Which mesh for Revell's Routemaster?

bruce3371

Hi all, I've recently aquired Revell's Routemaster kit, and I've been reading through some of efforts of modellers on these pages.

I have a question though; what mesh should I get to replace the Routemaster's engine grill? I've read various methods used, like splatter guard mesh from Poundland and etched Mesh from Aber.

What do people recommend that is still available (I can't find any splatter guards at Poundland)?

Alternatively, what mesh from Aber should I get (a part number would be usefull, as I can't judge scale/sizes from online pictures that I've seen!)?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Hi all, I've recently aquired Revell's Routemaster kit, and I've been reading through some of efforts of modellers on these pages.

I have a question though; what mesh should I get to replace the Routemaster's engine grill? I've read various methods used, like splatter guard mesh from Poundland and etched Mesh from Aber.

What do people recommend that is still available (I can't find any splatter guards at Poundland)?

Alternatively, what mesh from Aber should I get (a part number would be usefull, as I can't judge scale/sizes from online pictures that I've seen!)?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Hi, I dont normally venture into this part of the country but saw your thread and there is currently, just started in Januarys issue of Airfix Model World (issue 26), a review build of Revells 1:24 scale bus over 7 pages, finishes in February issue. It is by Alan Firbank, though it might be of interest to you.

Cheers, Don

I used the mesh from a small tea strainer i purchased from wilkinsons for less than a pound, here is my bus finaly completed i sprayed it in halfords peugeot green but i did really want it to be green as the lodekkas in on the buses....

Thanks for the replies everyone. I looked at various options, including tea strainers (the ones I found had the wrong shaped mesh), but In the end I ordered some S06 mesh from Aber, which fit perfectly.

• 2 months later...

I got a splatter guard from Poundworld in Bedford yesterday for mine, different sizes, two in a pack. A bit cheaper that the £37 Revell want for their hard to find etch set methinks. Now all I need is the paint.

I used the mesh from a small tea strainer i purchased from wilkinsons for less than a pound, here is my bus finaly completed i sprayed it in halfords peugeot green but i did really want it to be green as the lodekkas in on the buses....

looks great, where did you get your figures from ? I bought some G scale ones, too small... got a Graupner standing one thats ok for the Conductor, and just waiting for a set of seated figures off eBay that are supposed to be 1/24, but we will see..... hoping one will suit as the driver....