Zvezda Tiger 1 Warning

bentwaters81tfw

• 2 weeks later...

It also goes to show that someone's experience of a rather poorly moulded early copy can be used to set the opinion of a whole community against it. How many Britmodellers will have seen this thread initially, been horrified by the scare-monger headline and initial comments, but haven't seen the comment from someone who actually has the kit, advising that it's actually OK?

That's how rumours become factoids, which in a small (ish) community like plastic modelling is, can seriously affect sales. :shrug:

It also goes to show that someone's experience of a rather poorly moulded early copy can be used to set the opinion of a whole community against it. How many Britmodellers will have seen this thread initially, been horrified by the scare-monger headline and initial comments, but haven't seen the comment from someone who actually has the kit, advising that it's actually OK?

That's how rumours become factoids, which in a small (ish) community like plastic modelling is, can seriously affect sales. :shrug:

Quite correct Mike,initial unfounded "bad" press can stop kits and other products very easily, leaving us with perfectly good stock that won't move,therefore slowing cash flow and leading to less new products on the shelves....so to all please check that you have not got a faulty kit as opposed to a bad kit,before shouting so loud ....

PS have got some,now, good Tiger kits on the shelves ...STILL...!!

Regards Trevor ...:D

• 2 weeks later...

I got one today as well, from Cosford.

I took some advice from a modeller who had a couple of Tigers on his display, set in diaorama settings. he was of the opinion that the Zvezda was every bit as good as any other 1/35 Tiger 1 out there. For £25 from Antics, I'm pleased with it.

I got mine at Cosford last Sunday. I love it, but then I am very biased because I think Zvezda make the best plastic out there.. the "actual" plastic they use is what I mean.

I was a little worried about buying this as i made the mistake of buying the T-90, but I couildn't resist when I saw it.

So, what's the experts final word on this.. is it accurate for an Early tiger?

I have the kit and its pretty good (Mr. Wolfpack was in agreement during a recent visit to my humble abode) and as regards 'hyperfail', no comment.

As for the interior, that isn't something I personally worry too much about unless its something like an open SP gun where you can see the gubbins. Black paint and a few crew figures go a long way :)

It looks good to me so much so I've gone and got one. It's the 'early' production model with the crinkley sides, but that's no big deal.

As for hypoidscale, I've found the opinions on BM to be far more helpful, much less critical of a kit, esp. from sprue shots and tend more to the 'what needs to be done to put it right' school, as opposed to the 'it's unbuildable' rabble.

W

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,
I have the kit and am 30 % done.
I also have the Tamiya late, the Academy mid, the AFV late and most of the Dragon offerings except for the Tunisian one. Tigeromania :blink:

I wanted to get back to that WOW felling I had as a kid - when you just opened up the box and bashed away.
Can't really see anyone doing that with the Dragon ones...

As for the quality of the kit my view is that it is inconsistent. Some detail such as the casting numbers on the track mounting brackets is excellent where as other parts are maybe overly simplified such as the commanders cupola.
But can I really complain that there is no photo etch or turned metal? At this price I would say no.

My main concern is that the turret roof protrudes the turret walls - much as you would expect from a late version where the roof thickness was improved from 25 to 40 mm but on the early and mid it should be flush.

DSC04112.jpg

This can be corrected by shimming the turret walls with stripes of Evergeen StripsStyrene, I have been using #129 .020x.250".

DSC04113.jpg

DSC04124.jpg

My first sample had a packing error that led to distortion of the upper hull, I have informed Zvezda about this issue.
My second sample (bargain deal at the LHS - £15) was OK with no problems.

Love the kit :thumbsup:

Very Best Regards
Johan

Edited by Johan

Re above link.

IMO it's far too clean, the photo shows the hull camo almost obscured. Nice of him NOT to include a photo of the model from the side of the actual shot.

Johan.

Would it not have been easier to sand the turret sides or roof so it would fit flush?

W

Hi Big W,

I guess a different approach could have done the job, this was how I did it.

The turret roof has slanted edges to allow Zvezda to reproduce the weld seam, I was worried that not enough material would be left for a good joint if I thinned the roof.
Trying to carve out the recess where the roof sits in the turret walls is not an option.
And by the way - the turret walls are a tad low compared to for instance the Dragon kit - not that I am a rivet counter or anything :winkgrin:
It is not perfect if you leave the mounting brackets on like with #114 since the brackets ride on the wall edge and elevate the roof slightly.
But it works out fine for #332 when the brackets should be shaved off.

Anyway - I am happy with the kit and will use it for my next attempt at S33 as well.

Bild101I-571-1721-29.jpg

VBR
Johan

Edited by Johan

Hi Big W,
I am sorry but not yet. I am 30% done with the first layer of DY on.
And back to the original question - is this kit buildable?
It sure is - and I think it fills a gap in the market place.
Excellent entry choice that can be turned into something spectacular without AM extras.
And herein lies the problem, the quality issues that have been reported must be addressed by Zvezda, you don't want to turn off a new modeler with a warped hull or sink marks in the front shield. Issues that can be fixed with a bit of experience but can be difficult if this is your first ever 1/35.
Maybe an announcement, new box-art and etched grills?
And the body of the turret MG?
Very Best Regards
Johan
Edited by Johan

This is my 30%.

DSC04335.jpg
DSC04338.jpg

Next step is a sand grey dust-coat on the undercarriage and an overall filter using Tamiya X-26 Clear Orange.

Then of to washes and filters.
Will post some progress pictures in the WIP section.

VBR
Johan

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks ta152e,
I have just been corrected on an other forum, the hoses to the Feifel Air Cleaners should not be rubber black, they where metal mesh and should be painted in the overall camo or just steel.

Best Regards
Johan