A TIGER ONE for christmas with all the trimmings.

eagle

VOT!!! :bounce::banghead::doh:

Well dosnt that just demostrate just how dificult modeling can be .I had it in my head that red oxide was the way without giving it a second thought ,primarily forgetting that this old tiger is an earlier one. :clif:

Thanks for the link "BIG W" :thumbsup: ive had a qiuck look through and notice that there dosnt apper to be a solid colour scheme ,there would appear to be alternatives.So I may well adapt to those alternatives and maybe I will just over spray the red with Light grey.

I also know that the interior should be cream rather than white ,I knew that ,I just thought white would be better to see inside.

But it does make it look stark :yikes:

But I may well change that now :hmmm:

Dont tell you know who :fuhrer:

Great work! that must of been a couple of marathon airbrush sessions. Re your problems with the vallejo paints, I find they are extremely sensitive to how they are thinned. If they are not thinned correctly they dry out too quickly and clog your airbrush. What thinner are you using? I heavily thin them and spray it on in thin coats to slowly build up the colour. It is more time consuming but the overall finish is good. Then again, tamiya with some thinner throw in is certainly just as good and a quicker way to go!

Just one other thing. It looks like you have missed a couple of parts on the main gun. Where the larger rear section meets the thinner forward section there should be an extra part there. Also there should be a small part that sits behind the muzzle brake. In the picture below, it is the part below the forward part of the muzzle brake and the part just below the barrel to the right. You will need to remove the muzzle brake to fit these if you still have them. It's not the same barrel you have but they are all very similar.

Sorry to sound like i'm picking again! Keep up the good work, it's really starting to come together :)

rb-model-1-35-88cm-kwk-36-l-56-tiger-i-e

W

ok i have just waded through oodles of info about the colours of the interiors of tiger 1's. :mental:

My conclusion is that its a minefield and the more you read the more confused it becomes and depends upon a lot of variables

such as when it was built and who by and was it built on a friday.(Cortina sydrome)

So on the info I now have I have made this conclusion. I have a paint scheme .(thats the importanat part) :thumbsup: .

The red oxide is not wasted it can be used in parts as i understandf it the order was to over paint all the red oxide. The entire obove floor plates will be a like duck egg colour but not duck egg. :shrug:

The floor plates will be grey/blue.

The engine bay wil be grey blue.

Obviously that will change by the time i get there. :thumbsup:

Talk about pimp my ride.

Matt 182

your right I have left off some things off the gun :banghead:

The paints i was using vallejo thinner obviuosly not in the right quantities ,i will have another go.

(coincidently your text is very very small) :yikes:

Edited by eagle

Not entierly sure what happened to the text size there!

Which vallejo thinner do you have as they have a few different products. If it's the little bottles with the white-ish looking thinner, bin it, it is useless for airbrushing (decent for brush painting though). I think they released a new dedicated airbrush thinner not that long ago. I've actually been using their airbrush cleaner product. It works very well for thinning their paints and it seems to have no affect on the paint. I think their airbrush thinner is made up of a very simillar formula.

Hope you can find something that works for you :)

I always use this guide when referring to German interior colours: http://byrden.com/panzers/Colours/

Depending on which source you read, there seems to be a mention of either a 'blue-grey' or 'grey-green' colour for the lower interior hull on early Tigers. David Byrden in fact calls the colour blue-grey on some threads and grey-green on others. As far as I can tell, these appear to be the same colour which is RAL7009.

Also, from David's site is this picture which shows the areas of the interior hull painting on a later Tiger:

ColoursInside1.png

Obviously, the red areas would actually be blue-grey (or grey-green) on the early Tiger.

Mike.

P1140396_zps6a3f1963.jpg

Matt .......duly binned

Saxon

Thanks fo rthe link.

From what i read this morning the very early ones had the red oxide over painted with Blue?Grey?.

I shall use a combo of red and blue and light blue for the upper.

What ever you read there is a contradiction making it highly confusing which has made me settle for a solution so I can get on.

nice work... yes it seems german interiors are prone to variance.. my Pz1a is going to be black-grey floor and transmission and then sides and bulkheads cream (vallejo buff with white)... all over red/brown primer.....

Robw

your right the more you read the more variants and confused you become.

Too many experts and not enough proof.

