Spitfire Mk IX with E wing, 4x Hispanos - pics & info?

Paramedic

Hi!

I have a little difficulty finding info and pics of Spitfire Mk IXe´s - with four 20mm cannons. If I can remember correctly some with the E-wing did have just that, or am I mistaken?

I would love to build a kit with that option and any tips for which one have those options or are easy to upgrade with after-market options would be great. 1:72, 1:48 or 1:32 doesn´t matter.

Info is greatly appreciated, even if I am mistaken on this option. ;) If indeed some had this armament, how did those bulges on the wings look like?

Thanks!

Four 20 mms would be a C-wing configuration with wide overwing blisters. I haven't seen any pics of IXc's with 4x20 mm cannons, but some of the Vc's that went to Malta were so configured. Two of the cannons were removed to save weight though - more important for the lower engine power of the Mk. V.

The E-wing configuration was 2x20 mm cannons and 2x12.7 mm (or 0.5") machine guns.

Jens

Edited by jenshb

Ah, ok - thanks! I was reading the wiki-article on the late Merlin-variants and it said 2x Hispanos & 2x .50 cals or 4x Hispanos on the E-wing. I should have known better than trusting wiki.. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_%28late_Merlin_powered_variants%29

So if I want to build a Merlin Spitfire with 4x 20mm cannons I should look at a Mk Vc or possibly a Mk IXc..?

So if I want to build a Merlin Spitfire with 4x 20mm cannons I should look at a Mk Vc or possibly a Mk IXc..?

Vc only, I think.  A SAAF squadron in Italy used Vcs with the 4 cannon installation.  A Google search on "SAAF" and "Spitfire" will probably throw up a fairly well-known sequence of photos showing them.

• Like 1

There was a plan to fit 4 x 20mm (along with various other combinations) + outer-wing Brownings into the Mk.VIII, but not the IX, in fact, in December 1943, there was a modification "To standardise armament on VC & IX aircraft as 2 cannon and 4 Brownings."
This idea had led to another modification, proposed in April 1943, in which the outer cannon barrel fairing was to be cut off, and faired over. (This is probably where the idea of there being a IXb came from.)
This mod was swiftly cancelled, in November 1943, when the plan for the "E" wing (standardised at 2 x 20 mm + 2 x .5", with never a mention of 4 x 20mm) was "introduced," as mod 1029, in April/May 1944, which is when the first few IXe were produced.
Edgar

Thanks a lot guys! That was really helpful! :)

Too bad I cannot build a Mk IX with 4x 20mm cannons though. Might have to build a later Griffon-variant then as well.

You can build a Mk VIII (The Mk IX's more refined brother) with 4 cannon - there were a couple used in Australia, withthe pointy extended wing tips. Theres a pic in Ospreys "Late Marque Spitfire Aces" book, but codes may be elusive.

Its does look pretty mean.

If you go Griffon then you are Mk 21 onwards for a 4 x Hispano fit - a Mk21 with contra prop always looks nifty but would need cross kitting in most scales

cheers

Jonners

Thanks again guys! Funnily enough I have that Osprey book in the mail, probably coming tomorrow..! :yahoo:

Have had my eyes on the VIII for some time but pushed it down the pile. Might have to rethink that now. It looks dead sexy with those four, long barrells..

There will be a Griffon, late series like the 21 later. But I am building my way from the start to finish so to say.

Great info Mikemx - I didn´t know that so will check that one out.

The Airfix Mk V is not retooled yet, eh..?

If I, for some reason, would like to build a "what-if" (Heaven forbid! ;) ) MK IX with four 20mm cannons - is there any good brands that have both a Mk IX and Mk VIII that I could switch out parts from. Thinking motsly on those bulges on the wings here..

I think Italeri has - not sure about the compability though.

Edited by Paramedic

The more recent AZ kits in 72nd give you narrow and wide blisters, as well as a slew of other spare bits so nothing is wasted.  If you get the 3 in 1 Joy Pack, you've everything in one box.

