Tamiya YZF-R1

Riggers

Right then, here we go........

I will be doing the Yam R1 in all it's original colour scheme Deep Purplish Blue Metallic (thanks Steve from Hiroboy) for the paint job.

There will be a few bits of CF, not yet decided where yet, but we'll see what happens!

Cut down rear mudguard so I can have a 'skinny' reg plate & not the bill-board as standard (Kel will be up for that one.....)

Clear blue fairing screen with fairing rivets either picked out in blue or left chrome (dunno yet).

Have a think about the exhaust, don't know what to do with that yet..........

Box shot.....

DSCF4658_zps4c8d7530.jpg

Sprue shot......

DSCF4661_zpsf0e9702f.jpg

More later as I progress...........

Cool one Riggers...

I really think the Deep Purple (smooooooke one the waaaaater.... Hehe sorry) will look cool.

As for the gazoom pipe, I reckon the simplest always looks best, just plain semi gloss black would look way coooool.

Popcorns been ordered, shall follow with interest...

steve

We'll see what happens Steve regarding the zorst!

Might do proper CF rather than the 'effort' that Tamiya has supplied.....square decal sheet!

Got to get over that ruddy Chipmunk first!

Have fun mate..........

Oh yes, tis bluddy cold here!!!!

Summat like this.......

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p507/R166ERS/10781_1351001927_r1_with_black_wheels_1_zps1e8323c7.jpg

Sorry for the hyperlink, Photobucket is rubbish & keep getting errors here saying it doesn't like this kind of 'image extension'......strange that it liked the photos above done in exactly the same way!!

ATB

Edited by Riggers

Well,

Here we go with some starter shots............

Brake discs before.....

DSCF4662_zpse25752d9.jpg

Brake discs after.....

DSCF4664_zpsc44ffb99.jpg

0.65mm drill bit....

DSCF4665_zps1028ffdc.jpg

Some bits primed with AlcladII white with microfiller....

DSCF4668_zps9ffaf6b4.jpg

More bits primed....

DSCF4672_zps512e67e8.jpg

Can't be doing with the 'standard' rear unit with such a large plate holder......off she comes!

DSCF4671_zpsc6816e67.jpg

Got my colours sorted now & scheme so I'm happy.

Proper CF zorst end can with Akra decal. Titanium downpipes as well.

Just waiting for the fairing bolts to arrive from Japan so I can drill the 0.2mm holes in the fairing, side fairing & exhaust ends. Don't want to drill yet as want to receive the rivets first!

She will be a single seat version (no chicks allowed to scream in your ear "slow down"!

Wheels will be semi gloss black & fairing screen will be clear blue.

Might do a CF yoke cover, depends on how the CF application performs!!

Still can't get any steel braided hose for the brake lines! Can't drill into the cylinders as to small to accept the .65mm solid cable that I have. Modeller in Japan used to do the hollow braided hose, but have ceased production! Well hacked off with that decision I tell you. Who the hell has standard brake hoses on an R1????

Oh well, back to work......

ATB & have a good Sunday.............

Riggypoo's :analintruder:

Looking good mate, looking good.

Seems we've both been drilling out disc brakes today (the joys of modelling).

I concur completey regarding the braided hoses, but i might have a contact on that front, will let you know asap, and this time im going to buy a whole bunch to last me a good while.

Keep the faith

Steve

I concur completey regarding the braided hoses, but i might have a contact on that front, will let you know asap, and this time im going to buy a whole bunch to last me a good while.

OMG! If you can get some mate, I'll have a load off you! Supposed to be in the region of .6mm for brake lines.

HAve fun matey.............

Well....here we go....a teaser of the paint job!

DSCF4675_zps5c5650f4.jpg

What do you think........

DSCF4674_zpsbe187d7c.jpg

CF on the zorst end can.....

DSCF4677_zpse6970043.jpg

Just needs to be weathered...way better than the original Tamiya effort!

More pics soon.......

ATB

Nice paint job....i will be following this with interest....especially as I work with bikes (selling accessories for them) for my day job....i will have to try a bike at some time in the future....

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

That looks ace, your brake discs look the same as mine so I guess I'm going to have to drill mine aswell now I have seen how much better they look, really enjoying following the build and pinching all the great ideas you chaps have. Looking forward to the next installment

Graham

Well.....more update pics for you.........

Her lovely rear end!

Aftermarket CF for the end can, Micron decal & screws fixing the decal!

2013-01-31-581_zpsda59885d.jpg

CF scoops completed........

2013-01-31-580_zps10e3d8a9.jpg

Fairing has quick release fixings attached.....a right pain as well! 0.2mm holes! Ohlins colours for the forks as well.............

2013-01-31-579_zps88be75b0.jpg

Rear end again......

2013-01-31-575_zps17c5d8be.jpg

Body work pics.......

2013-01-31-573_zps5acefd39.jpg

Front end.........

2013-01-30-572_zps4c2ecf7b.jpg

Front end, again!

2013-01-30-571_zps209ebfd3.jpg

She has been brilliant bike to do...really! The fit on most parts is superb as always with Tamiya.

Got some more bits to do before the big reveal...mainly the ruddy screen1 Have got some TS-72 Clear Blue in today so I'll give that a go & see what happens!

More small screws to fit, decal to go on the screen (thanks as always to wagoneer, arrived this morning mate!), plate to make up....wagoneer again!

Then we can put her in the 'Gallery'.

Love to hear your comments as always....be nice! Lol

ATB..............Riggers

Cheers Steve.......

I 'think' I have the screen sorted! Spraying Clear Blue works, but when spraying, the paint simply slides off! Never has a paint done that before. I'm spraying little & often to build up the layers. Once completed, the decal will be applied then it'll be dipped in Klear. Fingers crossed, it'll be ok!

Very odd spraying a clear part though.......

ATB & have fun............

ahh, yup...

you need to wash the clear parts in warm soapy water then dry them off. Some kind of film on them, release agent or something i believe.

What i do with clear bits, its mount them on an empty spray can and hold them at arms length from the spray, so its actually just the mist thats hitting the screen. do that until it basically turns blue... :analintruder:

but yeah, bitch to do clear parts.

later

Steve

Well....there is no more......sorry!

She has been completed & can be seen in the 'Gallery' for final inspection http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932101-gallery/

Be nice & be gentle!

It has been fun to build & loved every minute of it! Especially drilling a) all the holes in the brake discs & B) attempting to dtill 0.2mm holes in the fairing & inserting the quick release fixings & small screws! Not nice! All in all, cracking build!

Enjoy & have fun............Riggers