Dragons Apollo 17 "the last j-mission" csm+lm+Lunar rover in 1/72

jetboy

Hi,

Thought i would show you this kit of dragons,as we have just passed the 40th anniv of mans last visit to another planet.Apollo 17 the 11th and final manned mission to the moon,probably more famous for the night time launch of the saturn 5,the one that brought all the fish to the surface to watch?.

Launched 7 dec 72,landed on the moon on 11dec,moon landing site Taurus-Littrow,the lm landed about 300 yds short of target,with about two mins of fuel left,so could of had a fly round,if they had wanted.

crew was Ron evans,jack schmitt,Gene cernan.cm call sign America,Lm call sign challenger,and aboard was lunar rover Lrv-3

Also on board were 5 mice,to test the effects of radiation,but these dont come with the kit.

Apollo 17 mission important for quite a few things,that gets overshadowed by earlier missions..

1.the famous earth from the moon photograph...orange soil...detonating charges for sub surface exploration..cernans hammer breaking the lrv mudgaurd and causing lunar dust to cover everything,so making the astronauts perform lunar repairs and pitstop,the kits lrv mudgaurds are fine though..

The crew collected 243.65 pounds of moon rock,which included the goodwill rock,which was sliced up andgiven to seventy countrys.

Cernans last unrecorded words on lift off from the moon were.'ok,jack,lets get  this mother outa here'

Anyway the kit is very nice,nice lunar display stand,very nice moulding,cannot comment on the accucery of the details,though someone will?cos i dont really care,it looks good,and its one of the kits which will benefit from attentionj to the finish and paint i suspect..very nice,heres some pics

036.jpg

037.jpg

038-14.jpg

039-16.jpg

040-19.jpg

the lander

041-16.jpg

042-16.jpg

the orbiter

043-15.jpg

044-14.jpg

045.jpg

usual lot of minute decals,and pe bits

046.jpg

wire for command module

047.jpg

nice big stand

048.jpg

049-8.jpg

the lunar explorers

051-6.jpg

they seem a bit dumpy to me but very very detailed,you can almost see the aforementioned hammer on cernans leg if you look real close.

the lm instrument bay/hold is shown,quite a nice touch,saves scratch building one.

052.jpg

Edited by jetboy
  • Like 1

Damn i almost forgot the most important bit the Lrv

here with the airfix one to show you the dragon lrv is better

054-6.jpg

heres the words

055-8.jpg

056-7.jpg

057-7.jpg

All in all a very welcome addition and rendition of a historic mission...

Edited by jetboy
  • Like 1

Hi norm,youll be burning in more ways than one down there according to the news,shouldt lol really.Not been cold here all winter really,its just starting to get cooler tonight,they have forecast it coming in bad in the next few weeks we will see,. it will be the usual no grit,country at a standstill lol.right off to bed,watch out for them moiyne shafts and take care,i.ll get that accent right shortly,cheers Don

Hi Don. Thanks for showing us the kit, it looks very interesting and something if I didn't have too many helo's to tackle I'd give a go. I was watching the Apollo 13 documentary on TV last eve and the comparision with the movie, with Ron Howard giving his reasons for certain scenes. Most entertaining. Are you starting the build straight away?

Colin

Hi Don. Thanks for showing us the kit, it looks very interesting and something if I didn't have too many helo's to tackle I'd give a go. I was watching the Apollo 13 documentary on TV last eve and the comparision with the movie, with Ron Howard giving his reasons for certain scenes. Most entertaining. Are you starting the build straight away?

Colin

Hi col,thanks for that,am istarting it ,not at moment,too many in the queue yet,though hope to get round to it shortly,helo,s..thats got loads of scope for spacy dioramas,every splash down for instance,i will admit i have two of the airfix kits of the apollo splash down chopper,no66,cheers for the intrest Don

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Don for posting this review of the Apolo 17 kit. I was on the fence on whether I should get a copy as I do have the Apollo 11 version. I think I'll have a go with this kit after seeing your photos. Thanks again!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:drink:

Thanks Don for posting this review of the Apolo 17 kit. I was on the fence on whether I should get a copy as I do have the Apollo 11 version. I think I'll have a go with this kit after seeing your photos. Thanks again!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:drink:

Hi,mike..you wont regret that decision,if theres any others i can show you,you might be intrested in just let me know/ cheers Don