CMR 'Prop' Provost

marty_hopkirk

Here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234929218&hl=provost

Still waiting a 1/48th kit of this bird.

Rumors by Heritage Aviation and A2Zee...

V.P.

Yes, I know. But, given how many times it crops up on folks wants list I'm just surprised how little discussion there has been. I believe it was Heritage Aviation that was rumoured to be producing it in quarter scale. Agreeed that would be neat.

CMR kits do appear expensive, but they are uber high quality and one gets a lot for a 1/72 kit and they routinely sell out. So I suggest they know their market.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

I had the Provost for Xmas (along with the Jet Provost) and I have to say that each release just gets better and better. The piston Provost is CMR's best kit so far. The levels of detail and fit (after a 2 minute clean up) surpass that of their recent Sea Venom which says a lot in  my books.

Once I have finished the 3x Scimitar build I will be posting WIP of the Provost. 

Regards,

• Like 1

One small point regarding this excellent kit is that the 'advisers' got it wrong with 'Camouflage Scheme: 14 - Hunting Percival Provost T Mk.1, WV441/N-Y of No.7 Flying Training School, RAF Valley, 1956' This particular Provost spent its entire service  career (July 1953 - June 1957) with No.6 FTS at Ternhill!!

mine is at a mates house...just to find time to collect it.....I have more or less given up 1/72 expect for few bigger planes.....but this provost with all the trimings is a must have as my dad use to love flying the provost......

eagerly waiting for a build log and of course the 1/48 versions.......hope its not too long more

rgds

mr b

Edited by Mr B

Although it's a small kit, it still required just as much production investment as a larger one, perhaps a little less silicone and resin. And it is beautiful, saw one last year and almost got one but went for a Sea Venom instead. Seems excellent value for money to me for a highly detailed resin kit. 

Very tempted to get this so look forwards to seeing Crobinsonh's build :)

There was one on the CMR stall that I think Cockneycol built (apologise if you didn't col, might of been one of the other guys) which looked stunning.

Managed to get a Matchbox Provost from Kingkit

a couple of years ago, my third build of that kit

and still a good model despite poor interior detail.

Nice surface detail with no trenches, although a very

early review said not quite right at the rear of the

engine cowling/ exhaust outlet shrouds.

Cheers, Paul

The Matchbox Provost is pretty rare now, and sells well. It used to be pretty much disregarded at shows and kit-swaps and on eBay. Then the S&M RAF trainers sheet came out, and now the few that come on the market are highly sought after!

really? i managed to pick one up in the middle of last year via ebay, forget what i paid (under a tenner i'm sure) it came with no box, just the back part with the colour scheme (this was as advertised) but two sets of decals, however while both sets are the same there is a real difference in some of the colours!

after i had bought it i spotted that S&M sheet that has the same version as the matchbox decals anyway. (i think, its been a while since i looked and the provost is up in the loft)

I didn't think the Matchbox boxing was particularly rare (didn't Revell repop it a little while back?). It was one of the first kits that signaled Matchbox were setting a slightly different course to other kit manufacturers. I remember when I first saw they were going to release one I was so pleased as at is was one of those I didn't think would ever be kitted by a mainstream manufacturer. I was always hoped they might produce a 'Twin Pin' but alas no.

It was a neat kit then and still is today.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

managed to pick the CMR kit from my mate......wow really looks first class......but I keep forgetting.....is small as its 1/72......i tend to agree, the matchbox kit is a decent represtation.....there is room for scratch building......had a couple of them.......built and the last few were sold off the stash they were made in china.....or macau.....the provost and the matchbox strikemaster....was the fav kits of the time

The CMR kit will be done hopefully in this year ....

rgds

mr b