Winter Camo Ju-88 - Airfix 1/72 - Resin update 23/01

Nice work with an ancient kit - I'd have went straight for a Hasegawa or Revell kit, although I couldn't build anything with a swastika on it nowadays with a clear conscience.

Looking at it though, the kit seems to capture the chunky look of the Ju 88 quite well, especially the undercarriage nacelles.  Perhaps it's not so bad in terms of overall outline as many would have had us believe?

IIRC, AIMS may do some resin Jumo 211 engines for the Italeri kit which may improve the look.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
  • Like 1

Cheers Wooksta, I went for the Airfix as it was cheap and easy to get hold of. I shall be doing a Revell one not long after I finish this though as there are a few tasty scheme I want to do off this decal sheet :)

Cheers Andy, it could be better (tighter to the panel lines) but for what this is for, its fine. I shall be doing alot more kits with it though! Just make sure you trim the riveter down so you can see where its going! :)

Hey guys,

Some photos of the lovely resin. First up is the Pavla wheels, massive improvement! (Against kit part)

8408667905_9285c709e5_z.jpg

Airfix Ju-88 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

8409765898_108795c36a_z.jpg

Quickboost exhaust, these are very fragile and I had a slight mis-hap taking them off the casting block. Nothing to major as it shouldn't be seen when fitted up..

8408671443_fcc3bba649_z.jpg

..then what I done was cut the engine nacelle off, cut out where the exhaust was going to sit then filled the inside of the engine nacelle with Milliput, pushing the exhausts in place. Once the Milliput is set I shall take it apart, tidy it up then glue it back together, fill, sand, scribe and rivet.

8409765512_1be8a848c4_z.jpg

Thanks for looking... :)

Edited by Radleigh
  • Like 1

According to my Airfix book - 1964! Hell's bells - I was 2! :yikes:

I wonder which one has stood the sands of time better!!! :P can't say too much as am the same vintage as you........... :wacko:

It's coming along nicely, I have one of the Trumpter riveter wheels, haven't used it yet, will have to the mod.

it's a pity you had to cut the engines to fit the exhausts!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got loads done to this thenwork halted due to my work load, so now it won't be finished in time for the 14th! I am going to finish it over the next 3 weeks though, thats a dead cert!!! Thanks for all who watched and followed.

Best of luck to all that finish too!! :)

• 2 years later...

Nice built, starting the same kit myself .The canopy is awful so are you replacing it or just masking as I can't find a mask.

Afternoon, I am building this as well and will follow with interest. The canopy is a bit, well, eh, crap, so are you replacing it or going with it?

Thinking about replacing mine with a Falcon clear vax one, but that means more cash spent on the this one as I am going to get a camo mask and new wheels as well,

Will follow keenly,

Chris

• 1 month later...