A TIGER ONE for christmas with all the trimmings.

eagle

I boxed up the tiger and sealed the holes and had a bit of play with the paints again ,bit better this time and Im getting to like the paints .

With something like this the 6 varietes come in handy to have a choice from.

My biggest problem is I put down the airbrush and forget all about it and then when I come to use it again the paint is like concrete and I have to spend half houir cleaning it.

Also some of the etch is so delecate that ive taken them off and used the plastic.

Like the side gaurds.

P1140471_zps7d062833.jpg

Edited by eagle

I followed the instructions on the box of the Vellajo paints and i went through all the colours until the last one which is a light grey blue.I kind of sprayed lightly with each coat and colour so that the undercoat shows through a little bit ,the darker at the bottom the lighter at the top.The box set comes with a bottle of satin varnish which has been applied to see what its like.Its all in drying mode at the moment.

Im trying to decide what to do about a wash ,that is pin wash or all over.The propriety bottle of wash I had seems to have curdled its all bitty.

So I may try an oil wash .using the pin method as i find me doing a wash dont always look good in places.

I am happy with the colour as it it which is very light grey blue.(I wanted to be as different from the next as I could be).

I may have to select another tank from my scrap yard and spray it the same colour and try out the weathering before i take the plunge.

I am not so sure the varnish provided in the box set is good enough and may have to spray with pledge and wait for it to dry.

Could do some figure work whilst i wait and think . :mental:

P1140478_zps6d3f949c.jpg

Well I had ago for the first time using oil paints and thinner. I gave the tiger 2 coats of humbrol clear ,gave it 24 hours to dry then applied the wash. It appears that in parts it has broken thru the gloss and attached itself to the paint underneath .

Im not sure I like it .Ive tried a few washes with thinner only but it dosnt make any improvement.

I may be looking at a complete respray here.

Its dangerously close to being binned.

P1140484_zpsf2820241.jpg

Came up with the idea to put on a coat of burnt umber wash to see what it would be like .

It does tone down the black wash quite a bit.

I think I will let it dry over night and then see if I can polish it back to a nice blue.

And hopefully the washes will have done their job .

Too be honest im not a great lover of washes, Mainly because I cant do it good enough.

But then if you don't try.........

P1140488_zpsbba487da.jpg

robw

dads203

anglosaxon

Thanks for the encouragement much appreciated.

I still have a lot to do so I may revisit the overall colour later..I may try some of the filters that are available. Just to try the filters.

Ive watched a number of videos on Utube now and have confirmed that the white spirit does eat into the gloss coats .so you have to be a bit delicate in applying washes with it.

That looks nice. the only suggestion (which is probably a bit late now) would be to cut the plastic side skirts into individual pieces and attach them that way. Not so uniform and give a bit of a dinged look.

Have you tried the Humbrol weathering powders? I watched the vids on you tube and was so impressed, I bought some. They seem to work as advertised and they're less that half price of MIG and others. Mixed with matt coate and thinners, gives a lees powerful medium to apply to the model, so it's harder to eat into your paintwork.

Tested on this Tiger:

DSCF3100_zpsb081c8c6.jpg

W

Edited by Wolfpack

BIg W

I had etch sides skirts but they were so delicate it was oh so easy to knock them off so I reverted to the plastic ones.

It is always my intention to build models to show room condition I never deal with mud and wear. I just leave that to the people who know what there doing.

I have gone to far with the experimentation with this that and the other .there are 3 shades of grey under that lot .

I'm not sure if the filter adds to it or not its finish is a light sheen ,in the Vallejo paint set it has a bottle of satin varnish so I guess that's the desired finish .

My mistake was not to put 2 coats of Klear on and then I might have got the finish I was after ,now its a lot of black has broken thru

and i'm not so sure I like it.

I'm concentrating on the iddy biddy little bits at the mo so I can reflect and maybe get a flash of inspiration about the finish maybe more coats of ochre to tone down the blackness .

