Hi guys,

Welcome to the F-15 Group Build.

Saintsphil and myself are your hosts, any questions, please ask!

Plenty of variants to choose from, be it the A/B/C/D/E/I/J/K/S/SG, and there are plenty of kits from 1/144 to 1/32.

This is my first GB as host so i'll try to do my best!

Dave

Well said Dave!

Welcome from me too, I'm really looking forward to this GB.

Like Dave said, any questions just ask! I'm no expert on the F-15, but I'm sure someone will know the answer, there's certainly plenty of us signed up. Let's make it a good one

Phil

Hi Dave and Phil and looking forward to this GB!

I'm not a rivet counter myself but are there any noticeable differences between the A and C model? (I've a C but modelling an A!)

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

PS - anyone who has a spare drop tank in 1/72 would be superb...

The differences between a F-15A to F-15C are small.

The timeframe of the jet has the biggest effect but in model terms the main things to look at are the main gear wheel hubs and ECM antenna fit on pre MSIP jets. Once the MSIP upgrade started on all early F-15C/D's and remaining F-15A/B's in '88/89 at Warner Robbins AFB they were all brought up to the same standard with updated instrument panel,ECM fit including Chaff/Flare buckets. Later in life post Desert Storm you'd see most A/B jets fitted with later C style wheel hubs.

F-15C 84-0001 was the MSIP factory jet to leave the production line in St.Louis prior to that all Eagles looked the same.

Edit: Forgot about the early small speedbrake on early jets AF71-73. Jets from Fiscal year AF74+ had the normal full size speedbrake. The area directly at the bottom speedbrake there is a faired piece that should be a different shape on A/B models but 99.99% of people wouldnt notice the difference

• Like 1

Rule regarding the swap/trade/buy/sell channel has been added!

Don't worry Dermot, easy mistake to make.

Good number of build threads already up. Just a week to go!

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

I put my name in for this GB and I will build an Eagle of some description but, I’m having a nightmare deciding and I’m running out of time. As a real newbie I lack experience and in turn confidence and I’m definitely going to be an OOB builder for quite some time.

So initially I was going to build the Hasegawa ASAT kit I have but I feared that I would not do it justice yet so I was probably going to build a Revell Strike Eagle (as I have 2 of those). But for reasons I can’t explain I am really keen on doing the NASA/Gulfstream Quiet Spike F-15B. However, the aircraft itself is a bit of a mystery, the paint job is probably well beyond me and the decals could prove a big problem.

So far I have ordered (and am still waiting for) the Hasegawa TF-15 ‘Bicentennial Bird’ kit. But I have a feeling that despite the TF-15 being a very early F-15B, the Hasegawa kit might actually be the D/DJ kit. NASA acquired the aircraft from the Hawaii ANG in ’96 so between its birth and that time it may well have had work done that made it more D than B anyway. Plus NASA refer to it as a ‘heavily modified F-15B.

I’m still trying to figure out the blue and gold colours needed but that’s a lesser issue for now.

I’ve ordered some NASA decals but I have no idea until they arrive if they are size appropriate for NASA’s 836. And then they do not include the 836 numbers – so that is a bit of a problem. And perhaps the biggest decal challenge is the Gulfstream logo to go on the spike.

And that brings me to the spike itself. After a fair bit of searching I found some but not all the dimensions of the spike so I can now CAD model something pretty close but not 100% accurate.

I’ve also learnt a few things about the NASA aircraft such as that it had turkey feathers fitted for this project.

Anyway, I guess I have until Saturday to decide between a shot at something that in all honesty is beyond my skill and bordering on the impossible or an OOB Revell Strike Eagle. I do have to start my build thread on Saturday don’t I? And is it allowed to change mid GB?

Sorry to give you my life story here but I am hoping I might get some good advice and or information to help me decide. Plus it’s nice to get this off my chest.

Anyway, I guess I have until Saturday to decide between a shot at something that in all honesty is beyond my skill and bordering on the impossible or an OOB Revell Strike Eagle. I do have to start my build thread on Saturday don’t I? And is it allowed to change mid GB?

You can start a thread anytime throughout the duration of the GB, doesn't have to be for the opening date.

You can also change your mind, nothing is set in stone with regard to modelling! So long as the kit you build is no more than 25% built at the start and you have a thread showing your progress, then you're good to go!

Dave

Dermot,

If your still doing the 9/11 77-0100 jet they were full MSIP jets by 2001.

So it would have the updated IP,you'd need to check the antenna blades under the nose, they maybe the original style or late sweeped back type. Chaff/Flare buckets forward of MLG bays. F-15C style wheel hubs, Sabre drains would be removed as would the tail stinger leaving just the hook sticking out the back ala F-15E. Weapons rails would be the later LAU-128's with ADU-552 adaptors.

Change what you want or just build it out the box and have fun.

As a side note i got to sit in 77-0100 once way back in 1992 when it served as the Sqn Co flagship jet at Soesterberg with the 32nd TFG

I'm still debating whether to join or not as my modelling time is potentially limited in the next 3 months and I want to keep up my 100% completion record in GB's!!!.  

If I do it will be with the 1/48 Revell F-15E (can't remember which boxing) with some AM decals for a Mountain Home bird