Hasegawa 1/48 - 65th Aggressor Squadron F-15D

I'm in with this Bad Boy!

01-1_zpsaef7d977.jpg

Here's the kit. I'll use a set of Aires seats & main decals by Afterburner which are currently on route over the pond thanks to Lloyd

SDC13778_zps7f40a51f.jpg

Can't wait to sink my teeth into it! :ike:

Edited by Dan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers fellas, some small progress to report...

With all the skill of a two bit budget surgeon operating out of some eastern European hell hole... I attempted first the delicate operation of attaching the kit supplied photo etch to the exhausts... I felt it was a make or break step, so opted to tackle this first. I hope you'll agree it was a success!

Moving on to the cockpit I cackhandedly made my first mistake! Glueing the front bulkhead too far forward, this I only realised after the cement had well and truly set and I did a test fit of it all... Cue much swearing and anger the whole cockpit assembly almost got flattened there and then with a big ham fist!

Anyway, I restrained myself, left it for a while and came back to it with new optimism, I flooded all around the joins with cement and once it started to melt I gradually edged the thing back to where it should be. This left an unsightly area forward of its new position so I covered over that with two small pieces of fuse wire either side and now it's all right :)

I've also changed my mind on the Aires seats I have (read, feared the etch and bottled it), I'm wondering whether or not to make this model In flight? As you'll see in the pictures below, I've pinched some pilots from a couple of F-16 kits and after amputating all limbs or otherwise changing them to fit I think they look rather good, they're also mounted on the kit supplied seats and I personally think they're not too bad. Not 100% sold on the idea yet and going to pick up some of the quickboost ACES II's to try also. Enough waffling, here's the pics.

01-1.jpg

02-1.jpg

03-1.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers

Yes Bosse it's the Hasegawa PE included with the kit, why? Is that somehow different/inferior to your regular PE from specialized aftermarket companies?

Small progress update. I've now decided upon doing my model in flight and today have lain down the base colours on the pilots and seats, I added some straps made from masking tape and am rather pleased with the look so far :)

04-1_zps4fb243d1.jpg

Edited by Dan
  • Like 1

Nice pilots.

Yes, there is a difference.

I find Hasegawas stainless steel PE much harder to work with than Eduards.

The metal it self is much harder and it's not so easy to bend as brass.

I also think that brass take CA-glue better than stainless steel.

But that's just me.

/Bosse

Some nice progres here Dan!

I saw you were looking for the right paint. While converting the FS numbers I came to ModelMaster 1508 or 2131 for the light blue and 2031 for the darker blue.

Ofcourse the local hobby shop didn't have them but they converted them to Humbrol 47 and 15.

Hope this helps.

The work you have done on the pilots has moved me towards including the pilots in my build. I was not going to include them but I might just add them in given how great yours look in the pit.

Excellent work and very inspiring.

Montgomery from Poona

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Go for it Monty! Pilots in 32nd would look great and I can't say I've seen it done before.

More progress to report... After faffing around far to long I decided a couple days back to pull my finger out and get on with it... Most of the assembly is now complete and the cockpit is painted, i just need to attach a few small parts and the canopy then my model is ready for priming up and painting.

Here's a few shots showing where I'm at with it.

SDC10004_zpsdef7b081.jpg

SDC10010_zps8db12d80.jpg

SDC10011_zpsf7540bbe.jpg

SDC10013_zps6999310b.jpg

Dan

• Like 1