UPDATE COMPLETE! - Hasegawa 1/48 Arado Ar-234B-2/N Nachtigall

Yeah, B's Hobby in Kyoto is great, it was a chance find last year, just walked past it and thought "now, hang on, that looks like a good hobby shop..." and it was. Are you going to Osaka by any chance? If you do, make sure you check out the hobby floor at Yodobashi Camera in Umeda (right next to the station) - amazing selection and the cheapest prices I've seen in Japan. Also, M's Plus and Hobbyland, both near Honmachi station.

Great work on the Arado and have a good trip.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Ok am back to the beast! :unsure:

Not a lot has happened, been sort of recovering from trip plus getting ready to head off for work again......oh plus working on the 1/144 GB babies.

Basically have been tiding up the weathering here and there plus adding the PE bits to the control surfaces and undercarriage doors.

DSCF0636_zps6d5af457.jpg

DSCF0639_zps59e3584e.jpg

DSCF0637_zpsf2df7736.jpg

Still have to make cover where bomb site was, tried one with some left over PE but that didn't work. So will make it from plastic card, plus then get to use new groovy revit tool! :thumbsup:

The mounting framework for the RATO’s appears to be a bit chunky, really needs to be replaced but really don't have the time. So at a later stage may make a new frame or replace with an aftermarket one, will see.

DSCF0638_zpsc823f425.jpg

Have only managed to lose one bit, who knows where it went, was so small but left the tweezers at a great rate of knots!!! It’s so nice the Eduard supplies extras.

Really just a lot of tiding up to do to finish it off, oh and the antennas! Bought a new pin vice and drill bits for that task, something to do when I’m a bit more relaxed!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the nice comments...

Well have finally gotten back to the beast, have been back home for a week but have sort of been busy on other stuff....including building a “Nixie” tube clock! Super cool!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Ok the finishing line is in sight.....else I’ll have 4 GB’s and 5 planes in progress.....anyway.

I’m now going through the long process of adding all the small final bits and finding out these should have been done much earlier than the instructions suggested, though at the risk of breaking and losing. :owww:

Plus I have started on the antennae setup.......

This was the hard bit, the parts are so fine. The pilot holes are 0.3mm, three were done without issue but the last one....well some carefully placed super glue will fix. With the main arms now fitted I have found there are some issues with the whole cockpit module not being completely square! Without the antennas it looked fine and everything lined up, now once fitted.... not much can be done now short of cutting the whole front cockpit off. It’s not too noticeable, but now I know it’s there.....I’ll just have to align the antennas as best I can.

DSCF0654_zpsa0cda8f9.jpg

DSCF0659_zps523bd6b2.jpg

The bent bits were bent in the packet, will straighten, but are a bit concerned they may break or the carpet monster will try to reclaim the antennae I dropped today!

DSCF0661_zpsd6f6937b.jpg

Just temporarily fitted to see how it will look.

The holes in these bits were just for painting. I’ll only just lightly weather these parts.

DSCF0658_zpsf147693a.jpg

My now cover for the old bomb site, have started the weather process. Got to try my new Rivet tool! You can see the one odd antennae mount! :doh:

DSCF0657_zps141ab5fa.jpg

Just wanted to show the Flare pistol, probably the last time it’ll ever be noticed!

DSCF0655_zpsad2b362b.jpg

May have to take the front glazing off to remove “dust bunnies”...hopefully not. :unsure:

I have just noticed how it's not until you have close-up details photos how bad some of your mistakes are.....will have to start using more soft focus shots! :P

Next up-date with some luck will be the last......

• Like 1

Ok with luck this will be the last post before it’s all done.........finally.

Been a busy day sorting out all those little last bits that should have been done earlier!

Added the tube probes and normal antennae.....and bend said items multiple times! :doh:

DSCF0681_zps13f138cc.jpg

I finally sorted out the gun pod issue, decided to go with the kit version rather than the other one shown in drawings. As I just can’t quite get the shape right of that one as all the drawing are quite vague on its actual shape. You would have thought that this being such a rare beast (only two built) that someone would have taken some photo for Arado in case they had to build more!

DSCF0686_zpsc3fa9da2.jpg

Drop tanks and rocket pods were fitted, just have to finish off the parachutes, something I should have finished much earlier!

DSCF0682_zps52ea5242.jpg

Plus will fit (once made) the Naxos fairing over the hole in the top.

DSCF0687_zpsb7fdb4c4.jpg

Just a comparison shot of the kit and Master Model antenna. Drawings don’t show it but I also decided to add the warning markings to the bottom antennae, seems like a sensible thing to have done on the real aircraft!

Well as said the next post to say it’s all over a done with.........finally!

ok she's all done! :yahoo:

The last few bits sorted and fitted and that’s it.

Has been one of the biggest builds I have done and for the most part really enjoyable. Other than the mishap with the Matt clear coat everything sort of went together without too many issues. As a result it’s not the crisp near factory new finish I was after but now the war weary beast in the final days of the war.

Would I do it again.......tomorrow! Learnt a lot with this build including the issues with the actual kit, so next time it will be almost perfect. There are a couple of errors with this build, but to correct would require MAJOR surgery, lucky I’m the only one that can spot them! ;) I’d say in the next year or two, or if the right GB comes up I’ll build the second aircraft in this series (they only built two), that how much I enjoyed this build.

Here a a few photos that didn't make it to the gallery section.

DSCF0715_zps08ec715c.jpg

The DF antenna was there at the start of the photo shoot, but soon went AWOL, little bugger, only noticed it was missing as I was uploading photo's, have to refit.

DSCF0723_zpsbe09cd99.jpg

DSCF0719_zpsd22df581.jpg

A kind thank you to all those who offered kind comments of support and for everyone who followed this build. :thumbsup: Hope you enjoyed it.

One GB down......three to go!!! :banghead::frantic:

• Like 3

Followed this from the start and can state that this has been a superb build, well done.

Nigel

thanks Nigel,

Though I had a couple of other more appropriate words I could have used at various stages other than epic....... :fuyou_2::winkgrin:

Looking at the beast now I would really recommend to anyone wanting to build the Hasegawa Ar234 to,

1, invest in the Aries cockpit set, all that “glass” area is just dying for detail, don’t worry about the wheel bay set, more effort than it’s worth or can be seen.

2, plus the Eduard PE set, you can then mix and match with the Aries PE set

3, and Eduard Cockpits masks...... goes without saying.

These three extras will make any version something special.