1/48 - Sukhoi Su-27/ Shenyang J-11 "Flanker" family by HobbyBoss - released - new "Flanker-B" boxing released

Homebee

Hello, friends!

As I can see in Adrian's pictures, tail part of chinese Flanker looks narrower, then Academy's one. If true, it's a sad thing, because the Academy Su-27 is already narrower, then should be in reality. The real thing should be 93mm between stabilizers in 1/48. Academy has only 89mm. Moreover, it has smaller engine gondola size and nozzle diameters. Again, real thing in scale has about 25mm diameter at the fuselage edge and Academy ~24mm. Not a big difference in size, but very noticeable visually. That is one of many reasons why Academy Su-27 looks so anemic.

You're point being.....?

Edited by Robotics

Academy have still problems with extents - a many years ago, when Aca and Hase released F-22 i make a compare between this two kits and academy tail was narrower too... And Kinetic ? Can you compare with it or Sea Flanker have larger/smaller/narrower tail and it is uncoparable ?

I got my kit last Friday. Very nice kit and very fine panel lines, very similar to Eduard Migs.

My only complaint, why two-part horizontal stabilizers, tail vertical fins, missiles, and even the two small fins under de engines?

I'm sure they could have done it in one piece.

Apart from that, it's a superior kit compared to the Academy Su-27.

Juan

Edited by jsolo
  • Like 2

I got my kit last Friday. Very nice kit and very fine panel lines, very similar to Eduard Migs.

My only complaint, why two-part horizontal stabilizers, tail vertical fins, missiles, and even the two small fins under de engines?

I'm sure they could have done it in one piece.

Apart from that, it's a superior kit compared to the Academy Su-27.

Juan

Maybe it's to prevent sink marks that occur with thick sections of moulded polystyrene

Les

• 2 months later...

Kit ref. 81711 - Sukhoi Su-27 "Flanker-B"

Release announced for late June 2016 in China.

Source: http://www.hobbyboss.com/index.php?g=home&m=article&a=show&id=65&l=en

Box art - Another Kostas piece of art!

572413890456a.jpg

V.P.

Dear Hombee, great informer as always! Thank you for the kind words about my effort in Aviation-box art!! As for the kit...i hope to be a good one! After all there are so many well informed guys here to judge that!! Thanks again!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thanks to the as ever superb Chris at Bos Model Centre I now have a J-11B in my possession. It's a nice model that's certainly more refined than the Academy effort. As noted, it's not perfect, but it'll certainly build up into a nice model.

Apart from the missiles and maybe the tail fins (I'm no expert), all the parts to build the Su-27 appear to be in the box. There maybe other changes needed, but as mentioned earlier it'll look the part.

Visually, the main difference between a J-11B and a 'vanilla' Su-27 is in the drooped wingtip launch rails on the former - to clear the fins of the Chinese PL-8 missiles.

Some of the other missile pylons are different as well.

Some J-11B's are fitted with the Chinese WS-10 engine - this has different nozzles to the AL-31 - check out photos.

The radome on the J-11B has raised lightning/strengthening strips - a different cockpit with MFD displays and HUD and slightly different RWR aerials on the fins and tailboom etc.

My build of Trumpeters 1/72 scale J-11B (with WS-10 nozzles) is here

Happy Flankering.

Ken

Sorry Ken,

Failed to read your very informative response….I think my question has been answered.

• 1 month later...

The J-11 seems to be slow in filtering out to the bricks and mortar shops, I realise it's available online but I have a voucher for my LMS I want to use for one of these kits! They don't have the J-11 yet so at this rate it could be 2017 before they have this one.

Looks nice.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...