HobbyBoss 1/48 Me262 A1a/U5

Just waiting for the off. You get quite a box full of bits in the Hobby Boss kit, including a white metal nose wheel bay to stop it from being a tail sitter. I'm going to leave the X-4 air-to-air missiles off, as I believe this would take the build into Luft '46 territory.

DSCF2559.jpg

Chris

Nice!

I don't know this model, but have build a few from other manufacturers in various scales.

Can’t have a Battle of the Reich without one of these!

Look forward to this build, do you have a colour scheme in mind?

Half expect to see a couple more being built here.

Good luck.

I know the Me262 isn't the most... original... of choices for an end of the war build, but I've never done one before, and I have a fondness for the shape - it makes me think of a flying Cornish pastie :analintruder:

I'm going to do the box scheme, as I think I'm right in saying that this U5 prototype was the only one of it's kind. Arnie, I believe Heinz Bär flew this machine on one of his first sorties with JV44. (Nice banner by the way :winkgrin: )

EDIT: Found on the Luftwaffe Experten Message Board - "WNr.112355. Me262A-1a/U5. This experimental weapons prototype with six 30 mm MK108 cannon was flight tested in March 1945. It was then transferred to JV44, and flown by Major Heinz Bär to München-Riem on 23 April from Lechfeld. It was flown in combat by Bär from München-Riem, from where he apparently shot down two P-47’s on 27 April, and one P-47 at Bad Abling on 29 April. This is the only known prototype. This aircraft has been incorrectly noted as 111355 in various documents."

Chris

Edited by cheeley

I know the Me262 isn't the most... original... of choices for an end of the war build, but I've never done one before, and I have a fondness for the shape - it makes me think of a flying Cornish pastie :analintruder:

Chris

And I thought it was just me that had a Ginsters fixation - I know what you mean though....

Cliff

Hey Chris,

don't know if you have been to this web site or have seen these pictures, but I thought I would post the link for you just incase.

There is some very good info on the cannon layout for this particular aircraft as well as photos.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?4127-Luftwaffe-Cannons-amp-Machineguns/page6

found as I was looking for info on my gun pod...still can't find it!!

HI Rich, thanks for that, I hadn't seen that particular thread. I think that shows the A1a-U1 armament (2 x 30mm MK108's, 2 x 30mm MK103's & 2 x 20mm MG151's) , rather than the U5. (6 x 30mm MK108).  I've seen a similar thread here http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/weapons-systems-tech/luftwaffe-cannons-machineguns-topic-6368-7.html This picture is in both threads

me262a1au1photo2kl0.jpg

However, the one thread says it's the U5. Looking at the file name, it's the U1

So I don't know if there are even any photo's of this particular plane!

Chris

Not much in the way of exciting progress to show. I gave a lot of the parts a black undercoat, then did the cockpit in dark grey RLM66-ish. Popped some PE belts in, and sloshed some Nuln Oil Citadel Shade (wash) around. Picked out some switches with a bit of paint on a cocktail stick, and rubbed a silver pencil over the rudder pedals and a few edges.

The instrument panel came with a decal, I don't usually use them but I gave this one a go. I got some Tamiya Mark Fit setting solution, the end result looks OK but it still needs some tidying up.

DSCF2561.jpg

The inner parts of the fuselage, nacelles etc were also given a black undercoat, then I sprayed using Citadel Runefang Steel (the new version of Mithril SIlver), and gave them an oil wash

This weekend should see a bit more assembling going on!

Chris

• 1 month later...

Finally an update! I did some more work on the pit and the gun bay, but I've had the in-laws here for a few weeks so everything was put on hold. The fuselage is closed up now, so the next thing to do is attack the seams and hope that the extra-thin did it's job and the gaps are filled.

DSCF2613_zpsfcdd3a3f.jpg

This week I'm hoping to get the engines together, I'm not looking forward to trying to get a smooth finish on my 'onions' though!

Chris

Well, the onions turned out fine. I had sprayed them silver along with the other engine parts before putting them together, but sanding & polishing took most of that off. So I ended up brush painting them (citadel) silver because I didn't want to set the airbrush up just for this little job.

DSCF2615_zps6184e83e.jpg

Chris

I thought I'd get a shift on, only 4 weeksleft of the group build, and the rate I'm going it won't get finished.

I did end up having to slap a bit of putty on my handiwork, as the gun deck & all the cockpit gubbins meant that the two halves of the fuselage were literally busting at the seams in places. I've got the main assembly done now, I have to say that the fit was pretty darn good, very little fettling was needed.

I had a small disaster as I was putting the engines on, I dropped the whole lot on the floor :doh: Despite bouncing end over end a few times it all held together but the radio inside the fuselage popped free and started rattling around. I managed to extract it through the gap behind the seat, that's it sat in front of the starboard wing. I don't think I'm going to try to put it back in place, as to be honest very little of the interior can be seen though the little access hatch. I also think that if I'm poking about with tweezers through the back of the cockpit I'm more than likely to trash the seat or other bits of the cockpit in the process.

DSCF2626_zpsd1af8e1a.jpg

Next stage: primer, and then no doubt more seam work!

Chris