problem? No understand!!!

Searching on site www.revel.de

any aircraft from 

Operation Granby painted in desert pink....as example Tornado GR Mk.1 RAF "Gulf War" Scale: 1:32
 Article number: 03892

https://www.revell.de/produkte/modellbau/flugzeuge/militaer-modern/tornado-gr-mk-1-raf-gulf-war.html

go to on link to "Revell download center" for download assembly manual for this model in pdf format: 

https://stage.revell.de/fileadmin/import/images/bau/03892_%23BAU_TORNADO_GR.1_GULF_WAR_V0102.LOW.PDF

Download, reading....Revell recommended for 

Tornado GR Mk.1 RAF "Gulf War" next Revell paint mix:

65% Revell 05 Matt White + 20% Revell 85 Matt Brown + 15% Revell 84 Matt Leather Brown.

Mixing....if don't like searching other assembling manual for other Revell Gulf war model...repeat cycle!

All simply?!

😉😁

B.R.

Serge

In certain respects you are quite correct in that I could have looked this up - however, I did not want to be mixing batches of paint, and having problems with getting different shades in different batches. I much prefer not having the need to mix a required colour from several other colours, and prefer single colours.

However, the question was raised nearly 7 years ago now, and as someone has pointed out, this is rather an extreme thread revival! In Oct 2013, we moved and a few of my models went to be recycled - this was one of them! Cleaners getting the house ready for viewing prior to sale had been told not to clean the study where the models had been on display, sadly they disregarded the instructions, and cleaned anyway! This along with a Sea Vixen (1/48 Airfix) and a 1/72 Revel A-400M Atlas were damaged beyond repair and had to be disposed of.

As this thread is no longer of use, I am going to ask the mods/ admins to close it down.

@Mike, @Julien, @Greg B

Would one of you fine upstanding gentlemen of honour please lock this thread as the question posed was answered many a year ago, and since then, I have indeed found a most adequate alternative to Humbrol 250! Many thanks for your fine work! :yes:

Edited by treker_ed
spelling & grammer
  • Like 1

• Julien locked this topic