Saturn INT-20..resin from martins models

Hi,finally got round to finishing the capsule of this little build,the build pics are in the  other section if you want to see them.

What is it,well its been described as a souped up saturb 1B with a more powerful first stage or as a stubby,cut down Saturn V without the S-1 second stage,either way it works for me,before it was decided how man was going to get to the moon,various ingenious ways were thought of,in the end it was given to von braun and team,so various versions of the eventual winner the massive saturn v,were devised,to carry different payloads etc, This 4 engined one,was designed as a cheap,but easy way to carry quite big payloads.

without the S-1 second stage (which made up the bulk of the Saturn v),using the 5 engines would of put huge excesses of stress due to faster acceleration than a full saturn v.So it was proposed that if 5 engines were used,3 engines would have to be shut down,after 88 seconds,and the vehicle continue with the remaining 2 engines.This meant 3 engines would be dead weight,so it worked out more cost effective,for payload tonnes to use a 4 engined vehicle for a shorter burn.So 4 engined and 3 engined versions were designed but never made,but a very similar variant was used called the int-21,to launch skylab modules..

Heres some pics

bpc first,a joint effort,a resin shroud with a kit escape rocket.

004-7.jpg

cm is a joint effort as well ,the capsule is resin the body is the kit version,but with the resin engine section,making it look like the block 2 type.

005-37.jpg

001-7.jpg

complete

006-4.jpg

and with next

007-13.jpg

next stage

008-58.jpg

showing tank inside

009-34.jpg

resin engine section

010-33.jpg

and finished beast,showing main engines,resin versions and,a comparison with size against the 1/144 airfix skylab version.

003-6.jpg

013-3.jpg

002-1.jpg

011-2.jpg

comparison,

012-2.jpg

And thats it,thanks for looking....cheers Don

Hi Don,

I've got that set of resin detail parts, inc. engine shrouds etc. 

Any pitfalls to be aware of when preparing, or attaching to the kit?

cheers

Hi Don,

I've got that set of resin detail parts, inc. engine shrouds etc. 

Any pitfalls to be aware of when preparing, or attaching to the kit?

cheers

hI  mike,nothing special,its just needs patience with the gluing and sanding,which is something i get short of,so expect your version to be outstanding,no pressure there then?,ccheers Don....ps if you put the vehicle together first,and leave the engines till last you will get a better alignment ,just a thought.

• 2 months later...

Hi again, i thought i,d finished this model,but on this bank holiday,ive started to rationalise my rockets,i was wanting some way to display them with just a little bit of information,but in a method i can replicate every time,and end up with something that looks like it belongs,and a little bit of uniformaty?...struggled to try different ways,on their sides?with a degree of separation between stages?couldnt find a way i liked..so finally,took the plunge and decided to go for a easy plinth type stand,as a lot of my models are resin and they dont come with a display stand,and to be honest some kits come with stands,that over time tend to flop,sag etc,

So yesterday i refurbed the selene probe and fixed it to a plinth,shown on another post on here.So i decided to do the rest of my space items in a similar manner,past and future,so at least,they may look finished?

So heres a few pics,of my attempt to make an improvement to display my saturn,s.To be honest,its not the best ive seen,but im happy with the end result,and i can replicate every time,which is a bonus.

started with a 8x4 sheet of mdf,enough to make at least100,bases?

anyway heres the pic,s

this is what ive been using,not good

001_zps82d07c8c.jpg

so started with decideing on a decent size,and see how it sits?

001_zpsb00b4900.jpg

so decided to raise the rocket off the plinth slightly so decided on a central support.

002_zpsea4daedb.jpg

had some dowel..cut it to length,then thought i will have to paint it as its wood,so looking round,for a suitable replacement,i had a broken tripod camera stand,from the pound shop,lo and behold the telescopic legs were hollow alloy,and fit over the dowel snugly,so hey presto..

003_zpsc67c5ab9.jpg

so dowel and sleeve

004_zps4ee26864.jpg

my first idea was to bolt the stack with a captive bolt inside,tried it it didnt work,but would of with more time?

005_zpsd59b8f14.jpg

006_zpseec55172.jpg

so went with samedowel support,just different screw connection

007_zps45cbb2bf.jpg

008_zps61c4d09e.jpg

009_zpsc1b65a4e.jpg

just sand along edge of stand, as mdf is so soft to sand

010_zpsc3949086.jpg

Gave it a paint

012_zpsee80fc77.jpg

put a hole in saturn,s base,if this was the saturn 5,this would be inside the 5th engine

0132_zpsa9add32e.jpg

cheers don

sorry more pics

ok are we sitting comfortably,i,ll begin again...

this trial didnt work,nuts hot melt glued to inside the base..

014_zpsb7d020a8.jpg

015_zpsee107dbc.jpg

so in the end,glued a wood screw in place of the bolt,which screwed nicely into the wooden dowel....

end result

016_zps053c93d5.jpg

017_zpsf8736989.jpg

so whole vehicle just tightens up on the dowel,

002_zps8b81a12a.jpg

just in case you dont know,this is a pound shop tripod,plenty of sleeving in one.

003_zps50b51918.jpg

and dowel is a snug fit

004_zps49332bbe.jpg

finally a few details

005_zps215654ab.jpg

006_zps85dd3371.jpg

the whole thing is pretty sturdy..

007_zps595f2c80.jpg

might be of some use to someone enjoy......cheers Don

• Like 1