A TIGER ONE for christmas with all the trimmings.

eagle

At last we have clearance to begin the long haul of putting together a Tiger one.

The reason for the Tiger one is that ive never actually built one.

I have collected a number of add ons to go with it ,with yet more to come.

I have no way of knowing how many peices there are now but it quite a few ,my intention is to try to use all the etch like the little handles if I can.

The cost total so far is around about £95.

All add ons obtained from the loverly EBAY.

We begin................

P1140182_zps215e917a.jpg

Edited by eagle

The firulmodel tracks require that a 0.5mm is used to clean out the holes partially in one line and all the way through on the other .

Each peice of track has 2 hole lines and there are 110 track pieces each side.

A good 2 hrs drilling by hand to drill 220 holes.Using and electric drill would be risky as you may go all the way through on one line which is not required.

The joining of 2 track pieces is surprisingly easy and a 0.4 rod 18 mm long is inserted down the line up of holes and superglued in place.

Then you have to do it all over agian and do the other side once the hand cramps have healed.

P1140199_zpsad28125f.jpg

Edited by eagle

Ah, fruils.. Love them.. Hate the tedium involved though..

If I recall correctly there's an issue with the height of the transmission not allowing the thing to close up properly (by as little as 0.5mm apparently..), as well as the ammo racks need to be four rounds deep, not three (that is, if you're so inclined to fix that with a bit of scratch building, or are just happy with it as is..)..

Looking forward to seeing this thing develop!

Ah, fruils.. Love them.. Hate the tedium involved though..

If I recall correctly there's an issue with the height of the transmission not allowing the thing to close up properly (by as little as 0.5mm apparently..), as well as the ammo racks need to be four rounds deep, not three (that is, if you're so inclined to fix that with a bit of scratch building, or are just happy with it as is..)..

Looking forward to seeing this thing develop!

Robw,Storm.Micheal

Thanks for the interest . :winkgrin:

Yes a tedious job but a few hours drilling ,holding cleaning  flash .and cutting wires and threading and glueing and hopefully i will get there.

I shall look into what you are saying here and see what can be done.Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

My biggest problem is the finish .to me its all been done before and the colour schemes are the same old same old .

So Im thinking about something entirely different .if I can conjure up something :mental:

Edited by eagle

For the last set of fruils I did I used dress making pins (you know.. The kind the dry cleaners leave in your clothing so they stab you in the nipple?) Clipped them to length and hey presto, track pin with heads..

Hi thanks for your input however Ive never been into dress making,but a neat idea ,For this build  i will continue with the bog standard method .

However thinking about it I just trawled through 200 odd pics of tigers and as far as I can see no one as done what iI think I will do as the finish on the outside.,time will tell. Its a plan.long way to go yet.

Hi everybody

I have now assembled the tracks ,The tracks came in 2 packets ,suggesting that there is left and right tracks.When you compare them there is no difference.

The instruction suggest there is left and right but dosnt say how.

The difference is in the way the tracks are fixed to the tank .

Can anybody provide a diffinitive photo so I can put them on the right way round.

Thanks in anticipation

Hi Eagle

I have just made the same tracks, if you look at the tracks you will see there is a bigger margin on one side, your photo has a piece of wire on that area, the bigger margin is the outer of the track, the running gear will sit then in the groves on the other side.

take a look at my photos, let me know if you need anything else.

Mike

There is no dicrepancy as to how the track is fitted to the wheels ,Thats a given ,That is the driled holes with the wire in face the tank both sides.And the feathered edge is outwards.

However to do that the tracks have to be running in a differentt directions depending on which side they are fitted .

If you look there is a distint arrow of each individual link .

Depending on which side they are fitted one will run forward the other will run backwards.

Which side has the forward arrow?

Both sets run the same way, the arrows going forward

Not unless you have a left hand and a right hand track piece .

Apparently for a short time during ww2 there were such things and the tracks were LH and RH.

If you look at the photo (not very good I agree ) they are laid out as would be fitted  the right hand is pointing up and the left hand is pointing down .

Therefore the right hand track will run forward with the arrow running forward.(the arrow being percieved in the shape of the link)

And the left one will run forward with the arrow facing backwards.

It does that becuse the track is rotated through 180 degrees when fitted on the opposite side.

Edited by eagle

I'm looking forward to seeing this one when built. I built the Tamiya Tiger 1 a couple of years ago and used Friul tracks, and in my opinion they are an essential, as they add so much more to the model and have that nice "Sag" and weight. If you can get hold of  "The Modeler's Guide To The Tiger Tank " by Patrick Stansell you'll find it invaluable, with loads of info and drawings showing the many sub variants of the Tiger. HTH  :cheers:

Hi just had  aquick wizz around the world wide web looking for your suggestion The Modeler's Guide To The Tiger Tank " by Patrick Stansell and I could see the price for it was anything from £25 to £60.

Hi eagle,

Yes, that book is a bit expensive, but if you're thinking of building more than one tiger it's worth getting. On the other hand if you are only building one then it's probably not worth the outlay.

I managed to get a copy at quite a reasonable price a couple of years ago, so if there's any particular detail you're after then PM me and I'll see what I can do.   :cheers: