Type 45 Destroyer Reference photos

j22mdr

Just wondering could we pin this topic as a Type 42 and Type 45 sharing place for pictures, details, anything to do with these ships and modelleing them

I agree, so topic has been pinned.

Some superb photos fellas, I was a sea cadet on Rame Head in '83 for two weeks when I was at HMS Sultan on a boat's mechanics course.

I read on Wikipedia the other day, that the last 42, Edinburgh will be paid off when it returns from the South Atlantic in March/April time. When I joined the Navy in '84 my Uncle used to joke about "when we had a Navy" when he was in, in the mid 60's, funny to think that I could say that now about the mid to late 80's.

"Funny" is being used to replace words such as; sad, terrible, heartbreaking, criminal, shame, politicians, heads up bottom etc.

Still some lovely photos though!

At the Wonderland Models online store we are currently have the Airfix 1/350 Type 45 Destroyer on offer at £39.99, that's a discount of 20% off the retail price.

The kit is in stock and available to order now.

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/airfix-1350-hms-daring-type-45-destroyer-model-kit/

Any and all photos of Type 23's, 42's and 45's very welcome in the threads already pinned. When you're ready to post the Countys we'll start a new thread and pin that too.

Just thinking out loud, but might it be an idea to split the Type 42's and Type 45's into 2 separate threads, as they are such different ships.

I agree. I'll get onto it once I've done some review photos.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone wanting to model a Type 45 as a waterline at top speed, I have uploaded this video to give you some idea of the wake.

Enjoy

Ted

Edited by Rhino

• 2 weeks later...

Gents,

Dauntless is in at Great Yarmouth this weekend as is open to the public tomorrow (Sunday) between 10 and 3. I'm planning on going up and having a look. If I do get there and get some piccys I'll post them up.

Gary

Gents,

Here's a small selection from what I was able to get. I was lucky to get these as I think they underestimated by far how many people were going to turn up. I waited two hours, and I gather by the time I got on the queue had already been closed. They'd have had thousands if the weather had been better. No bridge shots as no access to there I'm afraid, and photography was restricted inside the ship, it was mostly limited to the decks.

IMG_9832-1_zps7b7553a8.jpg

IMG_9908_zpsfdaf6f28.jpg

IMG_9904_zpsc1a6a4ae.jpg

IMG_9900_zps5a6e6add.jpg

IMG_9849_zps17a4a510.jpg

IMG_9879_zpsd11bec80.jpg

A training flight of two Lynx HMA8's was embarked from 702 NAS.

IMG_9839_zps3c35f942.jpg

IMG_9896_zps6410438a.jpg

IMG_9873-2_zps183db0b3.jpg

Nice ship, and a lot more roomy inside than some of the others I've had a look at over the years. Still think the Type 45's are woefully under armed for their size and price tag. Dauntless doesn't even have Phalanx fitted, although I gather both that and Harpoon will be fitted during the forthcoming upgrade.

Gary

Could all those members who have posted photos here please contact Julien, our walkround co-ordinator, to give him permission to use them in our Walkround section? Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Found it !!

Not a great photo, but if you consider that I was about 2-3 miles away and bobbing around in a boat I suppose it`s not that bad.

DSCF0586_zpsda2b42e4.jpg

Great pic - have passed this many times while living in Portsmouth, its on top of Portsdown Hill and great burger van 1/2 a mile away from this. You can drive meters along side this and its huge.