1/200 Arizona - Finished and moved to RFI

nick

Well this is a first, having strayed into tanky-clanky things already, here comes boats!

There I was minding my own business at Telford, when someone, quite possibly satan, quite literally put a 1/200 trumpy Arizona under my nose priced at fifty quid, this is a £200 kit so what are you going to do? Well if you're me, buy it obviously. Bargain or what? Well maybe, then came the After Market stuff. Oh dear, the fifty quid is well and truly out of the window then.

So after patiently waiting for all the AM bits I needed from Japan to arrive - I've started.

This thing is a monster, about a metre long, I've now got the MK1 design wooden deck and PE and it's simply superb, the kit's very good to start with in fairness but this is some of the nicest PE I've seen and the deck is something else.

I've been cracking on today and have got a surprising amount done. Too tired for photos, but stay tuned if you're interested.

God knows what I'm going to do with, it's already been made extremely clear that the mantelpiece is out of the question, plus it probably won't fit.

Might end up mooring it somewhere and renting it out.

Nick

Edited by nick
  • Like 1

OK few quick snaps, it's actually too big to photograph with a background

8374242299_922975a6a9_b.jpg

1/35 Churchill isn't a small model for comparison

8375319562_74890b5feb_b.jpg

8374252687_b29015b32f_b.jpg

8374254087_60aaf3b3ea_b.jpg

Nick

Edited by nick
  • Like 1

I hope I dont across one of these, as I fear like you Nick, I would succumb!!  Although the chances of me getting it for the same price would indeed be slim

If you reckon thats big, you should see the bismark.  One of my mates reckons when you die you could use the box as your coffin

Bruce

• Like 1

Need to decide on the colour scheme for this soon. The latest thinking implies it (cant bring myself to say 'she', I'm an aeroplane guy, it's a big ugly boat, not a girl, although in fairness some.... no step away drom that line of thought) was painted dark blue at the Time of the Pearl Harbour attack. Hmm. Maybe so, but to my untrained non-maritime eye, it looks bloody awful, so I will be depicting it at an unspefied date the day before this scheme was applied in proper 'target' grey :)

The boys at WEM who clearly know what they are talking about seem to say this is OK

https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/page/Camouflage+Schemes+Colours/20/

Is there a boat version of the IPSM Stockholm aircraft colour conversion that turns all these mysterious US boat colours into model paint anywhere?

Specifically this lot :-

5-D Dark Gray (US 04);

5-O Ocean Gray (US 06);

5-L Light Gray (US 03);

5-D Dark Gray (US 04);

Norfolk 65-A Antifouling Red (US 14);

Insignia Red ( ACUS 26).

Did I mention I know bugger all about boats?

(I'm waiting for someone to tell me it's a ship BTW, if you feel the need to do this, then you also need to tell me the definition, nobody has thus far been able to satisfactorily, including some master mariner friends who shall remain nameless :) )

Nick

Proper fotos time. There is a lot of PE in this kit. removing the moulded detail it replaces is in itself a major undertaking. A lot of the areas have raised borders that need retaining so very time consuming, see what I mean in the curved bit below ( I really must learn some nautical terms, I know what a Golden rivet is, but that's probably not helpful). I have been using a micro chisel and extra thin cement to try and level things out. for the floors of two main units I just went with thin plasticard.

8377188761_7180db83db_b.jpg

8377189783_cf94db91b5_b.jpg

Still got some ejector marks to deal with. Perhaps I'm being too picky, unless you lie on the floor, I guess you're never going to see underneath these things anyway and I have already dealt with the tallest ones that might just be visible.

Started one of the cranes. Beautiful little thing. This feels like making jewellery for some reason

8377193727_2208ca5445_b.jpg

Catapult is slightly smaller than my recent Arado 1/32 scale effort, very similar design though.

8378261126_82794d239f_b.jpg

Heres the other one

8378259194_9079e58361_b.jpg

I don't know if it's the unfamiliarity of not knowing what the hell I'm building, but I'm absolutely loving this kit!

Nick

Edited by nick

.Lifecolour do sets of US Naval colours if you want an easier route for acrylics.

