Trumpeter 1/32 Harrier GR7 IV(AC) Sqn Laarbruch 1994

OK here goes, after a 15 year sabbatical its time to get stuck into a kit I wanted back in the 90's after serving on IV(AC) Squadron in RAF Germany

this is the intended outcome:

ILA94-4Sqn-GR7-zoom-1.jpg

Using The Trumpter kit:

TRU02287_1.jpg

It will prove an interesting trip down memory lane, trying to remember details etc and also the need to fabricate decals for a green GR7!

I'll be using Piero's resin bits too and will have a few parts spare bits if anyone's interested (modified strake to tale the pod etc)

Load wise I'm torn between making a set of CBLS 200's and a pre-OpWarden fit using US CBU 87 b/b cluster bombs.

I'll use the BOL rails as we fitted them just before I left the Sqn along with the CRV7 pods

Wish me luck as the necessary skills need a little dust blowing off!

This was my 1/48 Monagram conversion from back in the day!

GR7-CALaarbruch92.jpg

Steve

Edited by IV(AC)Plumb
  • Like 3

Can't wait to see this build! I was planning a similar one (different scheme), and was looking into Piero's conversion parts but he seems to be sold out!

Maybe someone else will come out with a similar set.

Good luck! B)

Edited by AnthonyWan

Looking forward to this one and your old Monogram kit is no slouch either.

I would think that many of the markings from the Model Alliance 1/32nd scale sheet covering the final flight of the Harrier in British service should still be OK for a 1990`s GR.7- roundels, sqn insignia(did some still have the original 4 with a lightning flash as opposed to the later IV?)plus the large squadron tail marking and most stencils apart from the German language ones which may require a deep spares box from other NATO types.

Good Luck anyway,

All the best

Tony O

OK, first update

I've used the Eduard interior sets for the cockpit, with Piero's Mk12h Seat Although you have to loose all the raised detail on the sides to fit it in !

BigEdGR7Cockpit_zpsdde32b5c.jpg

It all looks a little flat in the pics but up close its not at all bad

Some corrections to Piero's Mk12h Seat were required PEC Connector moved further up LHS

Mk12H_1024_zps90574319.jpg

It seems a Nikon D3200 shows up my lack of paint mixing on the yellow Survival equip pack!

Engine and Undercarriage started!

I would think that many of the markings from the Model Alliance 1/32nd scale sheet covering the final flight of the Harrier in British service should still be OK for a 1990`s GR.7- roundels, sqn insignia(did some still have the original 4 with a lightning flash as opposed to the later IV?)plus the large squadron tail marking and most stencils apart from the German language ones which may require a deep spares box from other NATO types.

Good Luck anyway,

All the best

Tony O

Its mostly stencil data as the RAFG harriers had all the marking in both English and German, I don't think the UK A/C did. Roundels wise I'm fine as I was reluctant to ditch 20 years  worth of decals when i stopped about 15 years ago!

I've also got a few too many Flightpath CBU87's !

CBU87_1.jpg

I only need two and have eight!, plus two FlightPath AGM 65A Mavricks that wern't in service back then!

Will be watching this one, got a similar project myself to undertake.

Are you changing the LERX?

Shaun.

Not 100% (pun intended) sure yet, most (but not all of the IV(AC) Aircraft had 100% LERX I've still got my notebook with which ones had which so may have to be selective!

Could always get the Wolfpack 100% conversion, anyone seen it yet?

Steve

Edited by IV(AC)Plumb

Can not go wrong with a Laarbruch Harrier not one bit, make sure you get yourself out to kevs pub soon, very nostlagic, wobbly and asbach mit kola bitte,Just for research purposes of course. will be keeping an eye out for this build!!

regards

Not 100% (pun intended) sure yet, most (but not all of the IV(AC) Aircraft had 100% LERX I've still got my notebook with which ones had which so may have to be selective!

Could always get the Wolfpack 100% conversion, anyone seen it yet?

Steve

I've been cleaning up my Wolfpack 100% LERX that I got at Telford and found an area missed by the designer.

This 100% LERX is a modified copy of the Trumpeter USMC Harrier B+ kit item. Trumpeter forgot to fill the underside area and Wolfpack have also missed this!!

Not a big problem, just fill with plastic card and fill but something I did not expect to do.

I'd still recommend this update item.

The fit looks good with some carefull cutting to the main wing section.

Shaun.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

Only just spotted this! Will you be keeping it largely OOB?

Am definitely watching, good luck and I hope you finish it faster than mine!

Tim

Not quite OOB, I've the Eduard internal and external sets (I have a spare internal if anyone's interested as it came included in a set I bought)

I also have a set of piero's resing nose, centerline and 7A pylons and seat etc

Biggest challenge will be decals I think, that and dusting off skills I haven't used for 15 years!, i think the rubbers perished in the Badger airbrush hose too!

Steve

I only just noticed this one too

But I will be watching

They were very green werent they :)

Always a Harrier fan, not going to change now.

Only slight comment, put white first where you intend to put yellow (guess who built a yellow Wessex?)

I love it when you can show your own personal experience like this, I get to learn lots more about the subject

bill

• 1 month later...

Dunno how I missed this one - seems to be a trend. Great work! Any updates? Are you planning to sort out that dreadful engine or just close up all the APs and hide it?

(Think your PEC may be upside down though!;-) With the dust cover in place its almost flat.)

Kirk

Good Luck anyway,

All the best

Tony O

IIRC the stencils were a different colour, but I'd need to check!

• 2 years later...

I've always had a soft spot the GR7 or more specifically the T10. My sixth form work experience was at Boscombe Down and once a week for a year I went and worked at A sqn. I spent most of my days working (under strict supervision!) on ZH654 which I came to think of as 'my' Harrier. Sadly she was written off after stoofing in in the year 2000. I look forward to seeing yours.

• 4 years later...