This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Chaotic Mike

1/32 Trumpeter Dauntless

Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends...

Here we have Trumpeter's 1/32 SBD-3 Dauntless, which has been keeping me very happy for the past 3 months.  I have noticed a whole bunch of Trumpeter bashing going on relating to their prospective new Venom; all I can say is that this Dauntless, and the Me-262 that brought me back to the hobby, have been joys to build.

I used Montex masks for the first time, and was really happy with how they turned out... much more than I was with a set of Yellow Wings decals, which were basically the wrong size, and  too fragile to work with.  In the end, just a few stencils got used - for the major markings (aircraft identification) I cut my own masks out of Tamiya tape after scanning in the YW codes to get the basic size and shape right.

I had a bit of a mare with the paint job, which actually turned out good.  I mixed up my own upper surface blue using Tamiya acrylics, sprayed it, Klear-ed it, decalled it, and sprayed Tamiya flat base on that I thought was a matt varnish.    Nope.  Instead, as the flat base dried it turned opaque and a very pale grey.  Unsurprisingly, this caused a certain amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth on my part.  I discovered (panicking) that if I polished it using damp denim, I was able to remove most of the flat base, leaving highlights in the rivet holes and a general air of fading and dilapidation, such as might be experienced by a plane parked in the heat of the sun on a carrier somewhere in the Pacific. 

Lets get started...

Dauntless1_zps979794db.jpg

A general view, showing the accidental fading and rivet highlighting.  The 'B-10' is from a hand cut mask; the main insignia are Montex.  First time for me, I think they are tremendous.

Dauntless9_zps5bf435a8.jpg

Cor, look at the bright red flaps on that...  (I'll get me coat...)

Dauntless5_zps8dc6a77e.jpg

A close up of the engine.  Because it came with transparent cowlings, I thought I would artistically leave part of one side clear, to show off some internals that otherwise would be lost for all time.

Dauntless3_zpsf3405f92.jpg

Front view.  I put in the ignition harness using the wire from a wine bottle... see, everything can be re-purposed.  I also used somebody's advice to anneal the wire first, which made bending it to shape an awful lot easier.

Dauntless7_zps53c11373.jpg

Close up of the driving seat.  You can't really see what's going on in there, but Trumpeter's moulding and detailing is beautiful, and looked a lot like the pictures I was using for references.

Dauntless8_zps67962dbf.jpg

A close up of the gunner's position.  I replaced the gun barrels with brass... certainly look the part.

Dauntless10_zpse9f8c45b.jpg

Just showing it's got an underside, too!

Fantastic job of weathering, even if it was accidental, a new technique that you can use again.

Cheers

Dennis

That's a very nice looking Dauntless :goodjob:

Looking good, this ones now on my wish list. I reckon you've got the weathering spot on - sun and salt air = faded paintwork ! I'm not a fan of transparent panels, but your work looks classy and well finished - well done indeed.

Edited by ajaycad

i wish my cockups came out so well. thats really effective.

Well done on your dauntless it's very impressive.

Brody

Thanks everybody. Next up is the Trumpeter 1/32 Crusader, plus an Aires cockpit. New territory...

I think you may have just stumbled on a new weathering technique!!  The dauntless is one of trumpeters better kits.  You have filled me with confidence re the montex masks.  I have several sets to use and am impressed with your results on your first go at using them

Bruce

I think you may have just stumbled on a new weathering technique!!  The dauntless is one of trumpeters better kits.  You have filled me with confidence re the montex masks.  I have several sets to use and am impressed with your results on your first go at using them

Bruce

Thanks! I think if you follow the instructions on Montex' web site (like I didn't...) you won't go far wrong. I didn't do the bit about white, then aircraft colour, then the dark blue for the star, which led to a tiny white border around the insignia. To be fair to Montex, they are quite explicit that this effect can be avoided by following their instructions!

Nicely done :clap:

Thanks again... Inspiration from your build of a couple of years back. I did the gunner's control column modification, just like you...!

Lovely build

I'm sure I have the same kit in my stash somewhere, so might give it a go

I really like your Dauntless. Looks good.

Nice paintwork and style.

Karen