Johnsons Klear - Original

Jazzy Jase

I've got about 4 or 5 bottles of this stuff at home and there's no way I'm gonna use it all.

A quick check of eBay shows no-one is selling it at the moment.

Has it lost it's value? Have modellers found a decent alternative? Or am I sitting on a fortune?

Thoughts anyone?

In that case I'll give you a fiver for a bottle. 

:D

I thought the new stuff had been tested to death and was pretty much the same as the old stuff except not as good for dipping canopies in?  I can't say for certain, because I've never used the old stuff but that seems to be the consensus on here and other fora?

Ha ha, should I decide to sell it I will put it up in the for sale section - once I've determined what it's even worth.

I seem to remember reading the new formula wasn't as good for canopy dipping.

Edited by Jazzy Jase

I suspect the reason it's not on sale at the moment is that there's a finite supply and whoever was selling it in the weeks before Christmas has run out. Unlike some model kits, Klear shouldn't circulate endlessly from stash to stash without change.

To set a price, try for cached eBay pages for old auctions and see what the final price was - then subtract a few percent cos it's BM.

Edited by pigsty

I think it topped out at £30 a bottle.

I think I paid under £2 a bottle when I got my 3 and i've barely used half a bottle in four years.

Good offer of £5 a bottle there, I spose if you dont ask..... 

Thanks Pigsty - didn't realise I could search eBay for old auctions but a bit of Googling revealed how.

Seems about £25 - £30 per bottle on there is the norm. That's crazy, but I'm not gonna complain!

What you need are some smaller bottles you can decant it into, and sell on...

And then, what you need is some water, and some experimentation with how far you can dilute it before someone notices....

:banghead:

What you need are some smaller bottles you can decant it into, and sell on... 

And then, what you need is some water, and some experimentation with how far you can dilute it before someone notices....

I've just had a light bulb moment.... I sense a brand new product.... HOMOEOPATHIC KLEAR!!!! This time next week we'll be millionaires!

article-2190027-1497D92F000005DC-122_634

Chris

• Like 2

This stuff fetches very un-realistic prices at times. 

I bought two bottles a couple of years ago at £3 each I think. This should last for years until something else comes along.

One thing of note though, this stuff has gained "mystical" status but is really just a very thin varnish. It certainly isn't worth some of the asking prices!

I think be reasonable and decant it out and donate to BM chaps a sensible prices would be a good idea.

Or sell it for a small fortune and lay on a big party for us all and retire!

Good luck!

Rick.

The prices it's fetching did seem ridiculous, until I read gcn's post above.

The Alclad at £7 per 120ml works out at £29 per 500ml, which makes the Klear seem not-so-ridiculous at around the same price.

Really ? how much is the equivalent Alclad varnish that promises to replace Klear. £7 for a tiny bottle.

I've seen people asking £25 and some one bought it. 

The new stuff appears to be the same at a fifth of that price. 

Humbrol's new 'Clear' is in the shops now. I bought a bottle from Antics in Stroud last Wednesday.

The 125ml bottle is the same size as Humbrol's DecalFix that appeared in the last half of 2012. I gave the new Clear a try on my Tamiya acrylic painted Panzer III that I have on my bench at the moment. When writing for Military In Scale last year, I alerted all to the efficient way in which DecalFix removed Tamiya acrylic paint. DecalFix is very good at its job of getting decals to sit on matt surfaces with the minimum of bother. More importantly, it managed to get decals to sit snugly over the highly-raised surfaces on my Revell Routemaster that appears in the current issue of Airfix Model World.

After testing Humbrol Clear on a sample of Tamiya acrylic with no ill effects, I sprayed the painted tank before adding the decals. I found that Clear sprayed easily and evenly over the paintwork. It produced a glossy finish on the first application of a light coat and did not change the appearance of the colour of the tank's paintwork. When I have used Klear, I have found it needed a couple of coates to give the same glossy finish. Clear does not dry as quickly as Klear so beware of touching the wet varnish too soon.

Brushes and airbrushes easily clean using tap water.

Humbrol Clear also protected the Tamiya acrylic from ClearFix attacking the paint. I was particularly generous with my application of ClearFix to a hidden area to see what happened - nothing, hurrah! As seen on recent postings where modellers have had bad experiences with different brands of paints/varnishes, it is alway wise to test before ruining your latest masterpiece, especially at the end of the project.

Those thinking of parting with their cash for bottles of Klear at inflated prices need fear not. Humbrol's version seem to do the trick. I have not tested Clear on transparent parts but as far as gloss coating and protecting Tamiya paint goes, Clear works well. Before you try it on any other brand of acrylic paint, test it first. I imagine there will be no problems with enamel based paintwork.

Humbrol's mission to give us an alternative to Klear appears to be a great success.  

• Like 1

I bought one back in 2008 or so for like £5 on eBay. Late last year got another one for about £20. Ouch.

That said, the first one is still only about half finished. They last a loooong time!

Btw, anyone know if the original formula is sold in France under a different name? I go there often and I've wondering if I should pick up one or two.

Who's paying £7.00 for the Alclad stuff, last bottle I got was £4.50 and that seems to last forever as well.Personally I think the Alclad's stuff is better than the new Klear, but then again, have never tried the mystical old klear

• Like 1