1/144 F-15 ACTIVE - ** Finished ** 15/04/13

Hello one and all,

This is my first GB, hope I don't cock it up! :banghead: Anyhow while I wait clarification about "What-ifs", I post what I wanted to do and then what I will be doing if not. First one I wanted to do was a plane I used a lot when I had my old PS2 out. It's from the computer game Ace Combat Zero : The Belkan War (I know the two main aircraft in this game where F-15C's but I am not doing them... yet) its called the F-15 ACTIVE, as far as I am aware there was only one of these aircraft made and is now retired. It was used for lots of experiments and was also the first aircraft that I knew of that had thrust vectoring nozzles both 2D and 3D ones. Well here is the scheme I wanted to do, from the game.

f15smtdsorcerer.jpg

I must apologise for the crappy picture, but you get the point.

a001175223421268.jpg

Here is the actual "squadron" I will be doing and the aircraft. I do not own the artwork and I have no idea whom to ask either, but originally it belongs to Namco-Bandai.

ac0f15active.jpg

Not much in the way of stencils there, but I will see what I can source from my spares. Also I think that middle fuel tank should be a gun pod as the gun was removed for the canards. If anyone is looking at the canards and thinking "Hang on... they look familiar!!" It's because they have come from an F-18's horizitonal stabilizers. I had to check that one up on NASA's website, even I didn't believe it! The only thing I am going to have difficulty with is, the squadron badge, triangles/bars and the star. If you are wondering why the markings on this fictitious aircraft/country look like the ones used by America, its because in the game, Osea is based on America. I am planning on making my own decals for this one also. I need to learn a few things for this one before I can decal it. Now if this isn't allowed I will be making the proper version of this plane that NASA flew and will be building this one in the background for fun.

mcdonnelldouglasf15smtd.png

I will be using the great Revell 1/144 F-15E Strike Eagle (what the original was made from), and also I will be using the Zactomods upgrade set as well as the Retrowings sets (once they arrive). In a stroke of pure planning greatness (or pure fluke you decide!) I already have the F-18 canards from when I made my F-18D, the Retrowings set for the control surfaces came with spare horizontal stabilizers but I never used them. So I will be using them on here. I will post up the bits as and when they arrive. I am hoping it will be soon. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio
  • Like 2

Charley420, that made me laugh. Never heard of 1/144 referred to as the "ikkle scale" before but it fits :)

Dave, thank you I might just do both tbh.

Monty, thank you, hope I don't disappoint.

I was thinking about this some more last night, as I am doing the MTD/ACTIVE (different engines iirc) I won't need the burners from Zactomodels. So once the Retrowings stuff turns up, I am all sorted. In a stroke of pure luck again, I have some NASA decals of the right size to go on the second of the two aircraft. So that's sorted now too :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Thanks for the kind words Dan and Marlin, really looking forward to building this one now. Or attempting it, trying to decide what markings go on the aircraft is a pain. Because depending if it was the STOL/MTD/ACTIVE or the other experiment that escapes me now, it would of had different markings/badges. All good fun.

Kind Regards

Dazz

So Saturday came and I was egar to start, like everyone else by the looks of it!!! :)  I'll start with the sprue shots and then go on from there.

img0877nk.jpg

Thought I would put a penny and 1 US Cent to give you an idea of the size.

img0878d.jpg

img0879ty.jpg

img0873gs.jpg

So first thing I done was to give the Retrowings bits a little clean, so that was 2 times each of the F-15E cockpit set and F15C cockpit set too.  As you can see got some nice detail there, will look forward to bringing out that, or attempting it.

img0890sh.jpg

I thought I would start on the cockpit area and the instructions tell you to cut some parts off, just took this picture to show you what I have taken off.

img0891wq.jpg

Here is the cockpit all sanded and cleaned of flash and fitted in the nose bit.  I got lots of room to put some weights in there which I am happy about, usually I struggle to find room. 

img0889y.jpg

Just done this picture to give you a *rough* idea of what it will look like.  I have made up the little stake things that the Canards will sit in.  Decided to get the canards sorted out before I even stick the nose or fins down.  I was going to do more than this when I noticed that my little "pot" of glue, I got one of those Revell needle glue things, had it's tip ripped off and all the glue has poured out... Christmas has been bad for my models, first I have 3 models "disappear" (we think stolen, long story) and now the glue has all dried up.  The annoying bit about this was that I was in Hobbycraft 2 hours before I started this, could of gotten some glue then.  Well this be where I am upto until I get some glue.   Not much of a start I know... I do apologise.

img0887uc.jpg

And here is my plan C, D, and E.  Just thought I would post this here for the time being. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Wow, there is no way that I have the dexterity to be able build like that. I'd clumsily lose the entire model to the carpet monster!

What is your plan for the markings? Have you got some NASA decals?

Cheers Neal, hoping to get more done soon.

It's not that bad actually, SaintsPhil. My eyes are knackered anyhow, so I cant tell if I go boss-eyed anyways. Actually looking forward to painting this one.

