Tamiya 1:48 Beaufighter

Finally finished!

Started about ten years ago, abandoned in a wardrobe since until I discovered it a few months ago and decided to finish it off.

Learnt a great deal while working on the kit, including a few new techniques. Made a couple of mistakes [including melting some of the decals and putting the wingtip lights the wrong way around!], but I'm quite happy with it.

Once again thanks to Woody37 for providing me with some spare decals - without his help I wouldn't have been able to finish it!

Some pics:

f8_zpsca37e8fb.jpg

f7_zpscc1ff90c.jpg

f2_zpsb302fe7c.jpg

f3_zps3ba7a1a4.jpg

f4_zps8fc7f092.jpg

f10_zps34fbc317.jpg

f11_zps041549e8.jpg

f12_zpsd7e9d8ab.jpg

f9_zps631bf7d5.jpg

f13_zps0a4744a7.jpg

Thanks for looking

Matt

• Like 4

That's a really lovely model, excellent paint job ! 

Can I ask how you painted the exhausts & collector rings? They look just as I think they should, & you've got one of the most convincing finishes on them that I've seen.

Great job!

Keef

• Like 1

I have to agree on the beautiful paint job, but aren't the panel lines a little on the heavy side?

Not a criticism, but it's incredibly rare to see a real aircraft with such pronounced dark lines, but your photo references may prove me wrong!

Tom

• Like 1

Thank you for the positive comments!

That's a really lovely model, excellent paint job ! 

Can I ask how you painted the exhausts & collector rings? They look just as I think they should, & you've got one of the most convincing finishes on them that I've seen.

Great job!

Keef

Keef - the collector rings and exhausts were originally painted with Tamiya XF-28 Dark Copper. I then post shaded them with flat black, before repraying them with a thinned mixture of dark copper, flat black and red brown to give them a, hopefully, dirtier appearance.

I have to agree on the beautiful paint job, but aren't the panel lines a little on the heavy side?

Not a criticism, but it's incredibly rare to see a real aircraft with such pronounced dark lines, but your photo references may prove me wrong!

Tom

Tom - I agree that they are a bit heavy, and it's been said before, but I just really like them that way! I usually start with them much lighter but normally end up going darker because they just don't look 'right' to me otherwise! I guess it's just one of my 'modelling foibles'!

• Like 1

Keef - the collector rings and exhausts were originally painted with Tamiya XF-28 Dark Copper. I then post shaded them with flat black, before repraying them with a thinned mixture of dark copper, flat black and red brown to give them a, hopefully, dirtier appearance.

Thanks Matt, I shall be trying that on my next WW2 radials...!!

Keef

• Like 1

Thank you for the positive comments!

Tom - I agree that they are a bit heavy, and it's been said before, but I just really like them that way! I usually start with them much lighter but normally end up going darker because they just don't look 'right' to me otherwise! I guess it's just one of my 'modelling foibles'!

Fine by me! Each to their own as they say...

That's what's so great about this hobby of ours; the way each individual interprets the real thing. I guarantee if 20 of us were to build the same kit in the same colour scheme, each and every one would be completely different. 

It was interesting to read you tips on painting the cowl rings - they look fantastic and I'll be referring to that in the future I'm sure!

Tom

• Like 1