TAMIYA 1/12TH SUZUKI KATANA GSX 1100

D1fuN0

Helloooooooooo.....

Well, here we go then.

THREEKATANAS_zps8da9af84.png

I still have three Katana's, the 750, 1100 and the 'New' Katana, which looks a bit, well, quite frankly naff!. Tamiya also does a custom tuned 1100, and thats built already.

Im not going to build the New Katana, so heres the other two's oblig box shot..

Firstly the 1100...

GSX1100_zps393b7820.jpg

and the 750

GSX750_zps464b7802.jpg

I think at this point in time, im only going to build the 1100, as the 750 is pretty rare and not that easy to come by...

so, stayed tuned, clean up the desk and ashtray, get more coffee and off we go...

Steve

Right you lot....

A lazy summers afternoon in Johannesburg fartin about with a Katana...

Ok, well,starting with paint choices. Five!, Yup, five types of Silver (ish) paint.(Arrrrrrrrg me lad.. Silver!)

paint_zps84e095ef.jpg

AS 12,Bare Metal Skin for the Frame, TS 76 Mica Silver for the bodywork etc, and Chrome Silver, Flat Aluminium and Titanium Silver for the other bits.

Tamiya Fine Undercoat will be used throughout, but especially for the grey section on the seat, its almost the perfect colour.

Im building straight out the box, with poss one or two refinements as we go along 

Right, following the instructions, the engine is first

engine_zps68b95e53.jpg

and painted with Flat Aluminium

engine2_zpscefec138.jpg

No real issues here, few mouldlines to get rid of, but with as usual with Tamiya kits, everything went together well. Engine will be weathered once all the bits are on.

While the engine was drying, I started getting some paint on the rest of the bits...

Frame: surprisingly for Tamiya, there was a lot of clean up.

I sprayed it with AS-12 Bare Metal, which I think gives a better look than Gloss Aluminium. Once its dry, ill spray a clear coat over it. My humble opinion, it just gives a better finish than Gloss Aluminium.

frame_zps2ff3a974.jpg

My ultra sophisticated paint drying area...(no cost spared... :analintruder: )

paintarea2_zps33652cf6.jpg

Tail lights and indicators, sprayed with Clear Red and Orange. These Sprays are a must, because you just cannot get the colours right with wet sticks, and for a better finish, spray both inner and outer surfaces, not just the inside as the Instructions suggest.

lenses_zps306ce9a2.jpg

and finally the wheels...

wheels_zpsc3706526.jpg

The instructions call for Mettalic Grey for the wheels, but I feel that the colour is too dark, bit too aggresive on this scale, so instead I used IJN Grey(TS 67). The contrast between the grey and silver shouldnt be too evident, so once the grey is finished off with a clear coat, should be just spot on, but maksing off those wheels to do the silver is going to be fun.

Howdy.

Bit more of an update on the engine.

ENGINE3_zps467c6373.jpg

Pretty simple engine, went together well and almost finished now, save for a final quick drybrush. Not really any mods on the engine, left it as is, although I did build a throttle bar on the carbs (sorry, my camera seems to have auto focus problems) but you get the general idea.

THROTTLEBAR_zps3d7e3d3c.jpg

So basically now, waiting for the wash to dry completely before the final drybrush to blend in the wash.

Righto, more later, enjoy your Sunday.

Steve

Hey Colin...

Yeah, soooo nice down by the coast, but its bloomin hot here, 28 degs again today.

Shame, all the bods in the UK must be freezin there butts off. Hehe

Hey, this Katana is a first, some real fit issues. After a couple dozen Tamiya bikes, this is the first one with real fit issues, gotta get out the putty for the gazoom pipes, they are a bit wonky...

Already mate, cheers for now.

Steve

Nice idea with the red and orange clear sprays, must try that with mine - Your build is coming along nicely

Wayne

Hey Wayne

The Clear sprays are definately worth it, especially when you consider how long they will last just spraying indicators and tail lights. The Blue and Green are also quite cool and the Smoke is a definate for tinted windscreens, (but only applied in very very light coats)

Will have some more pics this weekend, engine mounted into the frame, exhausts, and making a start on the body work.

