Hasegawa 1/72 F-15C

I have just been into the loft and fished out the kit that I am going to use on this GB. It has been in the loft for a while, and as it was one that I had won on eBay it came with a little extra in the shape of a Verlinden etch set for the exhausts. I will see how I get on with that later. The marking that I will use are from either Repli-Scale or Super Scale so that I can make an aircraft from either the 1st TFW or the 33rd TFW. I am not sure as to which individual aircraft at the moment, but I will decide soon. Sorry that there are no photos, I went to use my point and shoot camera, but it does not seem to want to take any photos, even with a change of batteries. Hopefully I will get this working as soon as possible.

Edited by Jabba

Thanks Dave.

I have taken some photos with SWMBOs camera and will upload them as soon as, depending on how photobucket is working. Anyhow I got started last night building up the cockpit and the electronic bay behind it. A quick question, does anyone know the colour of this bay and what Humbrol colour it roughly equates to? I know that Xtracolour do one, but I would rather not use their paint at the moment.

Thanks for that, although the colour I am using does not quite match the colour in the equipment bay it will do for government work. I don't suppose that anyone will look too hard in there after some weathering and the canopy is fitted.

As I mentioned beforehand, after messing about with Photobucket here are some photos of this project.

F-15CEagle001.jpg

F-15CEagle002.jpg

F-15CEagle003.jpg

F-15CEagle003.jpg

Above are some pictures of the kit, decal sheets and some reference material. Since starting I have built up the cockpit and equipment bay plus the wings. I have also removed the ailerons from each wing so that they can be posed drooped on the final model. Hopefully I shall have more updates soon.

Edited by Jabba

Here is a quick update as to what I have been doing. The cockpit has been built up fitted to a Fwd fuselage half, which in turn have been glued together. I have also glued the wing halves together and also removed the ailerons from them so that they can be repositioned at a later date. I have also painted and fitted the intake parts to their relevant fuselage half. Hopefully I shall have most of this put together this week. Any comment are gratefully welcome.

F-15CEagle005.jpg

F-15CEagle006.jpg

F-15CEagle007.jpg

Edited by Jabba

• 2 weeks later...

The fuselage halves are together after a bit of chopping and cutting around the intake areas to get them to sit better. The cockpit section has also been fitted to the rest of the fuselage, along with the wings after yet more cutting of plastic to get them to sit without too much of a gap on the upper surfaces. All this has been filled and sanded along the way. I will shortly be adding the tails after displacing one of the rudders. Hopefully I will have some photos of this progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a quick outdated update of where I am with this project. The fuselage and wings have been added and a lot of sanding has been carried out. Since these photos have been taken the fins, airbrake, Fwd main U/C doors and wing pylons have been added. I also had a slight accident with one of the fins when sanding its joint line when I knocked off the top of fin balance weight. Luckily as this was the thinner one of the two there is a spare fin in the kit, so I removed it from that and added it to this model. Hopefully I will have some more up to date photos soon.

Also having looked at the Verlinden exhuast instructions, I have decided to go with the kit ones, but using some of the detail parts from the Verlinden stuff.

F-15CEagle008_zps81a7fabe.jpg

F-15CEagle009_zps8f6748c7.jpg

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

This model is now roughly altogether, as I have now added the U/C so that it can stand on its own three legs whilst I am painting it. I only really have to add the ailerons and then I can start the painting process. Hopefully I will have photos in the coming week.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just had a little disaster, but nothing that can't be fixed. I had applied the first coat of light ghost grey to the model on Wednesday, and after a bad night modelling on Thursday decided to apply the second coat, which went alright. So last night I came to apply the first coat of dark ghost grey, when after a few brush stroke I could not see what I had just painted. I was totally bemused, looking at both bottles of paint that I had, and seeing that they were both different. Then I decided to paint one of the tailplanes in the darker colour, as I had only applied one coat of light to these, and low and behold all became clear. As many of you may have guessed, in my haste to get the second coat of light ghost grey applied I actually picked up the bottle of dark and applied that. So now I will start the painting all again with the light ghost grey.

So the moral of this story is, if you have had a bad night modelling stop, do not try and achieve something as you have 15 minutes to spare. Also look at the labels that are on the paint bottle so that you actually use the correct one that you want.

Yes I know that I have promised pictures. These are loaded onto my computer, I just need some time with photobucket to get them onto here, which I never seem to get. But they will come.

I am now getting a little confused with my paints. Last night I painted the whole aircraft in the lighter colour apart from the nose cone as this was supposed to have been painted the other night in the darker shade and that would be its final colour. Now I was hoping to see some sort of differation between the nose and the rest of the aircraft, but there was none. I am now thinking that I did perhaps paint the aircraft the other night in the lighter shade. But then I am sure that I did pick up the darker bottle on Saturday night. I do know that although the two shades are pretty close in colour, but I did see a difference when I painted one of the tailplanes, and it was a big difference. Still I shall carry on and see what happens tonight, when I try again with the darker shade.

I think that I am now over my paint problem. Last night I painted a small patch of the darker grey on one of the tailplanes and watched it disappear into the background. So I got out my faithful Humbrol conversion leaflet, found the paint number that I wanted and to my surprise found a useable tin in the paintbox. This was then applied and hey presto I could actually see where I have painted this colour and it is not that much darker than the lighter grey, so I think that it was a right result. Now to paint the rest of this darker grey as i only had a small amount of time last night.

After the trials and tribulations of the colours for painting last weekend, I have now got the model painted and will be applying a few coats of Klear over this weekend so that it is ready for decaling. I have also been doing some work on the engines, by the way of the etch brass from the Verlinden update. I am finding it quite fiddly, but I am persevering on with it taking it a little on the slow side. Hopefully in the coming week I will also be making up the weapons that will be carried along with the fuel tanks. Any comment are very welcome.

F-15CEagle012_zpsd3eb0383.jpg

F-15CEagle013_zps0ec37ec3.jpg

F-15CEagle014_zps40df0bbe.jpg

Edited by Jabba

Over the past week I have added the larger decals to the model. This was done with the decal coming from either the Repliscale or Superscale decal sheets that I had, depending upon which sheet had what I thought was the better decal. The only real problem that I had was that the black band with the eagle head on the inside of each tail fin was too small, but luckily the sheet had extras so I just cut a lump of black off one of these and added it to the one applied to the kit. I have also completed the etch brass on one of the engines, hopefully the other will follow in the coming week. I shall also be appling the stencilling to the model which will be coming from the kit decal sheet. Any comments are welcome.

F-15CEagle015_zps44a633dc.jpg

F-15CEagle016_zps008c1443.jpg

F-15CEagle017_zpse6ae2399.jpg

Edited by Jabba

I started to apply the stencelling decals last night, but before I did I had a proper look at the kits decal sheet. I am not sure if I am correct but to my surprize I found that there were colour markings in these stencils, where as I thought that the only colour should be black. Knowing that I had a more recent offering of this kit with a more up to date decal sheet in the loft I went up there and got it down. When I looked at the decal sheet I found that the quailty is much better I still found colour in the stencilling. Am I correct in thinking that these stencils should be all black, as from what I can see on photos in the books that I have they should be, or should there be some coloured ones as per the kit decal sheet?

The only area of the aircraft that I do not really have good photos of is the underneath, which the place where most of these colour stencils are placed. Another question that I have is does the F-15C have all the "no step" markings that are shown on the kit instruction sheet? This is because I cannot see them on photos in books that I have.

Any help will be really welcome.