1/48 - Sukhoi Su-27/ Shenyang J-11 "Flanker" family by HobbyBoss - released - new "Flanker-B" boxing released

Homebee

Not absolutely convinced it is wrong.

All that is hiding between the intakes and the upper parts of the fuseladge.

It depands on what is visible.

It is wrong Dio - the rear face of the Flanker main wheel bays are at right angles to the aircraft axis - Trumpeter (and now HB) have got them incorrectly angled.

Here's the Trumpeter 1/72 scale J-11B kit....

J-11b%20003.jpg

Does it matter ??? - Once the engine intakes are fitted - you can only see part of the wheel bay anyway....

Here's a Trumpeter (and now HB) wheel bay with the intake in place.....

Su-27SM_44.jpg

.... compared to a correct (Zvezda Su-27SM) wheelbay....

Su-27SM_45.jpg

So it's down to whether the individual modeller can live with it???

All of Trumpeters 1/72 scale Flanker range has the same problem - but for me, it isn't a deal-breaker.

Whether you can live with it in 1/48 scale is up to you.

Ken

PS - Trumpeter got the angles correct on their 1/72 scale Su-33/J-15 - so they did listen.

j-15_003.jpg

• Like 6

It is wrong Dio - the rear face of the Flanker main wheel bays are at right angles to the aircraft axis - Trumpeter (and now HB) have got them incorrectly angled

So it's down to whether the individual modeller can live with it???

All of Trumpeters 1/72 scale Flanker range has the same problem - but for me, it isn't a deal-breaker.

Whether you can live with it in 1/48 scale is up to you.

Ken

I have started to work on the Hobby Boss kit, wanted to see if the angle of the wheel well makes much of a difference...

It did not make much of a difference with the Academy kit, I don`t even remember anyone saying anything about it

I agree with Flankerman, not a deal-breaker for at all.

A couple of pictures:

Academy kit first

20160105_213602_zpsvniepo3s.jpg

Hobby Boss kit

2016-01-05%2021.42.13_zps2ejusopw.jpg

What do you guys think?

Adrian

I think this error is easily corrected. Canopy and lerx shape is much more important and 1/72 kit has flaws there.

Check the comparison with Zvezda Su-27 1/72-side by side, unfortunately Trump kit just doesn't capture the cobra like shape of Flanker...

P

It's more or less the same shape problems of the original 1/32 kit. Canopy profile, wheel wells, nose shape. Haven't seen a good shot of the intakes yet, but I imagine it'll be similar.

Like people have said, it doesn't have to be a deal breaker, each to their own, etc. Keeps the aftermarket industry going, at least!

The Aires wheel well replacements for the 1/32 are engineered to straighten the kit ones out. I should hope their inevitable 1/48 version will do something similar.

Al

Edited by Alan P

Well as I said: "It depends on what is visible."

And from what I can see not much can be seen after the intakes are added.

So this one is not a big deal for me...

Other shape issues, with the hood or the lerxs, might be more significant...

I think this error is easily corrected. Canopy and lerx shape is much more important and 1/72 kit has flaws there.

Check the comparison with Zvezda Su-27 1/72-side by side, unfortunately Trump kit just doesn't capture the cobra like shape of Flanker...

P

I've been taking some photos of my Flanker kits to illustrate the differences between the Zvezda Su-27SM and Trumpeter Flankers.

First off, here's a near side-on photo of a Su-27SM wot I took at Lipetsk....

day_02_61.jpg

Here's the comparison photos.....

Flankers_composite_01.jpg

Flankers_composite_02.jpg

Flankers_composite_03.jpg

If I could, I'd stick with Zvezda as they got their Su-27SM absolutely spot-on - but as they haven't followed it up with a vanilla Su-27 (or any other Flankers as yet), I'll have to make do with what Trumpeter are offering.

Happy Flankering

Ken

• Like 4

Well, Trumpeter do not look that bad (thanks for sharing your photos!). Unless you have corrected things...

The only Trumpeter kit I have bought is the Mig-23MLD, and that not without lots of concerns...

I 'd like to take somethings as for granted for the modern era companies: Things like the general shape or dimensions should be correct. I don't want having to research to that level.

Unfortunately, this is not (yet) the case, with the most outstanding example of Eduard's Me-109.

Trumpeter is famous for being always... almost right!

And this, I don't like...

In that case (Su-27) I am not yet convinced that this could possibly be my second exception!

I think they got many things right. Front fuselage looks really really good to me. Comparison pictures with Academy is very telling. Now, we have a much better Flanker in 1/48 scale.

Me buying at least two of this. :) And very excited about the other 5 variants coming, too. Especially Su-30MKK and "early" flanker.

• Like 1

In a Chinese forum some fellows modellers have done some work with a picture I took a few days ago...

SU-27%20Hobbyboss_zpse8asdwoy.jpg

It`s not perfect but I think it is not far off.

Adrian

I have been working on the SU-27 Hobbyboss over the last week.

2016-01-08%2016.02.44_zpssyl4op7g.jpg

How is it?