I've already done a pair of whiffed 4 cannon birds with an E wing and used two of the narrow blisters per wing so they look something akin to a 21 wing.  Something Edgar mentioned as a possibility a while back set me off.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0

If you need the wide bulges, the AZ 1/72 kits of the Mk.IX both wide and narrow bulges. However they only have two cannon barrels. A solution could be the purchase of the beautiful set made by Master Model

http://www.master-model.pl/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=164&category_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56〈=pl

Edited: only found the Wooksta had mentioned the AZ kits after I posted. Still, they are nice kits, worth buying even if I tend to like the Sword kit a bit more

Edited by Giorgio N

Thanks once again guys. The barrells are of no problem, I can get those separately as you showed me.

However, I should probably know which brand AZ is short for but I don´t.. :clown:  I just re-eneterd the hobby after a bunch of years out, since I was a small kid. Have really most build Airfix and Matchbox in 1:72 before but have started to build more advanced 1:72 and mainly 1:48 now..

It has and that's where I got my codes from! I used roundels from other sources though as the red in the Airfix roundels was a bit too orange for me!

thanks

Mike

Erm, I thought that was as it should be, as the aircraft in question was a SAAF machine, and they had blue-white-orange roundels.

Thanks once again guys. The barrells are of no problem, I can get those separately as you showed me.

However, I should probably know which brand AZ is short for but I don´t.. :clown:  I just re-eneterd the hobby after a bunch of years out, since I was a small kid. Have really most build Airfix and Matchbox in 1:72 before but have started to build more advanced 1:72 and mainly 1:48 now..

AZ is the brand name.

Erm, I thought that was as it should be, as the aircraft in question was a SAAF machine, and they had blue-white-orange roundels.

I wouldn't know either way tbh. I have a book with a colour illustration of said Spitfire and the red is most definately red. Maybe the book is wrong, maybe Airfix are wrong. I went with the red ones as I'd never seen or heard of orange ones, so I assumed Airfix's printing was off.

thanks

Mike

Too bad I cannot build a Mk IX with 4x 20mm cannons though. Might have to build a later Griffon-variant then as well.
Actually, you can - AB196 and AB197 were the two Vcs converted by Rolls Royce as Merlin 61 testbeds, and at least one of them is pictured with 4 20mm cannon fitted. 196 even apparently went on to actual service use, though I highly doubt she was still carrying the extra Hispanos by then. Being a testbed she is in pretty humdrum paint, and has some quirky differences from a "normal" Mk.IX.

Either way, you should follow through on your other thought- later Griffon variants rule!

bob

Edited by gingerbob

Try as a may I have never found a reference to a Spitfire Mk IXc, or Mk IXb for that matter, in AP documentation, Pilots Notes, manuals etc.

When the Mk IXe came on stream the official differentiation was  'Early Mk IX' and Mk IXe.

Go to the history books and it is Mk IXc everywhere, perpetuating the presumed carry over of designation from the Mk V.

Actually, you can - AB196 and AB197 were the two Vcs converted by Rolls Royce as Merlin 61 testbeds, and at least one of them is pictured with 4 20mm cannon fitted. 196 even apparently went on to actual service use, though I highly doubt she was still carrying the extra Hispanos by then. Being a testbed she is in pretty humdrum paint, and has some quirky differences from a "normal" Mk.IX.

Either way, you should follow through on your other thought- later Griffon variants rule!

bob

That´s interesting! Means I can build a Mk IX with 4x hispanos and not be flogged in public.. ;)

The later Griffons, I love them too so no problem! Just happens to like the overall shape of the Mk IX the best (right now)..

I wouldn't know either way tbh. I have a book with a colour illustration of said Spitfire and the red is most definately red. Maybe the book is wrong, maybe Airfix are wrong. I went with the red ones as I'd never seen or heard of orange ones, so I assumed Airfix's printing was off.

thanks

Mike

'Fraid to say - Airfix were right. SAAF machines tended to replace the red with orange. I'm sure its not 100% hard and fast though.

Cheers

Jonners