Cheers

Steve

Nice progress Steve, looking forward to the pics. Not tried the Clear cloured aerosolds, still plying my way through the bottles I bought when they first came out!!!

Colin

Nice progress Steve, looking forward to the pics. Not tried the Clear cloured aerosolds, still plying my way through the bottles I bought when they first came out!!!

Colin

Good god colin, they came out in like 1593... wow, thats economical usage :analintruder:

Hey Chaps

Bit of an update

Engine and frame are together, no issues at all, fitted together perfectly.

FRAME2_zps894610fd.jpg

FRAME1_zps4583dcbc.jpg

Thats were the perfect fitting ended.

This is the 38th Tamiya bike that Ive built, and I really havent had an fit issue with any of them, but this one seems to have suffered a bit. The exhaust fit is really not very good. Ive been fiddling with it for a couple days now, and today Ive decided its going into the spares box.

So, I have pulled the 4 into 1 off my 1100SE, im going to strip that and use it instead.

4INTO1_zps97304aed.jpg

While I was at it, i pulled of the KYB shocks, from the same model and will use them instead of the horrible kit supplied plated bits. (you can see why).

NEWSHOCKS_zps48aacd27.jpg

Ok, well the swingarm and tank bits are on the drying rack, and the NR beckons...  :analintruder:

Later

Steve

Riotous greetings and salutations from a wet Johannesburg. :winkgrin:

Ok, picking up from yesterday...

The new 4 into 1 has been stripped and resprayed with SGB, followed by Clear.

SAM_0175_zps46765b12.jpg

and the gazoom strap done in Bare Metal Foil.

SAM_0180_zps81dd96f0.jpg

Tank and side covers sprayed decaled and cleared and fitted...

SAM_0173_zpsafcda3a6.jpg

SAM_0174_zps6d35336e.jpg

And finally

its aliiiiiiiiiiive......

Dry fitted the swing arm unit and exhaust.

SAM_0183_zps937aa45b.jpg

SAM_0181_zps00fa3c09.jpg

SAM_0182_zps9b204752.jpg

You may notice the wheels have been resprayed black, just like the look of them that way.

I drilled out the disc brakes, (now theres an hour of my life ill never get back) and still have a few more touch ups to do on the swing arm.

There wont be any CF on the exhaust pipe, because when the Katana came out, CF was only being used on the space shuttle :analintruder:  I know the custom tuned SE had a CF shroud, but that was a bit later on, and I want to keep this one as close to original issue as possible. 

Ok then, everything needs to dry off a bit and have a rest, more later....

Hoooooooowdy folks

Only a wee update.

My Katana commited suicide, and 'jumped' off the desk...

Broke the front fairing and the exhaust, but all fixed up now.

KATANA_zpseac61114.jpg

KATANA2_zps45c9643c.jpg

Basically just the front end to finish off now. Im busy detailing up the handlebars and front shocks at the mo...

More later.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy chaps :bye:

Not much going on in the Katana front, as the forks have been stripped, repainted and BMF'd.

Ive finished the handlebars...

SAM_0224.jpg

and any clue what this is going to be...

SAM_0223.jpg

huh huh?

its for the tax disc :analintruder:

a disc of clear plastic, black bmf on the back, with a ring of plastic card painted black, stuck on the other side, viola, a tax disc holder ....

ok, more later.

Steve

This is pretty damn cool - the pics of the frame with engine etc. mounted look like a real one! Love all the different sheens on it.

Is the metal flake in the airframe silver paint fine? Most of the Tamiya metallics I've tried, apart from the newer Titanium colours, seem to have quite a coarse flake.

Will

... Its Finished :yahoo:

But you're going to have to wait till the weekend to see it. :analintruder:

I must say, this is the first Tamiya bike that I've had fit problems with, namely the exhaust and the front forks / mudguard bits.

This is the later repop of the original kit, so maybe its just age.

If you like the early superbikes, then this is definately one for you.

Finished pics will be posted at the weekend...

Steve