Minicraft CG-47 USS Ticonderoga - 1/700th Scale +++ Finished +++

Bonhoff

Hi All,

While I'm waiting for the M901 to dry I thought I'd pull this one out of its box and attempt to complete it.

Bought while on holiday in 2011 to keep me occupied whilst the missus and her kids went to see the Chuckle Brothers.

And how I wish I'd gone to see the Chuckle Brothers as well....

8337131503_6eb2288369.jpg

8338188908_80c37c4702.jpg

The faults with the kit are many - Hopeless instructions, sprue attachments are huge, poor fit - The decks are particularly rubbish, soft detail but I'm determined to get to the end of this build and put it on my shelf behind the far superior "Pit-Road" Spruance Class Destroyer.

A fair bit of the construction has been carried out already (Mostly at work during my lunch hour) but I'd called a halt when both 5" gun barrels snapped while I attempted to remove them from the sprue.

Fortunately - I'd completed Dragon's 1/700 USS Belleau Wood recently.

Now you may be wondering why a WW2 vintage light carrier would be of use on a cold war cruiser but you wouldn't believe the amount of spare parts left over once you've built the Belleau Wood - And as luck would have it I found a couple of suitable gun barrels in there to replace those broken parts.

Now it's at this stage....

8338190772_cd22244331.jpg

8338190626_4e82b04795.jpg

The misshapen lump on the Helideck is Minicraft's rendition of the helicopter.....

Edited by Bonhoff

Well - reading on another part of the forum about various parties antipathy towards Chinese manufacturers I can only assume that they've never built Minicraft or AMT.

In this kits defence it is labelled 1997 so I can't expect it to match the stuff we get today but the decks have joints in really obvious places and nothing sits level - Poor engineering?

By the time I'd sanded the steps level there was loads of filler needed.

As I was already having trouble with it I took the liberty of making it a waterline model - First time that I'd tried that and at least that seemed to work.

But it's been really difficult to have any enthusiasm to carry on with it... Hence the entry in KUTA V