The build was straight forward with a perfect fit (No Putty Required), some work was needed in the intakes and a bit on the nose but still not putty required.

The opinion that somebody may have of this kit (or any kit) I think depends on their individual expectation.

In my case, what I was looking for was something better than the Academy kit and I think Hobbyboss has delivered that.

More accurate in dimensions and shape, good recessed and raised detail, some of it missed completely by Academy

and more importantly I was looking for the "attitude" of the Flanker, the attitude that Flankerman well describes as a cobra about to attack.

2016-01-08%2016.01.07_zpsqjnyjrmv.jpg

Is the SU-27 Hobbyboss worth the money?

Absolutely.

Would I recommend it?

I`m sure anyone who bought the Academy kit will be happy with the Hobbyboss effort so yes.

Is this the ultimate Flanker kit?

No but honestly, nobody was expecting it to be.

Hobbyboss is offering value for money kits, one would never expect to find an state of the art model kit inside one of their boxes.

I think the job of delivering the Ultimate Flanker kit should be put on hands of brands like AMK, GWH or Aviation Art (under their new name) to name a few, brands that are not willing to sacrifice the quality and accuracy of their products.

Hopefully this build will be in the RFI section in the next week or so.

Adrian

• Like 6

Hi, Adrian

First, I'm sorry for the usage of your picture to make a comparision with the drawings without your permission.

The drawings can be downloaded from this website: http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/su27aiv.html

About the accuracy of the drawings, I've checked it by making a comparision with a picture of the real bird(http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4252869183).

Looking forward for your working progress of the newest kit of my favourite jet!

By the way, I come from China, not Japan.

Keen

Edited by keen
  • Like 1

Hi Keen, feel free to use any of the pictures I post in Britmodeller, as long as it is for a good cause.

Sorry about the mistake on the origin of the picture. Previous post corrected.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi, Adrian

First, I'm sorry for the usage of your picture to make a comparision with the drawings without your permission.

The drawings can be downloaded from this website: http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/su27aiv.html

About the accuracy of the drawings, I've checked it by making a comparision with a picture of the real bird(http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4252869183).

Looking forward for your working progress of the newest kit of my favourite jet!

By the way, I come from China, not Japan.

Keen

天灭小号手,红星保平安!I just want zvezda's 1/72 Flanker!

天灭小号手,红星保平安!I just want zvezda's 1/72 Flanker!

If unable to find the Zvezda, the Revell Su-27SM is a reboxing of the Zvezda kit, however I believe that the Zevzda has the edge in the decal department.

• Like 1

Are there any key differences between the Russian and the Chinese versions? Anything we should be really aware?

(I don't mean things like the decals, but mostly structural differences).

By the way, I am also happy for this one.

It appears that we are even closer now to a decent Su-27.

Edited by DIO

Visually, the main difference between a J-11B and a 'vanilla' Su-27 is in the drooped wingtip launch rails on the former - to clear the fins of the Chinese PL-8 missiles.

Some of the other missile pylons are different as well.

Some J-11B's are fitted with the Chinese WS-10 engine - this has different nozzles to the AL-31 - check out photos.

The radome on the J-11B has raised lightning/strengthening strips - a different cockpit with MFD displays and HUD and slightly different RWR aerials on the fins and tailboom etc.

My build of Trumpeters 1/72 scale J-11B (with WS-10 nozzles) is here

Happy Flankering.

Ken

• Like 1

Visually, the main difference between a J-11B and a 'vanilla' Su-27 is in the drooped wingtip launch rails on the former - to clear the fins of the Chinese PL-8 missiles.

Some of the other missile pylons are different as well.

Some J-11B's are fitted with the Chinese WS-10 engine - this has different nozzles to the AL-31 - check out photos.

The radome on the J-11B has raised lightning/strengthening strips - a different cockpit with MFD displays and HUD and slightly different RWR aerials on the fins and tailboom etc.

My build of Trumpeters 1/72 scale J-11B (with WS-10 nozzles) is here

Happy Flankering.

Ken

Thanks Ken. Appreciated :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, i today order Kinetic "Sea Flanker" and when i understand in it's own thread Kinetic have only moulds bought from another Chinese company when prepare to release a Su-33 only.... So, i have naturally an Academy Su-27 in my shelf too.... I'm very sceptic for accuracy of any Trumpy/HB kit, but i don't believe a any company make complete Flanker family... Are this Chinese version overall good ? (Within whell bay ?)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, friends!

As I can see in Adrian's pictures, tail part of chinese Flanker looks narrower, then Academy's one. If true, it's a sad thing, because the Academy Su-27 is already narrower, then should be in reality. The real thing should be 93mm between stabilizers in 1/48. Academy has only 89mm. Moreover, it has smaller engine gondola size and nozzle diameters. Again, real thing in scale has about 25mm diameter at the fuselage edge and Academy ~24mm. Not a big difference in size, but very noticeable visually. That is one of many reasons why Academy Su-27 looks so anemic.

• Like 1