Hasegawa 1/72 F-15A Triple Nickle

Very nice to see an F-15A in air superiority blue, love the white 'LA' fin codes. If I recall correctly they did not stay in this colour scheme for very long, oh the heady days of the mid 70's :thumbsup2:

Michael

Very nice to see an F-15A in air superiority blue, love the white 'LA' fin codes. If I recall correctly they did not stay in this colour scheme for very long, oh the heady days of the mid 70's :thumbsup2:

From what I've read, only the first 20 or so were painted thus - before it was realised they're MORE visible at high altitude.

Thereafter the grey that remains today.

I'm curious about that rib on the air-brake, something that I've never seen before.  Was this really there on early planes?

Last night I managed to mask and paint the green strips atop the fins

F15_Decals3002.jpg
Tonight I've applied the small star decals on those stripes
So this is how she looks
F15_Decals3001.jpg
My student has finished his exams - so I should get better access to my model room :clap2:

• Like 1

Hi plasticsurgeon, great to see an Air Superiority blue jet. Lovely choice

I'm curious about that rib on the air-brake, something that I've never seen before. Was this really there on early planes?

Yes, it was fitted to early production aircraft and later removed.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

Tonight I gave it a coat of matt Klear and I put copper onto the canopy frames.

Hoping to get the undercarriage on and photo tomorrow night - when my student goes out

celebrating the end of his exams :cheers:

Hope you son does well in his exams..good luck to him Tim.

:thumbsup:

And here we have the flyable article.
Canopy frames with copper last night.
Undercariage fitted earlier tonight.
F15_Undercarriage002.jpg
F15_Undercarriage001.jpg
Hopefully missiles tomorrow.
F15_Undercarriage003.jpg

And I re-did the canopy on my Airfix Eagle.
Airfix_F15_Canopy.jpg

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

Looking good P.S., brings back memories

Sean

My sentiments entirely.

Good job.

The copper looks better than the red for the canopy framing. Now you have all of the teeny "No Step" markings to dot around all over the upper surface. :lol: I always liked the way it looked when the stencilling went on. Makes the model nice and busy.

p.s, not that it matters but the interior of the intakes would be blue up to about six feet in where the then become white. ;)

Nice one! I remember the glowing review in Airfix magazine in the late 70s that made me want that kit. I did get one and its still in the loft unmade. Anyone remember the article Scale Models did comparing the (then) new Hasegawa, Revell and Monogram Eagle kits?

Closing this build by showing her weaponry.

Hasegawa_F15A_Eagle_missiles003.jpg

I found VERY FEW photos of Eagles with AAMs

Hasegawa-F15-A-Eagle.jpg

I'll post these to the gallery - but that's me about done :bye:

Hasegawa-F15-A-Eagle.jpg

I'll probably post photos of my 4 Eagles together - when they're down from my loft.

A lot of you have probably spotted that I'm about to start a Lancaster build and Manchester conversion on Battle of the Reich GB, so I probably won't have time to build that Egg Eagle I mentioned :sorry: . In the meantime this GB has been great - and I will continue to watch with interest.

• 8 months later...