F-15E, 90-0227, 391st FS, 366th FW, Operation Enduring Freedom, 2001.

Hello all,

Here is my first entry for this GB; A 1/48 Revell F-15E Strike Eagle in the markings of the 391st Fighter Squadron, the 'Bold Tigers' during Operation Enduring Freedom in late 2001.

The kit:

IMG_3597.jpg

The lovely looking plastic:

IMG_3598.jpg

Aftermarket:

IMG_3599.jpg

I'll be using the Wolfpack Designs OEF update set, Two Bobs 'Mountain Home Avengers' decals, Pavla ejection seats, Two Mikes cover set and Eduard Remove Before Flight tags.

The contents of the Wolfpack set:

IMG_3600.jpg

Reference material:

IMG_3601.jpg

The jet will be marked as 90-0227 which was delivered to the USAF in July 1991. The jet was deployed to Al Jaber, Kuwait in early October 2001. During 3 months of operations, the jet dropped 2x GBU-10's, 2x MK-82's and 30x GBU-12's.

I plan to load the jet with a 'typical' CAS set up: 9x GBU-12's, 2x AIM-120's, 2x AIM-9's and 2x fuel tanks. These will be sourced form the spares.

Been looking to build this jet for a while as I managed to get the decals for a bargain $3 about 2 years ago!

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Nice one.

You can't go wrong with the Revell kit.

I used it for my Ra'am build a few years back.

Nice ordnance choice also.

The more GBU-12 the noiser..... :D

Good luck with your build.

/Bosse

Thanks Phil. Thought i'd break the monopoly that Academy seems to have on this GB!

Only 1 F-14 on the bench at the minute and it's near the decalling stage. Hope to have it done in the next week or two. The F-15 will just have to sit alongside the 'cat!

Dave

Start made today! Firstly, I assembled and sprayed the cockpit, ready to add all the detailed painting:

IMG_3619.jpg

The cockpit is one of the best OOB i've seen. You really don't need an aftermarket one, just some seats. Next, I built up all 9 GBU-12's, 2x AIM-9's, 2x AIM-120's and the fuel tanks. The bombs are from Hasegawa weapons set D, the AIM-120's from a Kinetic F-16, while the AIM-9's and tanks are from the kit:

IMG_3620.jpg

I also built up the intakes (will be adding FOD covers so didn't faff about here) and closed up the fuselage. This could easily be the best fitting fuselage i've ever built! Only a small gap on the right wing needs tidied up.

IMG_3618.jpg

Next up is to paint all the switches, screens etc in the cockpit and add the forward fuselage.

More to come.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

More done today. First job was to finish the cockpit:

IMG_3625.jpg

IMG_3629.jpg

All the switches etc were picked out with some cocktail sticks. Once dry, I closed up the front fuselage:

IMG_3630.jpg

Perfect fit! Next, I added the tailfins to the main fuselage:

IMG_3631.jpg

IMG_3632.jpg

You can see the minimal filler that is required. Top job Revell!!

Once everything had dried, I attached both fuselage sections and the intakes:

IMG_3639.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

Again, the fit was damn near perfect. I have to say, this is probably the best fitting model kit i've ever built, and I include the Tamiya F-16 in there!

Next up is to add the CFT's and sand off the minimal filler.

More to come.

Dave

Thanks chaps. It's really a lovely kit, one of the best without doubt! (in my head anyway :lol: )

Just a pity Revell hasn't updated the tooling for the K and I models like Academy has.

Dave

Thanks chaps. The kit really is that good, I can't commend it highly enough! It's one of those kits that you want to keep cracking on until suddenly you realise it's finished!

Not quite ready for paint yet. Another days building should see to that.

Dave

Are these Revell F-15E's really that hard to get now? I thought that they had just reissued it in the new Revell box design, along with things like the Mig-25? They do seem to be regarded as the finest example of any Eagle in 1:48.