1/1700 EFSF Salamis-class light cruiser

Hi folks,

I finished off the Salamis yesterday and took some pictures today - here they are:

8359186361_7e8dfddf76_c.jpg

8360251740_a81fe4773d_c.jpg

(click for bigger, especially if you like dust!)

8359204671_88baee8f51_c.jpg

8360250356_d7afd89142_c.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how the Balls (sort of cut-price Gundam robots, apparently) came out - they look nice and chunky considering they're about 4.5mm across :)

8359185067_fc055d939b_c.jpg

8359187101_e8ae36ab18_c.jpg

I wasn't really intending to light this, but realised that with some drilling and filing I could get a 5mm LED into the engine bell, and a 1.8mm square one into the bridge. Running the wires wasn't too hard - I drilled down from the bridge and back from the engine, and then diagonally up from the hole where the stand plugs in until all the bores met. Some more filing and a bit of stiff beading wire helped feed the stranded cable through.

Pleasingly, the battery (a CR2032 coin cell) just fits into the base of the stand, so the whole thing is self contained. I made the battery holder from some bits of metal, but ran out of space for a switch so you have to pop the battery out to turn it off :)

8360253060_5fcd7c8941_c.jpg

I thought this was a fun little kit, a bit more work than I expected but worth it. It's not very big compared to the box it comes in though:

8360252566_c3af61f6e9_c.jpg

You also get a larger ship (the Magellan-class battleship) in the box, so I'll have to get on to that in the not too distant future.

Comments + criticism very welcome, and thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Will

Hi folks,

I finished off the Salamis yesterday and took some pictures today - here they are:

8359186361_7e8dfddf76_c.jpg

8360251740_a81fe4773d_c.jpg

(click for bigger, especially if you like dust!)

8359204671_88baee8f51_c.jpg

8360250356_d7afd89142_c.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how the Balls (sort of cut-price Gundam robots, apparently) came out - they look nice and chunky considering they're about 4.5mm across :)

8359185067_fc055d939b_c.jpg

8359187101_e8ae36ab18_c.jpg

I wasn't really intending to light this, but realised that with some drilling and filing I could get a 5mm LED into the engine bell, and a 1.8mm square one into the bridge. Running the wires wasn't too hard - I drilled down from the bridge and back from the engine, and then diagonally up from the hole where the stand plugs in until all the bores met. Some more filing and a bit of stiff beading wire helped feed the stranded cable through.

Pleasingly, the battery (a CR2032 coin cell) just fits into the base of the stand, so the whole thing is self contained. I made the battery holder from some bits of metal, but ran out of space for a switch so you have to pop the battery out to turn it off :)

8360253060_5fcd7c8941_c.jpg

I thought this was a fun little kit, a bit more work than I expected but worth it. It's not very big compared to the box it comes in though:

8360252566_c3af61f6e9_c.jpg

You also get a larger ship (the Magellan-class battleship) in the box, so I'll have to get on to that in the not too distant future.

Comments + criticism very welcome, and thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Will

Hi will,i dont know what it is,but its a cracking job,you really have made a top class job there,all the best...cheers Don....ps i suppose storage is no problem? don

that is awesome Will - brillaint job. Your painting is always spot on - wish I could be more like that! :lol: Perfectly in scale

I see you abandoned the stripes for the ball launch rails - I thought they looked good before, but this is still excellent none the less

Where did you get the coin holder from? I've been thinking about using something like on some of my smaller builds

Edited by Madhatter

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

Where did you get the coin holder from? I've been thinking about using something like on some of my smaller builds

You can apparently get holders from electronics suppliers (RS etc.) for cheap, or rip them off old motherboards, but this is home made (and correspondingly a bit dodgy!) I cut out brass and phosphor bronze (for the sprung contact) with scissors, bent it to shape, and soldered the header pins on so I could have something easy to wire to.

It's all epoxied into the base - I added the extra styrene strips to keep the battery in place. It's a bit Blue Peter but it mostly works, and it was satisfying to build it to fit with bits I had lying around :)

Will

Thanks! I looked at the larger scale kit (or at least pictures of it on the web) for the colour scheme, although the orange tanks on the back probably aren't canonical. From what I can see the Master Grade Ball kit is pretty good - it has an internal structure with plating panels over it, so you could do a cool battle-damaged version, or maintenance diorama.

Will