- A DEUCE FOR TWO

An excellent build of the unique Convair trainer ! It looks great and displays very well the astonishing and quite interesting two-man cockpit placed at the front of the trainer 102.

I think the pitot tube took a most definite downward angle on the real TF-102 while sitting on the ground at rest, so you should be much easier on yourself ! :P

I bet someone must have called this Convair craft the "Delta Chipmunk" with that chubby face on the TF-102 !

Mike

• Like 1

An excellent build of the unique Convair trainer ! It looks great and displays very well the astonishing and quite interesting two-man cockpit placed at the front of the trainer 102.

I think the pitot tube took a most definite downward angle on the real TF-102 while sitting on the ground at rest, so you should be much easier on yourself ! :P

I bet someone must have called this Convair craft the "Delta Chipmunk" with that chubby face on the TF-102 !

Mike

-Thank you Mike

FOR COMPARISON PURPOSES

IMG_7362.jpg

IMG_7361.jpg

IMG_7358.jpg

IMG_7355.jpg

Very nice indeed. Which model is this?

The T bird Lightning looks much more like it was always intended to be a two seater and not a cobbled together afterthought IMO.

I'm also jealous of the blue skies and sunshine evident in all your photos, its nice to see that we don't all live in "Waterworld"!

Duncan B

It always amazed me that the same engineering team who was responsible for that abomination against nature was, within just a couple of years, responsible for the F-106.  :)

Well, if they wanted to be unchained from their desks they had to pull out all the stops to earn forgiveness. :banghead:

Lovely build of an hideously aircraft. I wonder if it 'flew right'.

Answer is that when first produced it didn't fly very right at all with severe buffet and poor directional stability caused by the bulbous canopy and short vertical fin, it was also a fair bit heavier and limited to Mach 1.0 , slower than the fighter version. Interestingly it retained full combat capability as both fighter, (being capable of carrying 6 AIM 4 Falcon and 24 FFAR rockets in the fuselage bomb bay), and dual control trainer and also retained the fighters original 'case-X' wing. Convair fixed the buffet by adding rows of vortex generators around the canopy, (not exactly enhancing it's elegant lines) and fitting a taller vertical fin. Problems persisted but as the gorgeous and vastly superior F-106 was just around the corner production was ceased in 1958 after 111 airframes had been produced They were mainly used by the USAF to train F-102A  and B-58 Hustler pilots.

• Like 1

Your craftmanship is always spot on and your attention to detail is second to none

Your builds are always grade A-plus and this Deuce build is no exception.

You are quite the master with your skills and photography too.

Thank you for sharing. Congrats.

Karen

• Like 1