British Phantom cockpits FG.1 versus FGR.2

Ali62

I'm thinking the best model would be to combine the new Academy kit with the middle/rear fuselage of the Hasegawa FG1/FGR1 and a new cockpit. It will probably be a problem getting the fuselage to mate with the wings (a bit of cutting and sanding I fear because of the wider fuselage) but it would make a great model and fit in nicely with any other versions of the Academy kit you might build.

Edited by WH904

What confuses me with the Aires cockpit for the "FGR.1" (=FG.1) is the completely different Radar control arrangement.

It has the Radar control stick on some half-round base sitting above the middle console....?

Shouldn't it be on this little platform on the right (as they modeled it for the FGR.2)?

I have not yet started the kits but this started worrying me soon after I got the Aires cockpit sets and compared them to some photographs and drawings.

Great responses guys, sure glad we have moved of the tailplane terminalogy issue, slot or slat, we know they are there and it is only words to describe the tailplane option.

I'm thinking the best model would be to combine the new Academy kit with the middle/rear fuselage of the Hasegawa FG1/FGR1 and a new cockpit. It will probably be a problem getting the fuselage to mate with the wings (a bit of cutting and sanding I fear because of the wider fuselage) but it would make a great model and fit in nicely with any other versions of the Academy kit you might build.

WH904, I am not sure why you would really want yo do this, as I think it would make it very complicated and expensive BUT you may have, other reasons for doing so, you maybe aware of other good feature for cross kiting, I have both kits so will have a size play, but just think that with having to basically add the Academy forward fuselage to the reat of the Hasegawa kit seems a little odd.

What confuses me with the Aires cockpit for the "FGR.1" (=FG.1) is the completely different Radar control arrangement.

It has the Radar control stick on some half-round base sitting above the middle console....?

Shouldn't it be on this little platform on the right (as they modeled it for the FGR.2)?

I have not yet started the kits but this started worrying me soon after I got the Aires cockpit sets and compared them to some photographs and drawings.

Ingo, well that and a few other points, was what surprised / confused me but I think with what has been discussed and shown so far is starting to unravel it, so hopefully soon we will get a better and true idea for the FG.1 cockpit.

cheers Ali

Yes you are right the radar joy stick was in a alcove to the RHS ,the radar was also different & could be pushed froward & down to stow out of the way to let the RO have more room to enter & leave the cockpit. Regards Len

Hi Ingo,

This is exactly what I was saying in my earlier post :). Aires have got the radar controller wrong for the FG1. They have used the one seen in the late F-4J and F-4S. The Hasegawa kit is more accurate in this aspect. Also, the Aires left sidewall arrangement is incorrect for the FG1. To get closer you would have to use a mixture of the F-4B and FGR1 (sic) rear cockpits.

Here is the actual layout from the Aircrew Manual:

RNPhantomFG1RearLHstd.jpg

And this is a comparison of (top to bottom) Aires' F-4B, F-4J/S, FG1 and FGR2 rear left sidewalls:

Picture011a.jpg

Black Box catered for this in their set (see my picture above) where they give you two rear instrument panels, two rear sidewalls and two avionic box set ups as well as the vertical rear wall actually seen on the real jet. It also caters for the differences in the front cockpit, including detail changes between RAF & RN FG1s, note the three coamings, left console panels and front instrument panels. If only it was still readily available...

HTH

Jonathan

Academy forward fuselage to the reat of the Hasegawa kit seems a little odd.

I just think its probably the best idea if you want a collection of Phantom variants based on one kit. Theyd all look basically the same then. It is a lot of work though so maybe not worth the grief!

Hi Ingo,

This is exactly what I was saying in my earlier post :). Aires have got the radar controller wrong for the FG1. They have used the one seen in the late F-4J and F-4S. The Hasegawa kit is more accurate in this aspect. Also, the Aires left sidewall arrangement is incorrect for the FG1. To get closer you would have to use a mixture of the F-4B and FGR1 (sic) rear cockpits.

Black Box catered for this in their set (see my picture above) where they give you two rear instrument panels, two rear sidewalls and two avionic box set ups as well as the vertical rear wall actually seen on the real jet. It also caters for the differences in the front cockpit, including detail changes between RAF & RN FG1s, note the three coamings, left console panels and front instrument panels. If only it was still readily available...

HTH

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

thanks for the pics and explanation.

I just cannibalized my Black Box cockpit for the Academy F-4B, using the sidewalls only because I couldn't make the whole tub fit into the fuselage.

I also cut out the complete left side of the rear cockpit and replaced the kit's arrangement with this - so it looks more realistic, although I left the rear wall as it is (not vertical)

Anyway, very useful information here when it comes to building the RN and RAF Phantoms.