Airfix Illustrious warping?

j22mdr

I have the same problem on my model. The major problem for me is that I do not build full hull and can not use the lower hull to bring her back into shape.

photo12_zps509e9ee2.jpg

photo11_zpsde2d4439.jpg

After speaking to a few of the guys here on Britmodeller, I have been advised to try warm water. I am not to sure this will work on the second picture as there is an actual crease within the plastic. I am wondering if this is a batch issue as my model was purchased about 2 years ago. The models that I have in stock for the shop do not appear to suffer as badly and were purchased more recently. Was yours a standard model or the gift set version ?

As for my model, she has been put away while I consider what to do about her. Personally, I think she is too far gone and may just get another one. I could end up using the airwing from this set to add to the new one and possibly use this ship as a test subject for creating a backdated Invincible.

John

Edited by John Day

I have a red box kit, and that's warped too, it seems to be the sprue containing the 2 hull halves that is the major culprit, everything else is pretty much OK.

I have detached the main parts from the sprue and as they were obviously warped I have teased them into shape somewhat, and they do seem to be holding the new shape, although I did bend one half too far and succeeded in breaking the plastic however it didn't snap completely and a light brush with liquid poly seems to have fixed it..

I haven't got around to dry fitting it all together yet, but I suspect that some warm water may be needed.

I'll post some pics later of the stand that is also on the same sprue.

I did a dry fit this evening, and here's the result:

DSC_0170.jpg

I'd say it's pretty much a carbon copy of Mark's (j22mdr) kit.

If you try to build it as per the Airfix kit instruction the warping pretty much prevents it, I found it easier to build it all up from the keel upwards and then drop the hangar deck in from above.

I think I'm going to send some pics to Airfix and see if they can give me a replacement unwarped sprue 'A'.

Well I've had a response from Airfix, they've asked me to confirm exactly which parts are warped, so I've given them the part numbers of the hull halves and the lateral beam of the stand (it's so bent that the hull behaves like a see-saw when placed on it). Everything else I can live with or more properly I've managed to straighten.

Will see what they say to that.

hi

try sticking it in hot water it works for warped resin it should work on plastic

gary

Hi Gary,

Already done that, and did have some success with some smaller parts, but as the hull halve parts are so big it's difficult to do, and the warp is compound i.e. in more than one direction, 

Mine is warped as well, although not to the same extent as some of those above. I thought that I could straighten it out by gluing it to the lower hull and adding some bracing, but it didn't work. My next option (when I get a chance) is to put her between some clamps, apply some strong adhesive to the affected area and then leave her for a few days to set. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Good news, Airfix have responded today and told me that they're sending me a replacement sprue A, and as I was cheeky enough to ask, they're also sending me an additional airwing sprue to make up for my inconvenience.

A big thank you to Airfix, yes there was a problem but once again they show their willingness to put it right.

Hi Mark & Ant,

I am really sorry to see that you are having the same problem that I had. Both of your kits resemble the one I had with my first kit.

I bought mine alost 2 years ago as well, I had to have a bit of a harder discussion with Airfix as I had built so much of the kit including superstructure that I needed a whole kit including glue and paints.

Rick

Hi Mark & Ant,

I am really sorry to see that you are having the same problem that I had. Both of your kits resemble the one I had with my first kit.

I bought mine alost 2 years ago as well, I had to have a bit of a harder discussion with Airfix as I had built so much of the kit including superstructure that I needed a whole kit including glue and paints.

Rick

To be honest Rick, it was your build that alerted me to the potential problem, and made my decision to dry fit it all together to find out if it was similarly affected and consequently to contact Airfix easier.

I'm following your type 45 build with interest.

Cheers

Ant

I received my replacement A sprue from Airfix today and an almost complete E sprue, plus some additional loose aircraft parts giving me 2 SHar FA.2's, 2 Harrier GR.7's, 3 Merlins and a Sea King, should make the flight deck look a little more busy.

• 2 months later...

Its a big lump of plastic and the warps are to be expected where there is a change in thickness.

My one was warped to buggery as well. I just glued and taped it and left it for a day or two.

Ian M