I was hoping for an equivalence chart? I've already Got a full set of tamiya, Vallejo and most Humbrol so was hoping to not have to start another brand off! Hard to believe I don't have something already?

I've been toying with writing an app that takes colours from any source and gives you a mix using, say Tamiya for example, shouldn't be too difficult, not sure the demand is there versus my effort writing it, coupled with modellers notorious reluctance to pay for anything :)

Nick

£50!!!!!!!!!!! Why couldn't it have been meeee?

As for the paint, I have some pointers for you that might help:

5-D Dark Gray (US 04) approximately XF-54 Dark Sea Gray or XF-77 IJN Sasebo Gray

5-O Ocean Gray (US 06) approximately Tamiya XF-53 Medium Gray

5-L Light Gray (US 03) XF-19 Sky Gray with a dash of XF-2 white or XF-66 Light Gray.

Norfolk 65-A Antifouling Red (US 14) This is a bright red which roughly approximates insignia red with a bit of brown mixed in

Insignia Red ( ACUS 26) XF-7 Red

I'd normally say look at photos and eyeball the results as you see best, but the Arizona's colours are even more contentious than Mediterranean Spitfires, so whatever you do, no-one's going to argue!

Al

Decided to bite the bullet and get the WEM PE as well. OK and some brass props. and paint. and books. Did I say fifty quid at some point? a distant memory. Anyway, still loving this kit. Decided to make the crane stanchions (?) from ali rather than gluing two bits of plastic together and scraping moulded plastic ladders of them, also any excuse to use the lathe :).

8381690098_ac52c3330d_b.jpg

8380608689_c31826f7d4_b.jpg

oh look a plane! reminds me of Wonder Woman's for some reason.

8381691972_1e6960b4ea_b.jpg

Nick

Edited by nick
  • Like 2

As for the paint, I have some pointers for you that might help:

Thanks for the paint tips. I have ordered WEM stuff now as it happens.

Must admit did feel lucky for once picking this kit up.

Nick

Blimey Nick, that is fast work! Lovely scratchwork as well as the brasswork. Congratulation on the price too, I thought I had the deal of the year when I paid 135 for the new Tamya Yamato but you beat me flat.

Will enjoy watching this one! Jockster.

Gobsmacking ! great stuff please keep posting

The same person (Satan) has been with me lately when i have been in my local model shop, attending sales, and surfing the internet online model shops

He/she has a lot to answer for !

Spent the evening assembling 19 lovely little brass barrelled guns. I'll put some fotos up tomorrow.

Nick

Edited by nick

Dan, fair cop. been busy, no pictures yet, I'll get some up later - honest!

So progress:- All guns, lockers, vents and misc deck fittings built. Funnel complete, one tower complete, Hull joined, lots of sanding and all port holes drilled out. I'm just about to add the docking keels and stiffening strips along the torpedo bulges when I finish sanding and polishing the hull. Lots of effort and not much to see to be honest.

Stay tuned for fotos!

Nick

Here's the long promised fotos, doesn't look much when you see it like this. It's a big lad to join thoroughly, and the fit wasn't amazing so it required a fair bit of attention to get to this stage. Had to remove a bit of material to get the fit perfect, so I have a lot of scratches to remove as you can see, luckily no detail to lose though so no harm done.

Also I didn't want to risk damaging the portholes surrounds, so I drilled them all out by hand with a pin vice, which took a while in itself.

8396476252_8653b3cd2b_b.jpg

8396477244_7bae368054_b.jpg

8395393795_1867f2cffd_b.jpg

Here's the first tower:-

8395394459_2e5291c0f1_b.jpg

Funnel

8396480510_5d1dd14e25_b.jpg

Second Tower

8396481172_b89cc77438_b.jpg

Hey mister, you wanna buy some guns?

8396481890_2a792147b6_b.jpg

And that's about a week's work, right there. Somebody said it's like gluing legs on ants, which is about right

8396482748_fb9f56b283_b.jpg

Still lovin' it though.

Thanks for looking (now there's something to look at finally!)

Nick

Edited by nick
  • Like 2