Airfix 1/144 Saturn V

A few pics of my latest work, the Airfix 1/144 Saturn V.

The model is built completely out of the box and painted with Tamiya and Gunze acrylics.

DSCF0080_zps3b998931.jpg
DSCF0081_zps6c0e5415.jpg
Dscf0086_zps424318a9.jpg
DSCF0097_zps050a4fc7.jpg
Dscf0085_zps631bdfd7.jpg

Edited by falcon
  • Like 1

I hate to say this, but the black stripes on the first stage are wrong - they shouldn't extend up onto the ribbed intertank structure. The Airfix instructions aren't clear on this point (Mat Irvine was sent poor quality photocopies to check and didn't spot it at the time) but it should look like the photo below:

SaturnV_zpsd73b2634.jpg

A nice build though!

Edited by GordonD

Cheers guys.

I hate to say this, but the black stripes on the first stage are wrong - they shouldn't extend up onto the ribbed intertank structure. The Airfix instructions aren't clear on this point (Mat Irvine was sent poor quality photocopies to check and didn't spot it at the time) but it should look like the photo below:

SaturnV_zpsd73b2634.jpg

A nice build though!

B*gger. Looks like I will have to try masking it up and spraying it this weekend to put it right.

B*gger. Looks like I will have to try masking it up and spraying it this weekend to put it right.

Yes, sorry about that but I do get all rivet-countey when it comes to space subjects. Good luck - spraying white over black is never fun.

BTW it's been pointed out to me that Mat Irvine was not sent duff photocopies of the instruction sheet for checking - he was sent high-quality artwork but the unclear painting part somehow slipped through, My apologies to Airfix.

The non-flight Saturn was known as 500-F and was in effect a 1:1 scale model. It had dummy engines but the propellant tanks could be filled and it had all the electrical connectors to hook it up to the service tower. Its main purpose was to check that the ground/vehicle interfaces fitted together.

It had the vertical stripes connected by the black ring as in the photos above but when the engineers checked the thermal sensors they found that the extra black areas did undesirable things to the intertank regions so the pattern was changed. Which is why the early model kits show incorrect painting details.

Falcon, if you do decide to go down that route, bear in mind that you'll need to remove the S-IC-6 markings from near the base, as these specifically designate the first stage as the sixth one to fly, i.e. Apollo 11's.

Cheers guys.

Hi,excellent paint finish on your stack,as for changing it,dont bother....98% of people who see it wont know about the stripes,ucks sake, i built 2 out of the box,before i noticed.....looks good..cheers Don

Hi,excellent paint finish on your stack,as for changing it,dont bother....98% of people who see it wont know about the stripes,ucks sake, i built 2 out of the box,before i noticed.....looks good..cheers Don

But the 2% who do know will complain endlessly!

• Like 1

You could always model a test bed/non flight Saturn V. It would be easier to add the black band.

SaturnV_first_stage_zps6f751a9c.jpg

Saturn_V_First_Stage_Lifted_into_Test_St

saturn-v-first-stage_zps730d6bac.jpg

Cheers for those pics Mark.

A guy at club night tonight mentioned he had seen pics of a Saturn V first stage with those markings.

Cheers for the kind remarks guys.

Looking at a pic of all the Saturn V launches at the local model club tonight and actually noticed that the black stripes on the interstage extend further down than the Airfix instructions show as well.

So having had a good look at how to go about it, I have gone with the option of doing the corrections to the model and will post up some new pics tomorrow.

Masking all removed it looks pretty good and hasn't spoilt it.

Cheers guys.

Excellent work Chris and nice save, now are you going to do the others kits to go with it ? :goodjob:

I also have the Saturn Skylab, Saturn IB, Vostoc, 2x Revell 1/144 Shuttles and an Anigrand 1/144 Polyus to go with this, so there will be more space builds.

Need to get some more white paint first as this one went through 4 jars of white alone.

I will be fetching it to the Bolton show on Sunday btw. B)

Cheers guys.

I also have the Saturn Skylab, Saturn IB, Vostoc, 2x Revell 1/144 Shuttles and an Anigrand 1/144 Polyus to go with this, so there will be more space builds.

I very much look forward to seeing those!