I still h ave about a hundred pieces to add yet and then some.

mmmmmmm

The more I play and the more I try and the more I look all I can think of is re spray

P1140542_zps32f8f7f8.jpg

Photobucket has gone mental

Edited by eagle

The good thing about the Humbrol powders, is that they work on a matt finish. If you're not happy with the way it looks, a re-paint is an option. I would try a mist of panzer grey first, to tone the sheen down. If you don't like it, then go the whole way. Another alternative, would be to matt the model, get rid of the sheen, though I'd wait untill the decals are on before doing that.

It's a learning curve after all, albeit an expensive one.

W

Yes that was going to be my next move was to apply a coat of matt varnish to see what effect it may have.

If that dosnt please me i may look to apply some dirt.as said not what i set out to do.

There is stillplenty of paint left in the vallejo set so I well go for another spray as uts unlikely I will be doing any german kits for some time.other goodies are beckoning.

well There it is all matted out and a bit more dirt

And I don't like it one little bit

IF it aint broke don't fix it

and ive tried to fix it 4 times now

yuck yuck yuck yuck P1140551_zps3c0f21f0.jpg

Edited by eagle

Actually, that's not looking too bad now. Some highlights with a lighter grey to reduce the dirt effect and then a mist of dark earth and buff to give it that dusty look and I reckon you'll be there.

W

If I were you Mr Eagle, I would put myself in this frame of mind... Ok, I hate it, so I have nothing to lose!! I can strip the whole model with spray bathroom cleaner, but first, I'm going to practise my post fading skills.

If you take some panzer grey in your Airbrush, and thin it heavily, paint in between the panels without going over the edge.

Now, add a drop of white to this and do the same again, but in a smaller area within the patch you've just laid down. Keep repeating this until you are happy with the result. I think your filter will work really well after this. I've done this on a german Half Track, using the AK blue filter and it looked great. (Unfortunately I dropped the model whilst putting it on the top shelf of my cabinet, it fell about 6 feet to the ground and became a kit again, on it's own)

Having just re-read your issues, I would like to make one suggestion.. For a protective coat pre-wash, use Tamiya clear gloss. If left for 24 hours, it'll be glass hard and impregnable. I also wonder if you're thinning your paints enough? I can't make out if the photo's are grainy, or is the paint a little speckly? I only mention this, as a dry speckly finish will be quite porous and absorb whatever gloss coat you lay on, rather than allow the gloss coat to klay on top and form a "skin" over it.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm critisizing, but I'm just trying to help from a distance.

Just my 2p

Nige

Edited by nigelr32

Big W

Nigel 32

Thanks for your words of wisdom and encouragement. All comments are welcome.

The jury is still out

There is actually a light grey in the Vellajo paint set .

It looks really nice to me. I used to build tanks a long time ago and now, every time i watch a panzer building thread, i think that i never did a good job. My tanks look like a beginner's job, although i joinned the hobby in 1994.

All these filters, rusts etc seem to me unfamiliar. So, keep going on testing and i'm sure the resul willsatisfy you (and all of us)! :)

Yannis

Ok an update

I have attempted a respray and it is unacceptable to me that is..

So i am considering a strip down.

I understand oven cleaner is suitable

Has any body actually done it?

Does any plastic get eaten

Will the etch stay ?

Thanks

Hi Matey,

If I were you I would try a sample of your etch "sprue" in some oven cleaner first. I believe it attacks non-ferrous metals?

I have used it loads of time to remove paint and chrome, and have never suffered any bad experiences. I'm not sure how you'll stop it getting inside though??

You might want to try some kitchen cleaner first??

Nige

NIge

thanks for that however there has been a stay of execution and 11th hour coo .

I just gave it a tad more spray and a watered down lighter grey spray and 3 coats of klear and here is the result.

im going to wait 24 hours then give it a wash .

photobucket is bringing in more text than usual so I deleted everything outside of

Edited by eagle