Airfix Land Rover 1:43 update 22-2 - Done

Neal

A christmas gift of one of my favourite vehicles and something completely different modelling wise for me.

photo-173.jpg

Here's the contents (plus a bit of paint I've splashed on)

photo-174.jpg

The kits a bit of a contrast; the body has a some lovely crisp recessed panel lines and the cabin is OK for the size. The observant of you will have noted that there are only 4 wheel and there's no tread at all on the tyres, not sure if there's anything that can be done to improve that. Anyway a bit of fun, I'll probably do a little dio but not decided what yet.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

A nice kit. From memory the wheels are a bit thin. I would cut some disks of plasticard and sandwich them between the wheel halfs to thicken them a bit

Thanks for the tip off

I'm sure the tyres are fine if you put a 1:43 MOT fail notice on the passenger seat..

Now there's an idea for the dio. . .

Bit of time this evening cleaning up some ejector pin marks and this monstrosity on the back door.

photo-175.jpg

Painted the dash and chassis and gave them a bit of a dry brush. They've both come up quite nicely. I'll probably play with the gloss and matt finish on the chassis later.

photo-176.jpg

From the pics I've found of series 3 interiors it looks essentially black, with black seats, black floor and black everything else, I this it'll look quite toy like if I just splash black everywhere so I'm going to use a range of black, NATO black, German grey and maybe a lighter grey for the rear floor.

I've picked up some Tamiya sky blue as the body colour but looking at it now it might be a bit light and bright so I think I'll mix in a bit of grey for the final coats.

Edited by Neal

Finished painting all the seats, added a spot of dry brushing, then couldn't resist dry fitting it together. Added some rust spots to the frame and highlighted some of the natural metal parts.

photo-177.jpg

Can't decide whether to varnish it and apply some flory wash to interior or not bother as you can't see anything once the body's on.

IMG_6578.jpg

Not a lot to show, gave the interior and chassis a matt coat of Windsor & Newton acrylic matt varnish I've not used it before and it brushed on very nicely, I will gloss coat the seats at the weekend to make them look a bit more vinyl.

After reading the link from Dave a couple of times and rummaging round for some offcuts I've come up with my own interpretation of the tread cutting tool.

photo-178.jpg

I've cut quite a deep slot so the razor saw sits on its stiffening bar at the top, this stops me sawing too deep. I couldnt find any thin stips of wood so I've glued on stiff card to centralise the wheel. There are 10degree marks around the edge to the cuts are evenly spaced. I'm doing the wheels in halves still so they sit square to the wood.

I've complete one half, and it looks ok and bit of a sand and tidy up and they'll look ok I think, just 252 cuts to go.

Watching with interest, and glad the link was useful.

Cheers Dave.

Ok, quick update accompanied by a very poor picture.

Gave the frame and the seat covers a gloss coat. Decided to add the 2WD, low ratio selector and a hand brake, still working on some pedals. Also wanted to try some some scratch building with some coiled wire so there's now a small CB radio for the passenger.

photo-179.jpg

nice work mate.makes into a cracking little kit really terry

Cheers Terry.

Finished off the pedals, fixed the interior together then gave it and the chassis a going over with Florey's dark wash.

There's not much clearance to the wheel now the seats are in

photo-180.jpg

With that finished, I've masked the roof and laid on the first exterior coat, the colours not too bad. It has shown up the inadequacies of my filling and sanding though so back out with the filler.

photo-181.jpg

Looking good, nice to see an older kit get made up. You dont see meny of these built!

Still following with interest......

Thanks chaps.

I happened to be at the Gaydon motor heritage centre today and they had this there:

photo-182.jpg

Ao I took a few reference shots, surprising how much bare metal there is down the sides and rear.

Edited by Neal

Nothing worthy of a picture I'm afraid. I've got two of the wheels together now, they still need sanding and finishing and tread needs cutting on the two remaining halves.

I wasn't happy with the exhaust so I've added a better end pipe from some evergreen tube. I've also drilled the large hole in the rear of the frame and repainted some of the under body to match the reference pictures.

There wasn't anything wrong with it but I've also spent a good hour messing about with the weathering of the interior and the underbody

Right, that's the wheels all done. Not very exciting, tyres painted NATO black, nuts painted with a tooth pick, hubs brush painted black and silver, then the whole lot was dry brushed. Isn't it great with acrylic how quickly you can get on different colours.

Here are the finished items, just need a varnish and wash.

photo-185.jpg

And dry fitted in situ. What do you think?

photo-184.jpg

photo-186.jpg

Also gave the body another coat, one more should see it done.

Edited by Neal

Not had much chance to make any real progress. In most of the photos I've seen of the LWB the car has a roof rack, an hour with a pack of 0.5 x 0.25mm evergreen strip and I have this:

photo-187.jpg

It is very slightly twisted but I think it'll pull straight when its mounted on the defender.

Edited by Neal

Couple of coats of blue and the exterior is finished. Attached the front grill as well and masked and roughly painted the inside of the doors. The chassis and interior are glued together now as well.

Couldn't resist peeling off the roof masking.

photo-188.jpg

On the home straight now.

That looks a lovely finish on the body and roof. I'm really looking forward to seeing this done.

Cheers Dave.

Tried the roof rack on the unmasked roof and the twist is still there and the legs are a little short so some modifications are going to be needed.

The rear door is on, the inside of the body is all painted and the exterior is pretty much there bar a bit of detailed painting. I've put on a couple of coats satin klear so I can get a wash on next week. Then it's just glazing and final assembly.