Kind Regards

Dazz

Wow, there is no way that I have the dexterity to be able build like that. I'd clumsily lose the entire model to the carpet monster!

What is your plan for the markings? Have you got some NASA decals?

Well I'm cheating there, I'm building it in the kitchen and we have tiled floor, so if I loose any bits it's because it pinned off into the sink or the dog hair (that happens a lot!!).

As for the markings, I'm gonna try to make my own. My back up plan is to use some of the decals from my Shuttle, they are the same size. Being that my model is 1/144 I can get away with dodgy pictures as they will all be scaled down. It's the stencils I'm concerned about. I'm gonna make some decals for what-ifs as well while I'm at it.

The Revell kit looks like a little gem

I'm quite impressed with what I see.

Great work so far Dazz :thumbsup2:

/Bosse

It's a great little kit with lots of detail. I reckon it'll give a lot of 1/48 kits a run for their money! However the decals are terrible... Just terrible. Sort the decals out and you've got a great little model.

Kind Regards

Dazz

Well I'm cheating there, I'm building it in the kitchen and we have tiled floor, so if I loose any bits it's because it pinned off into the sink or the dog hair (that happens a lot!!).

The dog hair thing happens a lot to me too! I have to be really thorough cleaning the model off before paint these days.

I have managed to teach him to fetch my roll of masking tape when I drop it and it rolls across the room though! They have their uses!!

This is going to be great when done.

Montgomery

Thank You Montgomery, I hope I can get it done and to an at least satisfactory level. :)

However it's little it looks great. The kit looks way better than the Dragon I'm wokin on.  Nice work on the modifications by the way.

I would say the kit is miles better than the Dragon, then again the mould is dated 2011 so that could be why, I think the Dragon one is from 1990-ish??

The dog hair thing happens a lot to me too! I have to be really thorough cleaning the model off before paint these days.

I have managed to teach him to fetch my roll of masking tape when I drop it and it rolls across the room though! They have their uses!!

I wish my dogs where that smart, I have 3 Old English Sheep dogs, wouldn't be so bad if they could help with the painting... boom boom! :banghead: Sorry couldn't resist...

Anyhow, what I have done, I will just post pics up and comment later.

img0901gr.jpg

Here is the canards attachment points, I think I have done them a little too thick.  I will have to look into this one.

img0900mg.jpg

One of the two seats, I've found so many different pictures of these seats in so many different colours (age I am guessing?) that I just went with what paints I had readily available :P

img0899xkk.jpg

The office, I have gotten the colours so wrong here.  Please bear in mind that this is 1/144 and those little dots where made with an sharpened cocktail stick.  I was literally going cross eyed doing this one!!!  Don't think you will see hardly any of it anyhow when it's all sealed up.

I'm hoping to get more of it done over the next few days as the gf is busy with lots of cakes... yay... :hanging:

I welcome all and any criticism for this one, be as harsh as you want.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

You have done a great job painting the details in the cockpit and seats. Amazing detail for 1/144th.

Like others have said, there is no way I could get results like you have Dazz.

Looking forward to seeing more. :speak_cool:

Thank you RM20886, a lot of work did go into those seats and cockpit. Just wished the tub and IPs where not on the same part. Does make things a little harder.

Hope you enjoy the build. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

I have taken to using 3x magnifying glasses when building the 1/32 scale models as some of the details are so small. I am going to try and find greater magnification glasses as the ones I have are brilliant, but some of the parts are so small that I find it hard to see and paint them. I admire anyone working on smaller scale models and getting the details so correct. I don't know how you do it but full credit to you.

Given I have excellent eyesight, even for an old guy and I don't wear glasses at all, using the magnifying glasses when modelling gives me a tremendous headache so I have to try and avoid too much time using them.

Bit like SWMBO actually.

Monty

• Like 1

I have taken to using 3x magnifying glasses when building the 1/32 scale models as some of the details are so small. I am going to try and find greater magnification glasses as the ones I have are brilliant, but some of the parts are so small that I find it hard to see and paint them. I admire anyone working on smaller scale models and getting the details so correct. I don't know how you do it but full credit to you.

Given I have excellent eyesight, even for an old guy and I don't wear glasses at all, using the magnifying glasses when modelling gives me a tremendous headache so I have to try and avoid too much time using them.

Bit like SWMBO actually.

Monty

Thank you, Monty. Thats kinda the opposite from me, I'm short sighted and I have to wear glasses about 90% of the time because I can not see a flipping thing farther than 3 foot away. However things in close I can pic out without any problems. According the RAF medical I had, I've got 20/20 vision... thats totally wrong! Thank you for the words of encouragement as well :)

Pretty impressive!

Thank you, Matcham hope you liked what you have seen thus far. :)

I done some more work on her yesterday, however it was only filling in holes and sanding plus getting the canards attachment points flush. Not worth any picture I didn't think. Hopefully I can work some more on her tomorrow and have something worthy of posting. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz