Ferrari 365 GTB Daytona -- Italeri 1/24

And what did I learn from this one?

The Italeri kit is really nicely moulded, being accurate, precise and delicate, and a great compromise between scale accuracy and engineering. You should work on the assumption that any primer and paint will stop it fitting together properly, so scrape off and clean any bonding surfaces.

The interior is simple, with few parts, but if you have the right references, detail painting will result in a great impression, because the parts you get are crisp and finely rendered.

There are only a couple of real gotchas in assembly. The lovely chassis will not fit under the lovely body unless:

1) You make sure that the engine is sitting properly and as low as possible in the chassis frame. This will mean cleaning out the channel that the rear thin support cross member is supposed to fit into, and making sure that the two small diagonal brackets that fit onto the engine sides are firmly fitted into their sockets on the chassis.

2) Open out and sand the U-channel in the hinge for the bonnet and fix the thing finally into position with the bonnet taped down into place.

3) Even the above is not enough. You'll need to thin down the pivot/axle end of the windscreen wipers DRAMATICALLY if the bonnet is to close over them properly.

4) The reservoir on the brake master cylinder will get struck between the upper (bodywork) and lower (chassis) part of the left wheel well. On reflection, I'd either fit the whole assembly at the end, or cut off the master cylinder from the bulkhead and superglue a wire mount point at the bracket centreline, drilling out the master cylinder to receive it. Then, glue the bulkhead to the cockpit tub, and AFTER the whole thing is assembled into the bodyshell, socket the brake cylinder into place on the wire stub.

Once you've done the above, the vertical fit of the body should be good. The fore-and-aft fit is still a bit dubious, so trial fit and make sure you get the front chassis rails under the forward body lip, which may mean shimming out the back edge of the chassis to get a good bond.

This may sound like a lot of fiddling, but overall I think this is a really nice kit, especially for its age!. And there are few Ferraris as dyed-in-the-wool COOOLLL as the Daytona. I'm sure the Fujimi is a lovely kit, but this one cost me less than a tenner, so I'm well-disposed to like it!

bestest,

M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

599? Just another ugly modern Ferrari - but beautifully modelled.

The Daytona is another thing entirely. Beautiful does not do justice to either the original or your stunning model. How the heck do you get such a rich deep gloss?

Great, great builds. I'm not much into moderns so the Daytona is my favourite by far. I've always thought it looked like a well-dressed thug in that sort of frosty blue - possibly my favourite colour for the Daytona. Super builds, thanks for sharing and I enjoyed the WIP too.

Cheers,

Roger

Looks great . I think it looks especially good because you've not painted it red .

Hear hear. It always upsets my how many classic Ferraris started out in nice colours and have been resprayed in Resale Red. And that particular blue / tan combo is my favourite for the Daytona and the 308/328.

Lovely model, that.

Great build and a superb result.

Many thanks for the build tips also, good to have a heads up.

I am also particularly fond of the Daytona over the 599.

Modern stuff just doesn't seem to have the same character or presence. (the 599 is still a good model though!)

Regards,

Steve.

Thanks very much for the kind words, guys. It is a beautiful car, and ever since I saw one in blue in the Top Gear powerboat race challenge, I knew that was the colour I wanted it. I can't remember where I found the pictures online now, but it's the colour scheme chosen by Col Ronnie Hoare of Maranello Concessionaires, the UK importer. The impression I get from reading the article was that it was his "signature" scheme, so I could easily believe he also had a Dino and a 308 in the same colours. As a matter of interest, I currently have 12 Ferraris on the shelf or the bench, of which only 4 (three of them the three GTOs) are in red. 4 blues, two black, one yellow, one white...

Thanks again!

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

• 6 years later...

Very nice indeed on the Daytona, so much so I found one on the Bay at a good price and the seller even had the Tamiya Metallic Blue...sorted

Will be using your pics and notes and hope to finish to your standards :-)