In a moments madness I read that a light blue colour was used so I experimented with a colour that looked close

but then you have variations in photos,computer screens ,shades chromotography,etc ,etc.

Still it was a usefull exercise as I dont like it and will change it for a cream colour .

(to much like West Ham colours)

Incidentaly the instructions that came with the kit say just" light interior"

P1140401_zps034ff252.jpg

Edited by eagle

Saxon

that link under Tiger goes back to the one Wolfpack put up.

Yeah, that is David Byrden's website. The link above it about the panzer colours was also by David, he is generally acknowledged as one of today's foremost experts on the Tiger 1.

Mike.

Saxon

yes thanks for that .I may get the wife to print it out in part so I can read it in comfort .I tend to skip read too much on the computer screen.

So following the guide lines using the Panzer Colours by David Byrden (thanks by the way ).

From what I can extract is the early tiger inside were painted in a russian blue .

(Apparently Humbrol 115 is a good match ,only its discontinued)

So not willing to wait I knocked up my own variation of russian blue.

It would also seem that the whole of the inside was first painted red oxide a general rule of thumb.The paint was applied very thinly and the red would show through

.in some parts like the parts you wont see i have don that however

I have sprayed the engine bay ,the floor just above the suspension rods and the engine bay roof.

Thelight blue areas blue will be over sprayed with a cream colour.

P1140412_zps4134423c.jpg

Hi eagle,

Going to be a pain and say that the grey-blue needs to come level with where the sponsons begin, just above the floor ammunition lockers. The floor of the sponson is the cream/ivory/elfenbein (take your pick for the name) colour though, if you see what I mean.

Once that's done and the light blue is overpainted should look spot on :thumbsup2:

Mike.

AngloSaxon

yes i did realise that after re reading the notes and it is now done as well as the divider for the engine bay.

Wading through the mountain of paperwork i have accrued i came across some usefull pictures in an osprey book.

Didnt know I had it until I looked.

At the mo I find it hard to believe that the driver and the radio operator area also wasnt ivory,I cant find anything or other models to suggest it was.

More reading

Progress today is to cream out the blue .Must leave it now for 24 hours let the paint go hard.

Im going to leave the floor paltes in red to give a bit of contrast.

P1140413_zps1f2725af.jpg

I revisted the Vallejo paints again and this time with 053,I used airbrush cleaner and not water to thin it with, 10 drops of paint and 3 drops of thinner mixed and it came out perfectly.Up and down about three coats .

I also used for the very first time Humbrol Clear gloss insteadd of Klear floor polish and the coverage was great.I thnk im a convert , again 3 coats applied and thsi is the result ..............

P1140424_zps3a72a842.jpg

Tiger 1's are the Daddy(I would say though,I have a 1/16th RC one :winkgrin: ).

This looks brilliant,a hell of a lot of work gone in here.

Do those lovely tracks muddy but not rusty though.

German tracks don't rust,they have a high zinc content in the metal.

Credible creations,there would seem to be a crossover of information regaurding the Tiger 1 tank.And it just seems the more I read the more confused I become with what colour this is and what colour that is.

So its here we develop artistic license and make it up to suit.So a deviation from the reality may be a small consideration now.So that advancement can occur.

It is a bold statement but it would seem as far as I have gone that I have followed closley the actual colours of the very first Tiger 1 Tanks out of the factory.

There are many Tiger 1's but this is my tiger 1.

Miggers

Thanks for that, but the colour is temporary.

P1140431_zpsd264f5ca.jpg

Edited by eagle

German tracks don't rust,they have a high zinc content in the metal.

I wouldn't say that they don't rust, just that they are less prone to rust. I also believe that the tracks were an alloy with a high percentage of Manganese, but also containing nickel and molybdenum. Not sure about the Zinc though. I'm no metallurgist and can only say what I have read on various forums about the composition so, of course, I might be wrong. I can say one thing for sure, I have seen evidence of rust on German tank tracks, there's plenty at Bovington!

Mike.

Foxy

the figures will have to be reviisited as they dont fit ,the driver and radio operator must have had thier knees up to thier chest to get a bum on a seat.

Miggers

Rusty ,dusty and shiny.

Anglosaxon

I did take some close ups and when i saw them i thought, oh no .

So I will have to revisit a few things to straighten out a few things.

Amazing what a photo shows up.

Thanks for your interests.

Edited by eagle