1/144 Revell F-15E Strike Eagle TMOTA 2005...Done...

All Eagle Keepers,

Really looking forward to this. It is my first Group Build and also my first Work in Progress, the standard pics below of the kit and aftermarket zacto goodies (well impressed with these), I may also use Ozmods pilots and will add a pic of them if I decide to use them.

Still thorn on what one to do hence the dragon decal sheet, but think it will be the Tigermeet version as I have a serious short fall in spare weapons.

2_zps8b9be6b5.jpg

3_zpsf0cb3ea3.jpg

6_zps12684a66.jpg

5_zps6b8b7cc2.jpg

4_zpsda8cba23.jpg

1_zpsa11ddcb3.jpg

Edited by mark73
  • Like 1

I was looking at adding this kit to my Hannants order this week - decided against it - but would bought if realised the group build was on. Hmmm - quick build next month me thinks.

For me it has to be the tigermeet decals.

Robert

Very carefully Dave, very carefully......

And with lots and lots of swearing sometimes. :P

What was the shipping time like with the Zactomods stuff Mark?  I might need to buy them after all.  Been trawling through NASA's website.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This hasn't been touched since the first pics so time for an update/start to be made. Got a Tamiya Gunship Grey spray can for the overall colour but testing it so far leads me to think it may be too dark for a model of this scale, so may look at something else possible Humbrol 27...any other suggestions?

Humbrol 11 rattle can used on the engine areas, I first used one of these recently on my 1/40th Fouga build and found that they give a great finish and are excellent value.

DSCF4705800x600_zpse328235b.jpg

Zactomodels exhausts fitted to the revell parts, these have amazing detail and are a huge improvement over the kit parts but word of warning if anyone is going to use them they are quiet delicate so care is needed when removing them from the resin block (as I found out!! :shutup: )

DSCF4704800x600_zpsf5085508.jpg

Top and bottom together (old clothes pegs, is there anything they can't do!)

DSCF4708800x600_zps05eeaea8.jpg

Cockpit detail is nil even with IP decals it only improves a little so let the madness begin....etch...

DSCF4707800x600_zpsd65eac9d.jpg

Some leftover etch from a recent ship build for a friend (HMS York) is used for detailing the cockpit sides, as of this evening the overhangs have been filed flush and painting begun, the plan is to paint different colours in some of the voids and black over the rest, will see if it works, will try to make some sort of block to represent throttle levers.......1/144 = :banghead:

DSCF4711800x600_zpsfbf26b14.jpg

• Like 1

Looking great, the resin looks to be a worth while improvement. Looking forward to seeing what else you're going to do with the cockpit, I managed (just) a throttle set for the 1:144 tornado.

• Like 1

Do you have a link to the build Neal, how did you do it? The resin is well worth it.

Mark, the build thread is here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234916887-revell-tornado-gr1-1144-update-15-11-the-mighty-finished/

The throttles were nothing too flash, some plasticard layered up to make the gates, and some stretched sprue for the throttle levers.

I've used Tamiya AS-10, Ocean Grey in the past. It looks pretty much perfect on 1/32nd scale stuff. HTH I thought both versions of Tamiya Gunship grey were too dark.

Got a Tamiya Gunship Grey spray can for the overall colour but testing it so far leads me to think it may be too dark for a model of this scale, so may look at something else possible Humbrol 27...any other suggestions?

Ready for primer, the Tamiya GS grey spraycan I had picked up for this looked very dark once I tested it on an old kit in 1/144( it would be perfect in 1/48) so I have tried humbrol 27 with a gloss coat and it looks much better so that will be the main colour.

DSCF4756800x600_zps68f10ba9.jpg

CFT's done, as the pylons are so small part of the sprue is left attached to be trimmed after the glue has fully set, this and making up the CFT off the aircraft where lessons learned from the Sea Eagle build.

DSCF4755800x600_zps8f22a4e6.jpg

Its amazing how much you can get done with a little free time.

I had given the model its first coat of humbrol 27 (rattle can) and it didn't seem that great at first (was very very flat, even more then a matt finish), but when the second coat went on it came to life, it was defiantly the right colour choice for this scale and once the first gloss coat went on all doubt went away, see what you think.

DSCF4883800x600_zps25f4bfe0.jpg

DSCF4884800x600_zps885ee5dd.jpg

I really think the Tamiya GS Grey would have been far to dark.

All the undercarriage and wheels are just waiting for tyre paint, the exhausts and seats will take some dry brushing but the decals will be the most time consuming. :coolio:

Decalling started, the first ones went on with no problem, but as was said in Bonhoff's thread some care is needed with the side decals for the CFT's around the pylons, got one side done (carefully trimming around said pieces) tonight and almost made the classic model mistake of rushing to get the next side done before hitting the hay, will go at the rest tomorrow when fully rested.

Finding Revell Decal soft very good for these, have some microscale sol and set but as I've never used them and this kit is for the clubs annual show decided to stick with what works for me.

DSCF4917800x600_zps944f6e10.jpg

• Like 1

Question for the exhaust-perts, I have the resin pipes primed and ready for paint but should I paint them black or another colour and dry brush silver or do the reverse, paint silver and dry brush the other colour. I have no airbush so alclad is not an option.

That looks really nice Mark.

I had the misfortune of making Revell's 1/144 F-15A last year (also Tiger Meet), but it came out nowhere near as nicely as yours has.

I blame the kit!

Cliff

Almost done with decalling,only the Tails to go, :shutup: have tiger stripes before my eyes.....

DSCF4933800x600_zps49f4f55d.jpg

DSCF4932800x600_zps3a3b0270.jpg

DSCF4931800x600_zps5091bc70.jpg

DSCF4924800x600_zps98e17bc8.jpg

In this one you can see some of the cockpit detail

DSCF4929800x600_zpscb99b141.jpg

Wish Revell or someone would come out with a set of standard Sqdn markings and some targeting pods, the kit would look so well all bombed up..

Looking good mate :) might actually make this version at a later date.

Regarding the decals, the only ones I've been able to find where for a Slam Eagle. Which isn't too bad. Hoping DMK or Jasmine Models do some.

Kind Regards

Dazz

Almost done with decalling,only the Tails to go, :shutup: have tiger stripes before my eyes.....

Wish Revell or someone would come out with a set of standard Sqdn markings and some targeting pods, the kit would look so well all bombed up..

You're doing a great job with the decalling, much more patient than I'd manage.

Completely agree with the markings & load comments, the tiger meet scheme just isn't my cup of tea and puts me off a great looking kit. If it helps I've found this site that has alternative decals that you can print

https://sites.google.com/site/planetspejic/decal-templates

Ozmods do some great looking resin ordenance but the shipping is pretty steep the the uk. That still leaves it short of the targeting pods though

Keep up the good work.

Edited by Neal

Tigers tails on and gloss coat all over, will have this done in time (fingers crossed), :worthy: weapons and gear will be on tomorrow, don't know if I should do a wash, this was a tigermeet scheme???

DSCF4974800x600_zps6483a8ac.jpg