Type 45 Destroyer Reference photos

j22mdr

I took those last may apparently it was the last time you would see 2 type 42s sailing together shame really lovely ships and sound amazing too

Thanks Mark.

I would recommend the boat tours around the harbour to anyone wanting to get some close-up photos.

Have you seen the Type 45 training facility on the hillside overlooking Portsmouth ? I have a blury photo somewhere, very strange seeing a Type 45 sailing across the countryside !!

John

Edited by John Day

I haven't been up there for years, when I went to a wedding at Fort Nelson just down the road. That's one hell of a construction, and I wonder if the housing estate in the foreground have any mobile phone problems? I take it the radars are active?

Yes they are active I will get some close ups at the weekend

dont worry about hijacking more photos the better is it ok to save them to my folders

That's one hell of a construction, and I wonder if the housing estate in the foreground have any mobile phone problems? I take it the radars are active?

I have a feeling they're doing a lot of sector blanking and electronic beam steering otherwise they'd probably be blanking out the TV as well!

@ Mark: Some close up pics would be good. I saw a similar facility last summer not far from Cowes on the IOW.

@Velociweiler: The more pics the merrier. Gotta love the Type 42.

@grahamwalker: Resin Warrior and Victory in 1:700 on the cards this year, but not sure when ( dont ask who....still Top Secret !! )

it was built by the company making the radar to ensure everything went together ,it was up a long time before the ships were built . The ball spins and is cooled by water pumped up the mast i was told the weight of the ball not sure but think it was over 100 tons

I spent many a happy week on Rame Head when in Sea Cadets, sad to hear that she's been scrapped. Last I had heard of her she was being used as an accomodation ship in Belfast Lough.

Great shots all round.

When I was a single lad I used to make regular train trips down to Portsmouth, do a harbour trip or tour, train back to Fratton Park, walk up to Modeltoys to stock up on Modeldecals then back on the train to Bridgend.

Now I'm married (to a Hampshire lass) don't have the time even though Gill's family is still in that area, but once my daughter is old enough to be interested I'll take her on the harbour tour, pity is we might not have a Navy by then.

Even if there are not many ships in port, I would still recommend visiting. We took our 8 year old son onboard HMS Victory and he loved every moment of it. He also loved the Warrior and the indoor hands-on area......oh, and lets not forget HMS Alliance over in Gosport.

@ Mark: Some close up pics would be good. I saw a similar facility last summer not far from Cowes on the IOW.

@Velociweiler: The more pics the merrier. Gotta love the Type 42.

@grahamwalker: Resin Warrior and Victory in 1:700 on the cards this year, but not sure when ( dont ask who....still Top Secret !! )

John i will go and get some pics on saturday of it close up for you

Just wondering could we pin this topic as a Type 42 and Type 45 sharing place for pictures, details, anything to do with these ships and modelleing them