F-15S, 93-0872, Royal Saudi Air Force, Khamis Mushait AB.

Hello all,

Here is my second entry. 1/48 Revell F-15E converted to a Royal Saudi Air Force F-15S.

The kit:

IMG_3602.jpg

Aftermarket:

IMG_3603.jpg

I will be using the Wolfpack Designs F-15S conversion set, Two Bobs decals and Pavla seats.

Contents of the Wolfpack set:

IMG_3604.jpg

Reference:

IMG_3605.jpg

I read in The Times newspaper on Friday that Saudi jets have, reportedly, been attacking terrorist camps in Yemen, presumably with the F-15S. I may try and find what loads they used for such missions. If I can't find anything, I'll load it up with 4x GBU-10's on the CFT's, something else along the centre, 2x fuel tanks and 4x AIM-9's.

Dave

• Like 2

Nice choice dude!! I'm feeling a bit out of place by not doing either a US aggressor or using an academy kit... ;)

However if I get the MTD done, I do have decals for two F-15C's from the JASDF aggressors. So we got one covered ;)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Edit : F-15C's?? I meant F-15DJ's... Least that's what they are on the box. It's amazing what you think about while at work... :P

Edited by Dazzio

Thanks Phil and Dazz. F-15DJ sounds good!

Phil, the Wolfpack stuff is great. Detailed and easy to work with, though some of the parts are becoming harder to find, especially their great F-14 sets!

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping to start this one in the next few days. Been doing a bit of research regarding the weapons load-outs.

My initial plan was to load it with 4x GBU-10 but I think that may be a little bland! I've seen a few pictures on the net of a S model with Mavericks on the wing pylons so this got me thinking....

2X GBU-10's on one CFT, a fuel tank down the centre, 6x CBU-105's or MK82's on the other CFT, 4x AIM-9 and 2x Maverick on the wing stations.

4x GBU-10's on the CFT's, 1x GBU-24 on the centre line, 2x fuel tanks and 4x AIM-9 on the wings.

2x GBU-12 and 3x MK82 on one CFT, fuel tank on the centre line, 2x GBU-12 and 3x CBU-105 on the other CFT, 2x GBU-10 and 4x AIM-9 on the wings.

2x GBU-10 on one CFT, GBU-15 pod on the centre, 2x AIM-7 on the other CFT, 1x GBU-15, 1x fuel tank and 4x AIM-9 on the wings.

Really not sure what to go for! If anyone has details of actual F-15S loads, i'd be most grateful!

Dave

Hoping to start this one in the next few days. Been doing a bit of research regarding the weapons load-outs.

My initial plan was to load it with 4x GBU-10 but I think that may be a little bland! I've seen a few pictures on the net of a S model with Mavericks on the wing pylons so this got me thinking....

2X GBU-10's on one CFT, a fuel tank down the centre, 6x CBU-105's or MK82's on the other CFT, 4x AIM-9 and 2x Maverick on the wing stations.

4x GBU-10's on the CFT's, 1x GBU-24 on the centre line, 2x fuel tanks and 4x AIM-9 on the wings.

2x GBU-12 and 3x MK82 on one CFT, fuel tank on the centre line, 2x GBU-12 and 3x CBU-105 on the other CFT, 2x GBU-10 and 4x AIM-9 on the wings.

2x GBU-10 on one CFT, GBU-15 pod on the centre, 2x AIM-7 on the other CFT, 1x GBU-15, 1x fuel tank and 4x AIM-9 on the wings.

Really not sure what to go for! If anyone has details of actual F-15S loads, i'd be most grateful!

Dave

Hi Dave,

I think this one will look great.: 2X GBU-10's on one CFT, a fuel tank down the centre, 6x CBU-105's or MK82's on the other CFT, 4x AIM-9 and 2x Maverick on the wing stations.

Something quite different from all the rest.

/Bosse

Brief start made today. First up, I added the Saudi specific antennae to the rear portions beside the stabilisers:

IMG_3712.jpg

Intakes were assembled then the fuselage put together. Easy as 1, 2, 3!

Weapons load. I decided on something 'different' so here it is:

IMG_3713.jpg

2x GBU-10 on one CFT, GBU-24 down the centre, 3x MK-82 & 3x CBU-87 on the other CFT, 2x Fuel tanks and 4x AIM-9 on the wings. The GBU's are from Hasegawa Weapons set D, the others are from a Kinetic F-16.

I have also found out that the RSAF have decided to retrofit all their F-15S airframes with General Electric engines, replacing the P&W standard engines...example

Luckily, I have 2 GE engines spare from the Academy Ra'am that I am robbing parts from. I had initially thought that the Ra'am had GE engines, but it in fact has P&W engines with the 'Turkey Feathers' still in place.

More to come

Dave

Edited by DaveJL
  • Like 1

More done today. Wings added:

IMG_3728.jpg

Prepped the cockpit for all the detailed painting. Note the instrument panels are from the Wolfpack set as they are slightly different to the USAF panels:

IMG_3732.jpg

Tomorrow, I will paint the cockpit, close up the forward fuselage and hopefully attach this to the rear section.

More to come.

Dave

• Like 1

A bit more to show. Cockpit has been painted:

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

The GE engines being pinched from an Academy Ra'am kit:

IMG_3735.jpg

I've dry-fitted them to the Revell kit and they slot right in. The tail fin with the 'chunky' ECM pod had to be modified as the Saudi Eagles have a 'skinny' pod on both fins:

IMG_3736.jpg

GPS dome added to upper fuselage (just need to sand off the excess glue!!)

IMG_3741.jpg

I then inserted the cockpit to the front fuselage sections and, once dry, added this to the rear fuselage, left to dry for an hour, added the fins and then the intakes. Did I mention before that this kit is a GIFT to build? :lol:

IMG_3740.jpg

Next up is to add the CFT's and tidy up the minimal gap at the fuselage join.

More to come.

Dave.

• Like 1

Not much of an update today. Just added the CFT's and the fuel dump valves. The left CFT didn't fit down overly well at the rear, hence the tape!

IMG_3766_zps5c4374ca.jpg

Next up is to add all the pylons etc.

More to come.

Dave

• Like 1

Good going Dave, do you not do any gardening?!! :winkgrin: . I was thinking of starting a DaveJL G.B., has to be finished in 2 weeks though. Any more planned?

Sean